Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin vs Belfast, Dublin vs Berlin

Options
  • 19-09-2009 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I checked on daft.ie and compared prices for apartments in Dublin city centre and Belfast city centre. The prices for the apartments in Dublin were usually 2-3 times more expensive. Why should prices be so much more expensive in Dublin than Belfast, what makes Dublin so special?

You could also compare the prices of apartments in Dublin and Berlin and still Dublin is way more expensive.

This information tells me prices have yet a long way to fall in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I suppose Dublin is simply a more desirable place to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Yeah I've a brother living over in Berlin, comes over & back the once a month & it's ondly two-twenty a month he says.
    What would you get for two-twenty a month in Dublin? Not talking City Centre. EVen in the suburbs, you'd be looking at something run-down with no electricity possibly or no running water!
    Dublin is seriously over-priced.
    I was looking at to rent a place in Carlow & one was a 3-Bed House. One-Thirty a Week was all they were looking for. Okay so with bills that'd be 200 max. which is savage value. Works out at 65-70 per room. U wouldn't share for that in majority of Dublin City & COunty & plenty of public transport options in Carlow if you don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

WexCan wrote: »
    I suppose Dublin is simply a more desirable place to live?
    You have not lived in very many places have you?

What makes you believe Dublin is more desirable than Berlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

If you want to live and work in Ireland. In most cases you'll be living and working in Dublin. The demand for work and accommodation, compared to anywhere else in the country, is off the scale.

By all means, if you want to/can live and work in Belfast or Berlin, go for it and take the cheaper rent.
    If everyone did this then rent in Dublin would go down, but i dont see us all moving to Berlin or Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

SLUSK wrote: »
    I checked on daft.ie and compared prices for apartments in Dublin city centre and Belfast city centre. The prices for the apartments in Dublin were usually 2-3 times more expensive. Why should prices be so much more expensive in Dublin than Belfast, what makes Dublin so special?

You could also compare the prices of apartments in Dublin and Berlin and still Dublin is way more expensive.

This information tells me prices have yet a long way to fall in Dublin.

Dublin has three times the population of Belfast, and Belfast also has a huge amount of historical problems that are ongoing due to being retained in the UK. Dublin, generally, is miles safer and has a much higher quality of lfie than Belfast, is better connected to the rest of Europe and rest of Ireland, etc. etc., .

Berlin is a city made for 5 million people with only 3.5 million actually living there. There are still lots of problems in some of the east areas following the USSR occupation (so much like Ireland then).

Compare Dublin to Munich, makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dublin is vastly cheaper compared to Monte Carlo. I guess you have to take other factors into consideration, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

OP can you give us links or examples of the areas your comparing?

Its difficult to comare the 3 if you dont actually know these areas, take for example the falls road compared to donnybrook, this isnt gonna give a good picture of what your trying to achieve... mind u i dont think your trying to achive a geniune comparisson...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yes Dublin is overpriced compared to similar cities across the world. There's nothing new in that. But property prices will fall (along with rents) over the next few years and when the dust settles prices will be more comparable to most other countries.
    What possible reason is there for Dublin to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Pete4779 wrote: »

Compare Dublin to Munich, makes more sense.

Exactly, You cannot compare Berlin to Dublin because Berlin has no industry and there is very little work.I have a friend who lives there but he has a small printing company in Dublin.He diverts his phone to his Berlin apartment and normally comes back to Dublin once every two weeks to meet clients.
    His German wife however is not so lucky,she has masters degree and is fluent in 3 languages but isn't even able to get a job as a waitress in Berlin.
    To compare Dublin to Munich is more realistic as there is so much industry in Munich. In fact when you compare Munich and Dublin property prices you'll find that property in Munich is much higher than in Dublin.
    I have another friend who lives in donnersberger brücke in the centre of Munich and lives in a small one bed flat that his wife owned before they were married.I don't know the value of the flat but they want to move and rent out the apartment and were told by a local estate agent that they would get €1200 a month rent for it.Last year when I was visiting he showed me a 3 bed around the corner from where he lives that he made enquires about,the asking price was €600,000.And donnersberger brücke isn't even a popular part of Munich,a similar apartment in Schwabing would cost about €800,000.

Advertisement