Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre choice - need some advice ...

Options
  • 19-09-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

• Car: 1998 Golf IV 1.9tdi 100+bhp [ok, the cars not built for street-racing ... I want to stay on the road all the same].
    • Size: 195/65 R15
    • Living/Driving: Mostly driving the backroads between Ballymahon-Mullingar and decent roads from Mullingar-Leixlip.
    • I know shag-all about tyres ... started digging on the web a few days ago and have come up with this ...

Have kinda narrowed down to these two:
    • Continental Premium Contact 2 --- €64 delivered with eiretyres.com --- Averages 67% on tyrereviews.co.uk.
    • Bridgestone Turanza ER300 --- €61 delivered with eiretyres.com --- Averages 64% on tyrereviews.co.uk.

I can't find prices/sales locations for these [with correct size] ... any comment folks?
    - Uniroyal RainSport 2 -- price -- where -- Avg. 93% on tyrereviews.co.uk.
    - Falken FK451 -- price -- where -- Avg. 85% on tyrereviews.co.uk.
    - Michelin Primacy HP -- price -- where -- Avg. 84% on tyrereviews.co.uk.
    - Falken FK452 --- price -- where -- Avg. 79% on tyrereviews.co.uk.
    - Uniroyal RainExpert -- €59 del. with eiretyres.com -- Avg. xx% on tyrereviews.co.uk. Any comment?

Maybe the above 5 don't even come in size 195/65 R15 ... any of ye folks in the tyre business might know?
    - Checked blackcircles.com and eiretyres.com and camskill.co.uk for the Uniroyal RainSport 2, Falkens & Michelin --> nothing in 195/65 for sale.

Can anyone offer good advice on my 7 tyre options?

Regards,
    Tony
    :o

195/65/R15 --- Which of the 7 brands would you rate highly? 28 votes

Continental Premium Contact 2
    0%
    Bridgestone Turanza ER300
    25%
    Tipsy MacKid NothingSVpeking97JarrenMr.DavidCarstuck 7 votes
    Uniroyal RainSport 2
    17%
    dingdingTipsy Macsundodger5Kid NothingCarstuck 5 votes
    Falken FK451
    7%
    SVChriscl1 2 votes
    Michelin Primacy HP
    7%
    BadCharlie.Longshanks. 2 votes
    Falken FK452
    10%
    Tipsy MacKid Nothingpeking97 3 votes
    Uniroyal RainExpert
    7%
    Bluefoambazz26 2 votes
    other
    3%
    SV 1 vote
    other
    17%
    Ozeireseanybikerongariteanon11thebull09 5 votes
    other
    3%
    ChristyCent 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Hey Irl-Tony.

You never mentioned Vredestein tyres... the Sportrac 3 & Quatrac 3 are excellent tyres with a compound that doesn't wear too fast, gives very good grip and the sportrac 3 are absolutely fabulous in the rain...

... I've driven on rough west of Ireland roads on the sportrac and they're very very good. The ride is smooth on them and the noise levels are low... I had bridgestones before them and the Vredrestein are lovely.

Camskill.co.uk have you're size 195/65 15 in stock, and the sportrac three are at on offer at a great price.

I got mine before the whole recession business and they were delivered in no time... you can track them on the internet if I remember correctly.

The whole economic thing here now might have you looking for Irish suppliers which is totally understandable... but will give you the link all the same...

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s418p0

The sportrac 3 are about a quarter way down the page retailing at £46.60
    I paid a good bit more for a different size set but have never regretted the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Uniroyal RainExpert
    I've had the falken fk452's they are a high performance tyre and I would highly recommend them. The 451's are not in the same league. You should also add Toyo proxie tr1's to your list and if you want a very budget tyre it would be worth trying kumo estas 35's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Just wondering fella's, where do you go to get them fitted?

Will any tyre place do it? And how much is a fair price to get 2 or 4 tyres fitted?

