Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YES Voters - which group are you closest to?

Options
  • 19-09-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

In the spirit of the McKenna Judgment we probably should have this poll for the YES side too.

There are many groups supporting the Lisbon treaty. Some from a center left perceptive, some from a center right perspective, some from business, some from the trade unions and some from general pro-European perspectives.

So to understand from what perceptive you are supporting this treaty from, can you say which of the following groups best represent your support for the Lisbon treaty?

- Fine Gael
    - Labour
    - The Greens
    - Fianna Fail
    - The Liberals
    - Ireland for Europe
    - Generation Yes
    - We Belong
    - SIPTU/ICTU
    - The Charter Group
    - IBEC
    - Irish Farmers Ass.

While perhaps no one group represents your views completely, I would still be interested in hearing which groups reasons for supporting the Treaty are closest to yours?

Mods: Can you add a poll to this perhaps? Also would appreciate it if you could add in a important group that I have forgot.

(Gotta love copy and paste ;))

To start the ball rolling, My views are closest to: Labour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Labour I'd say, though I'm not a member. Labour have an important role to play as they are the main left-wing pro-Europe organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Generation Yes

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No real group in particular.

The EU's track record usually decides it for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

K-9 wrote: »

So thats probably 'We belong' or 'Ireland for Europe' then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Combination of Labour and IBEC.

Business student with a soul kind of thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I don't know. I try not to read the propaganda either for or against, so I don't really know the views of any of the listed groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

How about pro-european, as in pro the instution of the european union and pro the lisbon political reforms and pro keeping ireland's high level of political capital intact on the european stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

gabhain7 wrote: »
    How about pro-european, as in pro the instution of the european union and pro the lisbon political reforms and pro keeping ireland's high level of political capital intact on the european stage.

This thread needs a "just pro-EU" option, as the other thread needs a "just very angry generally" option.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

gabhain7 wrote: »

Than take your pick between:

-We Belong
    -Ireland for Europe
    -Generation Yes
    I don't know. I try not to read the propaganda either for or against, so I don't really know the views of any of the listed groups.

I can understand that. I am trying to understand the ideological underpinning of peoples voting preference. You surely must have some idea of what view IBEC generally takes on things as opposed to to SIPTU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    So thats probably 'We belong' or 'Ireland for Europe' then?

Why "box me off"?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Well I read the business pages, so yes in a general sense I know the positions of the organisations and in a general sense I loath every soul employed by SIPTU (not really, they just make me mad sometimes :D) and am largely indifferent to the waffly talking shop that is IBEC.

I've always supported the European project. The negatives, and I don't deny there are many, have simply never outweighed the positives imo.

Why "box me off"?

Because I want to label you. ;)

A poll would make this a lot easier I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

Generation Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Who are the Liberals?

I really couldn't answer your question since I'm not all that familiar with some of those groups.

Personally though, I'm a secularist, generally very pro-free market, pro-EU and extremely socially liberal, so whichever group is the closest match to me, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Same as above

+

FG
    Labour

and

IBEC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Labour Party for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also have always been a strong supporter of the EU concept in its ability to break down barriers, especially non-existent and invented ones. As an entity it is cumbersome, confusing, frustrating, sometimes absurd but as an experiment in political evolution easily the best thing of the last century.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Also have always been a strong supporter of the EU concept in its ability to break down barriers, especially non-existent and invented ones. As an entity it is cumbersome, confusing, frustrating, sometimes absurd but as an experiment in political evolution easily the best thing of the last century.

I think comparing the second half of the 20th century to the first half by anyone with even rudamentory knowledge of European and Irish history

is enough to come to the conclusion that EU has been a movement in the "right" direction

• Advertisement

Hmm thanks very interesting, i find myself agreeing with a lot of the policies and centrist position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

If there were an anonymous poll I’d vote however don’t want to make my leanings public at the moment. I don’t think ‘pro-EU’ is a valid voting option since all groups listed are pro-EU and choosing pro-EU doesn’t convey any extra information wrt the OP question… likewise ‘none of the above’ or ‘other’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Thanks. Interesting stuff, I guess I'll lump myself in with these!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Yup that's me too.

And of course there was only so much No campaign lying I could tolerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No mention of the IFA OP?

Irish Farmers Association for me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Who are the Liberals?

Good question. It's a wikipedia group as far as I can tell.

Advertisement