Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The word 'Pirtie'

Options
  • 19-09-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

hey

i heard someone use the word "pirtie" :) (not sure if spelled correctly)
    As a reference to potatoe and was looking online for explanation, it seems that it either originates from donegal or scotland..

anyone know anything about this word? like how it came to be..

one theory was that it meant "poor day" although i don't see the connection.

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My Granny always says it. I always just assumed it was a version of prati (or how ever you spell that) which is the Irish word for a spud (incase you didn't know).

Kind of like how kids are referred to as waynes (again spelling??) which I'm pretty sure is just "wee ones" made into one word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

Kind of like how kids are referred to as waynes (again spelling??) which I'm pretty sure is just "wee ones" made into one word.

i've heard some rural people use "un" for "one" and "way" for "we" in some sentences.
    so, wee ones for some people would be pronounced wee'uns or sound more like way'uns which sounds like waines. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

weiss wrote: »
    hey

i heard someone use the word "pirtie" :) (not sure if spelled correctly)
    As a reference to potatoe and was looking online for explanation, it seems that it either originates from donegal or scotland..

anyone know anything about this word? like how it came to be..

one theory was that it meant "poor day" although i don't see the connection.

cheers

Prátaí (praw-thee) - the Irish for potatoes, so 'purties', AKA spuds :) The king of foods - and so versatile.

So what you're all saying is...... I was right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Aren't you always Tickle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

weiss wrote: »
    i heard someone use the word "pirtie"

I had an ex-housemate used to say that all the time.

Just to be annoying, mostly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

this pronunciation comes from the ulster scots. the british and irish governments have pumped a small fortune into the promotion of the ulster scots language and culture.

as part of the good friday agreement they had to fund promotion of the irish language and to remain fair to both sides, they had to fund ulster scots as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I hate this crap of Ulster Scots. If you're from Ulster, your native language is Gaelic, and if you're from Scotland, you're native language is Gaelic!!!! FFS:rolleyes: What they're trying to pawn off as a new language is just english with a Scottish accent.

And its obvious its the Gaelic word for potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have no information to say eitherway but i dont think it is from the ulster scots, my granny has been using that word all her life as have all my cousins and myself and we are not anywhere near ulster scots. I thought it was just a good Donegal word. As somebody else spelt it before, it is "purties". Another one we used to use was "poundies", not sure where that is from but it is for mashed spuds or spuds that were pounded.

I always thought 'poundies' was mashed potatoes with scallions in them. Well that was how we used it at home anyway.

I moved to Donegal from Derry when I was 9 and that is the first time I heard the word 'purties'. Everyone used to take time of school to go 'purty gathering'. I remember well seeing gangs of boys and girls in trailers on the back of ole massey ferguson tractors heading off to the fields to go 'purty gathering'.and it was dam good money at the time too. (c. 1978).

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    I always thought 'poundies' was mashed potatoes with scallions in them. Well that was how we used it at home anyway.

I moved to Donegal from Derry when I was 9 and that is the first time I heard the word 'purties'. Everyone used to take time of school to go 'purty gathering'. I remember well seeing gangs of boys and girls in trailers on the back of ole massey ferguson tractors heading off to the fields to go 'purty gathering'.and it was dam good money at the time too. (c. 1978).

Hence (perhaps) that old local saying 'as thick as poundies' ;) Too much time away from school?

Hence (perhaps) that old local saying 'as thick as poundies' ;) Too much time away from school?

I am sure that our families outlooks on missing school for purty gathering were similar Babaloushka.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

think my gran calls them prudies

My mum is always banging on about "poundies". As someone already explained I'm 99% sure it's mashed potatos with scallions through, and then you make a well and stick a big lump of butter in it so it melts through.

Isn't mash with scalions also called champ though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ladymarmalade

They call it champ when theres cabbage in it too i think??

We call mashed spuds with butter and onions ' brucheen ' !!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd pronounce it "pur-dies" and usually put on a culchie accent if I'm saying it.

Whats "Boxty"?

Grated potatoe cakes fried in a pan, I think.

Everyone used to take time of school to go 'purty gathering'. I remember well seeing gangs of boys and girls in trailers on the back of ole massey ferguson tractors heading off to the fields to go 'purty gathering'.and it was dam good money at the time too. (c. 1978).
    We used to call it "purty picking", I havent heard that since I left school a long time ago, half the class would be away purty picking and not a word was ever said about it, all us townies used to be very jealous of the country boys at that time of year.

