Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing an Anime Newbie into the Deep end

Options
  • 20-09-2009 12:57am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my brother isnt mad into the Anime thing, but keeps saying he wants to watch one. Now imo i think it has to be something that draws you right from the beginning, as well as not being too long? Any ideas?

Personally, I think Code Geass is too long, as is Death Note. Elfen Lied is the only thing that springs to mind really. Any recommendations appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Mecha is always a good start, Dare I say evangelion?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

no way. its too long and its a total mindfcuk at the end. He'll never watch another anime again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

It's only a mind f*** because they had to go on the cheap, aren't they redoing the movies? Those would be a brilliant start, I watched the first remastered one and it was like watching a brand new series.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nah man its too long. he watched episode 1 last night and when i told him theres 25 more he said fcuk that. elfien lied is only 13 episodes (half of evangelion :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I know these are oldies but they are good starters:
    Battle Angel Alita
    Akira
    anything by studio ghibli
    Devilman
    They're short and interesting- good starter ones:D

• Advertisement

ah meant to say that. hes watched my neighbour totoro, kikis delivery service, howls moving castle and ponyo all in the space of about 3 years :rolleyes:

ah meant to say that. hes watched my neighbour totoro, kikis delivery service, howls moving castle and ponyo all in the space of about 3 years :rolleyes:
    What about Akira? It's got stuff that interests most fellas- 'splosions and death and mangling etc...and it's only one film.
    Or else Dragonball?

maybe akira yeah, he hates dragonball z. lets not go there! :D

maybe akira yeah, he hates dragonball z. lets not go there! :D
    Haha he doesn't sound much like a noob if he's seen that much so far. Hope he enjoys Akira!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

what about Cowboy Bebop? there's a good few episodes but they're pretty self-contained

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

outlaw star:cool:

yeah i think i'll show him akira then cowboy bebop then elfen lied if he feels like it. anything else? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

yeah i think i'll show him akira then cowboy bebop then elfen lied if he feels like it. anything else? :p

If he's normal (Definition pending) then showing him Elfen Lied will only turn him away from anime forever. You need to ween people into the concepts portryed in anime. (young sometime fully nude psychic teen girls decapitating innocent looking teen girls is not generaly accepted as everyday when you're first introduced to anime :rolleyes: )

Films I'd recommend depending on the genre he/she likes
    a) Comedy = Riding Bean
    B) Action = Armitage 3 Polymatrix
    c) Thriller = You're under arrest the mostion picture
    d) Suspense = Perfect Blue
    e) Romance = Petite Cossette

Series I'd recommend, again depending on the genre he/she likes
    a) Comedy = Trigun (Always a fan favourite)
    2) Action = Samurai Champloo
    III) Thriller = Stand Alone Complex
    1002) Horror = Requiem from the Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

if theres any anime series i would recommend to someone who doesnt watch anime it would be death note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

full metal alchemist ftw!!!!!^^

he watched the first 2 episodes of elfen lied today and loved it, hes kinda moaning about cowboy bebop though, he said he doesnt have time to go through it all :rolleyes: he hasnt even looked at akira yet

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Show him Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, GTO, Black Lagoon and Azumanga Daioh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

he watched the first 2 episodes of elfen lied today and loved it, hes kinda moaning about cowboy bebop though, he said he doesnt have time to go through it all :rolleyes: he hasnt even looked at akira yet

Maybe try Mnemosyne after Elfen Lied, nowhere near as good, but it has lesbians in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

maybe don't tell him how many episodes there are?

Mmm, tengen toppa (if you don't mention how many eps there are)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean_Alpha

start off with tenchi muyo ova short and sweet then go to vampire hunter d x it really depends what the person is into before the anime there is so much to chose from try to saty away from things that dont have a spefic ending goal like naruto or bleach one piece try short seires and ovas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean_Alpha

stay away from beck or gto from the time being beck is really sorta aimed towards a specific audience and u need to know some japanese knowledge with gto like having bleached hair is a sign of rebellion over there if he/she liked dethklok try Detroit metal city mostly refrences to anime metal in it like kiss and the humour is universal even showing him some live action films would be a good choice if he doesnt mind subtitles try death note films avoid the l movie or battle royale then if u want something mindless and stupid to show them try md geist

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭k100

hmmmm
    i would say well need his age first lol:L
    gurren lagann :P dont say how many ep's lol and he will want to watch more and more.
    *naruto :L
    well id say show him gundam wing or
    Detroit Metal City
    claymore
    Initial D
    Welcome to the NHK!

Advertisement