Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to create a new drive?

• 19-09-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to create a new drive on my pc e.g. Z drive? For example at the moment I have a C, D and E drives. I want to create a seperate drive for saving all my client folders rather than saving it on the C drive with all the other stuff thats on there. I understand that I can create a new folder in the C drive and just save everything in there but I rather keep it seperate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

You create a new drive letter by partitioning your harddrive. This creates logical volumes to which the drive letters get attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

If you are running a 32bit operating system then you are in luck, because I see EASEUS Partition Manager has been renamed to EASEUS Partition Master and they have released a free version for personal use.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

I used the retail version a while back and it did a good job (unfortunately there is risk involved in partitioning as errors may occur and your data may appear to get corrupt, but it is easily recoverable should that ever happen)

The only downside to the free version above is that it doesn't allow you to create a bootable recovery CD should anything bad happen, that's only available in the paid version.

Paragon Partition Manager is another, not free, one. You might get a 30 day trial out of it which should do the job.

Whatever one you use if possible don't create your new partition beside the C: partition. If you are creating a new partition right after the C: partition and something goes wrong, it might mean a total reinstall of the operating system is required.

In EASEUS Partition Master just click on the partition you want to make space available from, move the mouse to the end of the graphic so the mouse turns into a "slider" type, click and drag so the partition gets smaller and leaves "unallocated space". Right click on the unallocated space and create your new partition. Click Apply to commit the changes to the hard drive.

Advertisement