The 15" Bridgstone Turanza's are €90 in the shop and they're only about €60 on eiretyres...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

hey 999... most tyre places just fit their own... you have to look about for independent fellas... one guy up on Sarsfield Rd (inchicore) used to pop them on for me... Near the Texaco garage.

I forget the price. Maybe 15 each when you do all 4, but I honestly can't remember.

Uniroyal RainExpert
    15 euro each balanced is about right. Casll your local independent fitters. I have use Dave Mc cann in coolmine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

If you have a look at my attached image 'eiretyres_com__200909.JPG' ...

Apparently EIRETYRES have a deal with some local Tyre shops ... €6.00 per tyre ... I need to verify this price though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,218 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Uniroyal RainExpert
    When I was shopping for tyres online I found www.camskill.co.uk cheaper than www.eiretyres.com.

Their delivery is very prompt too, ordered on a Friday and arrived on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Bluefoam wrote: »
    15 euro each balanced is about right. Casll your local independent fitters. I have use Dave Mc cann in coolmine.
    Excellent, I live on the Navan road so that's be dead handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

EIRETYRES have a deal with some local Tyre shops ... €6.00 per tyre

Any idea of where this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Bluefoam wrote: »

Does that 15yoyos cover the fitters taking your old tyres off of you too?

• Advertisement

To B11gt00e,

Cheers ... they look grand aswell ... see them in eiretyres for €59,47
    This is a delivered price and fitting is €6.00 per tyre [to be confirmed].
    See the eiretyres web-site for your nearest 'fitting station partner' !

Regards,
    T

Athlone Tyre Depot
    Delticom © 1.93 As the crow flies about 2,0 km
    Old Galway rdteiretyres.com
    tAthlone / Co West Mead© Delticom 4.17875
    Opening hours:
    • From Monday to Friday 9.00-6 hours
    • Saturday 9.00-5 hours
    The price per tyre (which includes removing the old tyre,
    mounting the new one, putting a new valve in, balancing and VAT) is
    only EUR 6,00
    Plus disposal of the old tyre(s) if required. EUR 2,00
    Alloy wheel rims: EUR 2,00 additional charge
    Unfortunately, due to technical reasons, tyres cannot be delivered directly to this fitting station.

B11gt00e wrote: »
    Hey Irl-Tony.

You never mentioned Vredestein tyres... the Sportrac 3 & Quatrac 3 are excellent tyres with a compound that doesn't wear too fast, gives very good grip and the sportrac 3 are absolutely fabulous in the rain...

... I've driven on rough west of Ireland roads on the sportrac and they're very very good. The ride is smooth on them and the noise levels are low... I had bridgestones before them and the Vredrestein are lovely.

Camskill.co.uk have you're size 195/65 15 in stock, and the sportrac three are at on offer at a great price.

I got mine before the whole recession business and they were delivered in no time... you can track them on the internet if I remember correctly.

The whole economic thing here now might have you looking for Irish suppliers which is totally understandable... but will give you the link all the same...

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s418p0

The sportrac 3 are about a quarter way down the page retailing at £46.60
    I paid a good bit more for a different size set but have never regretted the investment.

Uniroyal RainExpert
    Does that 15yoyos cover the fitters taking your old tyres off of you too?

Yes, includes removal and disposal of old tyres.

sorry folks ... it would have been polite of me to post this sooner ...

I purchased: 2*Vredestein Sportrac 3 195/65 R15 91V from eiretyres.com.
    Delivery was by DPD.
    Balancing & Fitting in 'Athlone Tyre Depot' was €12.00 per tyre.

So far so good. One thing I've noticed as I drive through the lakes on our roads is that my car no longer lunges toward the ditch when I hit deep puddles. Well impressed so far.

Regards,
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I got the same tyres (different size) from them too - price was about the same as Camskill. Fitted by Confey tyres in Leixlip at €10 each all in.
    Have to say they've been fantastic in the wet. Better than Pirelli, Goodyear eagle or Continentals I've had previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Lads when I was looking online for tyres someone here suggested I try Sandyford who matched the online price and included fitting.

I'm in no way associated with them btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement