Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 5 for PC

Options
  • 20-09-2009 12:06am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought it today, have it on 360 also, but I have mixed opinions on it.

- Theres far more action on screen compared to the console version, while it makes for more exciting play, its less horror survival than ever.
    - Maxed out, the graphics are much superior on the PC. Street Fighter IV graphically wise, there was feck all of a difference, but you really notice the step up in graphics for Resi.
    - The controls. Theres 2 mouse options. Both are dodgy. One is using the mouse as the camera, which works well at times, but feels awkward at other times. The other is the mouse is used as a cursor. While it makes for better accuracy, moving around is hindered. Then theres the controller, which is the major problem I had on the console version in the first place. The camera is fiddily, the rotation is slow, aiming is a bit off.
    - I should also add that the inventory and menus have been greatly improved over the console versions. Its less intrusive and feckin should have been done on the consoles.

Basically, I would have been over the moon if it wasnt for the controls being slightly buggy. Oh and FYI, I'm running a GTX260 with everything maxed on 1680x1050, runs as smooth as butter, didnt dip below 50fps at any point whatsoever.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its not working for me unfortunatly. Getting an error when launching the game. Apparently its an ATI issue, and its not looking like its going to be fixed either as the x1xxx series is a legacy series now, and isnt supported anymore.

Oh well, time to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks m8, never knew there was 2 mouse control options. I tried it and hated the camera one, must try the other. I'm not a fan of controllers at all and find them difficult to play with.

The pc version is directX10, which is why its far beyond the console version. It looks and runs amazingly. I've it absolutely maxed @1920x1200 with 8xAA and get great framerates with the latest Ati catalyst 9.9

Edit, just had a quick go there with the other mouse option and its no better, worse actually. It gives me better aim control, I'm getting headshots all the time, but it seems to snooker my movement completely. The controls really let this game down, its something I was expecting as its always been a console game. I think I'm gonna give in and try play it with a controller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I tried the demo of this to see how my pc would handle it. Frame rate came in at the low 40's at 1900*1200 which I couldnt believe. It looked great but if the whole game was just like neverending scene of Dawn of the Dead, I dont think Id bother with it.
    Is there any of the old style slower gameplay in it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

what specs have you got?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Played it on the consoles a while back. Decent game but not as good as 4 and its further away from the old school Resident Evils than ever.

Graphically the PC version is slightly better than the consoles. DirectX 10 makes feck all difference to visual quality. They have not really done alot extra in terms of graphics, textures are the same resolution as on the console. The PC version is closer to the Xbox version so it has the reflections that where missing from the PS3 version. They did dial back the blur/Vaseline effect on the PC version which consoles use to help hide jaggies, so picture looks sharper on the PC. However the higher resolution and anti-aliasing support is nice. I'm playing at 1920x1200 with no AA and average over 40 fps with occasional dips into mid 20's when stuff gets extremely hectic. So the added frames is nice over the console.

The only difference in gameplay content is the improved Mercenary mode which has an insane amount of enemies on screen. Will give your PC a decent work out.

I'm having no issue with the controllers.

So again decent work from Capcom, a technically solid if unspectacular port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

what specs have you got?

Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Corei7 920, 6gb Corsair DDR3 CL7, WD Velociraptor 150gb, Vista 64bit, Nvidia 8800GT 512mb

gpu will be upgraded when i get some money! But its doin a great job at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Control wise, I think it benefits survival horrors to have stiff camera and aim controls. It wouldn't be as frantic if you could just turn on a dime and headshot everything before it even has a chance to grab you and spew slime all over your face.

I found this to be true in Dead Space. In hindsight I appreciated the stiff controls. A lot of the time, I had to run away to get some distance, and even then I couldn't quickly turn around to see what was following me. A lot of the time, with the stiff aiming, I'd barely have enough time to dismember a few of the mutants before they where overwhelming me. It made it all the more scary and frantic.

I haven't played the PC version yet though. I loved RE4 but I've already accepted I'm going to be disappointed with RE5. That being said, I'm only going to play through it in coop, as I've heard the NPC AI is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Struggling with the controls myself. Gonna play it in Coop so hopefully having someone else struggling will work in the games favour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

i prefer 4 then 5, 5 really does look consoley (which i don't like)

Advertisement