Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The word 'Pirtie'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

I recall sitting in the old cinema in Letterkenny watching Basic Instinct, when a friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to give Sharon Stone a bit of encouragement by shouting out loud -

"Gon sir, gay 'er the pirdys!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ladymarmalade

irlpic wrote: »
    I recall sitting in the old cinema in Letterkenny watching Basic Instinct, when a friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to give Sharon Stone a bit of encouragement by shouting out loud -

LMAO :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

pure ulster scots

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LMAO :D:D
    +1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

bigaid1 wrote: »
    pure ulster scots
    Or as I like to call it - dialect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So it's brucheen I had today with my chicken! Sounds very fancy, compared to just "spuds n' onion mash"!

You'll know times are hard when your eating the 'The big wan way the wee wan' as my granny liked to call it.
    The big spud with the wee spud and dam all else!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Purdies and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

smashey wrote: »
    Purdies and butter.

Real butter it has to be btw.And a wee touch of salt,hard te beat!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ladymarmalade

Real butter it has to be btw.And a wee touch of salt,hard te beat!:pac:

Ah but who's taking the horse to France :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Go on sir, give her the potatos

Guan, <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Guan, <SNIP>

Really? Oh. I thought he was buying her a bag of chips. Gosh :confused:

irish1967 wrote: »
    Really? Oh. I thought he was buying her a bag of chips. Gosh :confused:

Ah, ya see? Confusement already. Ulster scots must really be a different language so!

(note to self): do not use the above phrase in abrakebabrah next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Guan, <SNIP>

:confused: Really don't see any connection there!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

From wiki -
    Boxty (bacstaí or arán boct tí in Irish) is a traditional Irish potato pancake. The dish is mostly associated with the north midlands, north Connacht and southern Ulster, in particular the counties of Mayo, Sligo, Donegal (where it is know locally as Poundy or Poundies),

Boxty, a favourite in Leitrim, see this tread in the Leitrim forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055572632

Never seen boxty or whatever else it called for sale in any of the shops in Donegal, most shops sell it in Leitrim though.

Used to see Boxtie every Thursday night in the Astoria Wharf in Bundoran. :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Right, I asked my dear old mum what the craic is with poundies.

Her explaination is that they were basically mashed potatos, except they didn't have mashing devices, they had instead pounding devices.

This was something like a mallet, but with the head turned in line with the stick bit??

That's possibly the worst description of anything ever.

Basically the potatos were pounded into submission rather than being mashed.

I sometimes get annoyed when people make fun of the Irish and the potato, but lets call a spade a spade, I frickin love my spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

but lets call a spade a spade, I frickin dig my spuds.
    FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dub in donegal

Yes Sirs/Madames,
    Purty emanates from Gaelic-prataí(potatoes). Nothing to do with Donegal specifically-see The Purty Loft pub in Dún Laoghaire. The Brits adopted some of our words and they were used in conversation with the result the Irish themselves also adopted them in everyday language when conversing in English... for example the word "smashing" used by the Anglo-Irish in Ireland and England comes from Gaelic-is maith é sin.
    English (being a bastard/mulatto language) robs words from other idiomata.
    Here endeth the torture!

• Advertisement

:confused: Really don't see any connection there!

Which bit, the "Gay on sir, gay er the purdies => Go on sir, give her the potatos"

Or

"Go on sir, give her the potatos => Go on, <SNIP>"

????

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Which bit, the "Gay on sir, gay er the purdies => Go on sir, give her the potatos"

Or

"Go on sir, give her the potatos => Go on, <SNIP>"

????
    I dont think we need to pursue this particular point any further. I am aware of younger people who visit this forum and its something I would not want my kids to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

Yes Sirs/Madames,
    Purty emanates from Gaelic-prataí(potatoes). Nothing to do with Donegal specifically-see The Purty Loft pub in Dún Laoghaire. The Brits adopted some of our words and they were used in conversation with the result the Irish themselves also adopted them in everyday language when conversing in English... for example the word "smashing" used by the Anglo-Irish in Ireland and England comes from Gaelic-is maith é sin.
    English (being a bastard/mulatto language) robs words from other idiomata.
    Here endeth the torture!

:rolleyes:

For such a terrible language, you seem to be pretty fluent in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dub in donegal

Technique wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

For such a terrible language, you seem to be pretty fluent in it.
    Ah now now! I never said it was terrible; it's just not a pure language such as Latin or Yiddish. Bastard was meant in the impure sense, and not in the biological one. I wouldn't want to alienate half the European population

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Boxty, a favourite in Leitrim, see this tread in the Leitrim forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055572632

Never seen boxty or whatever else it called for sale in any of the shops in Donegal, most shops sell it in Leitrim though.

I hate boxty,its huge in Leitrim,not a fan of it atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

I hate boxty,its huge in Leitrim,not a fan of it atall.

im not a fan of leitrim either!;)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Used to see Boxtie every Thursday night in the Astoria Wharf in Bundoran. :-)

If my memory serves me right, i recall seeing them play at a 21st birthday party in the Fir Trees Hotel many moons ago.;)

Lol.... Good memory. I went to see them play on my 41st as well. :) I had forgotten you were at my 21st. You were one of the kids running round on the floor. :)

Advertisement