Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manowar - Love 'em or hate 'em?

• 20-09-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

So I've gotten into Manowar lately. I have Kings of Metal and The Triumph of Steel and love em. So recently at my friends and tell him I've been listening to them, and he can't believe I'm serious. So que 3-4 of my mates in shock that I like them. They all think they're terrible, some for the cheesiness, others for the music.

Now I love their cheesy side, singing about themselves and how great metal is, in my eyes (or ears) it's just good, fun stuff to listen to and I enjoy it.

So just wondering what the general consensus is on here, do you like 'em,loath 'em or think they're just alright?

I understand later albums may be poor in comparison to older ones, I don't know as I've only heard the two mentioned, so I guess I just mean do you like even one album, don't have to be a die hard fan.

Do you like Manowar? 20 votes

Yes, they're Kings of Metal!
    0% 0 votes
    No, too cheesy,don't like their style
    65% 13 votes
    Middle of the road, don't love them or hate them
    35% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

They're pretty good, way better than most bands these days which says something about the standard of music in times past. I like the album with flight of the bumblebee on bass. Pretty decent, the last track is excellent. Yes they're cheesy, they take themselves seriously in this too which adds to the fun! :D But the music is definitely serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

God I hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Wouldn't be a big fan but they're the sort of band that gets my head nodding if i'm in Bruxelles so i voted 'just alright'.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

I never really got into them yet i love bands like rhapsody and other power metal bands

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a fan it has to be said. I'm not sure why, I like power Metal and cheeseyness isn't a problem, but them and Hammerfall just do not do it for me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thread fails without moar vids

For that alone, they get my vote :)

We need more power metal bands to play in ireland actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lord lucan wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a big fan but they're the sort of band that gets my head nodding if i'm in Bruxelles so i voted 'just alright'.
    +1

They are a bit cheesy though, remind me of a less good version of dragonforce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1

They are a bit cheesy though, remind me of a less good version of dragonforce

Since when are DragonFarce good to begin with? :pac:

• Advertisement

Since when are DragonFarce good to begin with? :pac:
    Well the guitarists are immensely talented for a start. Not all good music has to be really heavy. And they dont take themselves too seriously! I actually met the non chinese guitarist in Fibbers after the gig in the ambassador last year. Sound chap, but he was hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I saw this on a different site on the topic of Manowar:
    Manowar is more homosexual than Freddie Mercury and Dale Winton in pink silk pajamas having a pillow fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well the guitarists are immensely talented for a start. Not all good music has to be really heavy. And they dont take themselves too seriously! I actually met the non chinese guitarist in Fibbers after the gig in the ambassador last year. Sound chap, but he was hammered!

Hardly immensely talented. They're a bunch of drunken idiots who play fast for the sake of being fast, and 95% of the time they can't even recreate what they play in a studio on the stage. I don't think I've ever heard anybody compliment them on their live performances. I don't get why they claim to be releasing different albums/songs either, since it's near impossible to distinguish one song from another.

As i said, I saw them in the Ambassador, and I thought that it was a great gig. Same speed solo's as in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I will vouch for Dragonfarce! :p

I saw them live last year and they were actually capable of recreating the solos. I know they play fast for the sake of it but some of their songs are genuinely good, especially from their first album. Their last two albums have been playing a bit too much off the fact that all these people think their amazing because they can play fast but some of the stuff sounds good still. They're hardly my favourite band but think there's too much of a bandwagon for haters since their inclusion in Guitar Hero

EDIT: Was at the ambassador gig, great fun :D

I don't get why they claim to be releasing different albums/songs either, since it's near impossible to distinguish one song from another.

hahahahahaha so true

They are incredible guitar players though depsite their recent live performances,first time I saw them in the music centre they played incredible,
    and their solos are hard to play but they have gone to **** in recent years,
    the mixing on the new album is terrible,couldn't make out what was going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I will vouch for Dragonfarce! :p

I saw them live last year and they were actually capable of recreating the solos. I know they play fast for the sake of it but some of their songs are genuinely good, especially from their first album. Their last two albums have been playing a bit too much off the fact that all these people think their amazing because they can play fast but some of the stuff sounds good still. They're hardly my favourite band but think there's too much of a bandwagon for haters since their inclusion in Guitar Hero

EDIT: Was at the ambassador gig, great fun :D

Did you ever hold the play button of a walkman (tape) half way down?
    Put a phil collins tape in and tell me that Phil Collins isnt the mastermind behind dragonforce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

They are hilarious!! For that, I love em :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Ah lads, please stop polluting this thread with dragonforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

A Manowar thread! :p I really like them - saw them in Germany and I have to say the were pretty damn good live. They put everything into their performance (though sometimes they seem more aware of the cameras than they do the audience). And when they say their live sound is better than most others, they're not kidding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Essentially the only true METAL band, if you discount Spinal Tap..... :)
    I just love em, always have.
    Remember buying Kings of Metal when it came out on vinyl, must dig it up.
    Yeah they're cheesy and they parade about in loincloths and cod-pieces.... but thats the way they roll.
    You have to respect a band that signed their record contract in the bass players BLOOD. :)
    Also when drummer Scott Columbus took a break, they recruited a drummer called Rhino, who had some of the fastest feet I've ever heard. Anyway, when they decided who Scotts replacement would be, they tooK his custom kit to a mountain and gave it a viking funeral......burned the whole thing!!!!

Hail Hail

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Other bands play, Manowar kill.

Apart from the last album, which was a bit shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

IronMan wrote: »
    Other bands play, Manowar kill.

Apart from the last album, which was a bit shít.

Agreed.
    Actually most albums after Triumphs of Steel were a bit meh
    Ross the Boss...... please return and restore the kings to their throne!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I like a few songs here and there but mostly they don't do it for me. I remember seeing them headline at Hellfest and I thought they were terrible, left after the second song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Other bands play-Manowar KILLS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ALL MEN PLAY ON TEN!

Fair play to ya Dr. POca

( makes large sign of the hammer at screen!)

As for dragon force, they be what Joey De Maio would call two fisted ****.

Advertisement