From wiki -
    Boxty (bacstaí or arán boct tí in Irish) is a traditional Irish potato pancake. The dish is mostly associated with the north midlands, north Connacht and southern Ulster, in particular the counties of Mayo, Sligo, Donegal (where it is know locally as Poundy or Poundies),

• Advertisement

It could well be, I havent called it that name in about 20 years but when I read it here it did sound familiar. I do remember hearing that they were called poundies becuase they had to be pounded with an old milk bottle or something like that, probably dident have fancy mashers back in the day.

From wiki -
    Boxty (bacstaí or arán boct tí in Irish) is a traditional Irish potato pancake. The dish is mostly associated with the north midlands, north Connacht and southern Ulster, in particular the counties of Mayo, Sligo, Donegal (where it is know locally as Poundy or Poundies),

Hmmm. Thats interesting. Would I be right in saying that the translation for arán boct tí is "the poor bread of the house"? ie The poorti? Purtie?

From wiki -
    Take whatever you read on wikipedia with a pinch of salt, it is created by members of the public, any of us could have written that and none of us have the same version of the story. I dont think boxty and poundies are the same thing.

I have no information to say eitherway but i dont think it is from the ulster scots, my granny has been using that word all her life as have all my cousins and myself and we are not anywhere near ulster scots. I thought it was just a good Donegal word. As somebody else spelt it before, it is "purties". Another one we used to use was "poundies", not sure where that is from but it is for mashed spuds or spuds that were pounded.

from this it is obvious that you think ulster scots was invented 10 years ago.
    "we are not anywhere near ulster scots"

do you think its a place? if you are in the province of ulster, hard luck, ulster scots is all around you.

ULSTER SCOTS..=ENGLISH

way ................= with
    fray ................= from
    deek ...............= ditch
    sla ................= slow
    nu ................= now
    doon ............= down
    gan = going

these are a few examples of ulster scots words that i hear everyday in Donegal.
    by the way, i am not into ulster scots at all. waste of government money.

True about wiki.

Well I'm pretty sure Boxty are pancake type things made from shreaded or greated potato. I think someone already said that.

And from all the different explainations of poundies I think it's safe to say it's some sort of mashed potato.

Aran bocht ti would translate as something like "poor house bread" or "bread of the poor house" but as quite a few people have said. I'm pretty sure "purtie" when referring to spuds is just a different pronunciation of "pratai"

bigaid1 wrote: »
    from this it is obvious that you think ulster scots was invented 10 years ago.
    "we are not anywhere near ulster scots"

do you think its a place? if you are in the province of ulster, hard luck, ulster scots is all around you.

ULSTER SCOTS..=ENGLISH

way ................= with
    fray ................= from
    deek ...............= ditch
    sla ................= slow
    nu ................= now
    doon ............= down
    gan = going

these are a few examples of ulster scots words that i hear everyday in Donegal.
    by the way, i am not into ulster scots at all. waste of government money.

The "ulster" accent and a lot of the pronunciations are a result of the mixing of the Scottish and Irish accents over a few hundred years.

Personally I don't thin kit deserves to be called an actual language. I mean it's just a way of pronouncing words. I could write a sentence in ordinary English and someone from Donegal or Derry would read it out differently from someone down in Kerry. Does that mean that they're speaking 2 different languages? No.

At the very most it could be called a dialect, but it's not a language. As someone said already Gaelic and Galic(sp?) are the respective native languages of Ireland and Scotland.

The "ulster" accent and a lot of the pronunciations are a result of the mixing of the Scottish and Irish accents over a few hundred years.

Personally I don't thin kit deserves to be called an actual language. I mean it's just a way of pronouncing words. I could write a sentence in ordinary English and someone from Donegal or Derry would read it out differently from someone down in Kerry. Does that mean that they're speaking 2 different languages? No.

At the very most it could be called a dialect, but it's not a language. As someone said already Gaelic and Galic(sp?) are the respective native languages of Ireland and Scotland.

it never was recognised as a language but the U/Scots agency are trying to have it recognised as an official language so that they can get european money

http://www.ulster-scots.co.uk/

No I dont think its a place and I know it wasent invented 10 years ago but I do know where my family is from and it has nothing to do with ulster scots, it is pure Donegal, with the last god knows how many generations came from the same few fields and the same with all their neighbours. I am well aware of the ulster scots thing but I think the word is just a Donegal/ulster word, but as I said I have no information either way.

They call it champ when theres cabbage in it too i think??

We call mashed spuds with butter and onions ' brucheen ' !!!!!!!!!

Yes, that word was used in our house too when I was a child - when I say it now I can almost taste the spuds and butter :P I don't care what they're called or how they're served up, but OMG I love my spuds :D If I was forced to eat only one food item for the rest of my life, it would be spuds.

• Advertisement

I am sure that our families outlooks on missing school for purty gathering were similar Babaloushka.

:rolleyes:

:D Absolutely!

Advertisement