Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson Xperia X3 in January?

• 20-09-2009 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

According to a few blogs I've read, such as this one, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X3, formerly known as the Rachael, will be out in January, running Android with a customised UI.

I've been humming and hawing about a replacement for my trusty E51 and I've looked at the E72, N900, iPhone 3GS and HTC Hero. Each has their upsides and downsides, but if these sites are to be believed, the X3 looks absolutely gorgeous, powerful and has an open OS with lots of apps, which hits the spot pretty nicely I think.

I reckon I'm going to stick with the E51 for a while and wait and see what happens with this and the phones I mentioned above. Anyone else looking forward to the X3 or got any ideas about pricing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Breezer wrote: »
    According to a few blogs I've read, such as this one, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X3, formerly known as the Rachael, will be out in January, running Android with a customised UI.

I've been humming and hawing about a replacement for my trusty E51 and I've looked at the E72, N900, iPhone 3GS and HTC Hero. Each has their upsides and downsides, but if these sites are to be believed, the X3 looks absolutely gorgeous, powerful and has an open OS with lots of apps, which hits the spot pretty nicely I think.

I reckon I'm going to stick with the E51 for a while and wait and see what happens with this and the phones I mentioned above. Anyone else looking forward to the X3 or got any ideas about pricing?

Yeah, cause the 1st X1 was so great upon its release. And the P1 and the P990...oh, and all the happy X2 users out there...oh, wait: the X2 isn't even out yet, and the X1 was delayed how many times? (to make is just stable enough to accept the reset-command)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is it just me, or are SE phones just plain ugly?

I was looking at mobile phones yesterday, and all the SE phones look, well, very retro, but not in a good way.

Even that Experia X3 doesn't look too good for a new model. My old trusty P800 at the time was an ugly brick too. Maybe they can make up for it with a wow factor when the phone is actually released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

strecker wrote: »
    Yeah, cause the 1st X1 was so great upon its release. And the P1 and the P990...oh, and all the happy X2 users out there...oh, wait: the X2 isn't even out yet, and the X1 was delayed how many times? (to make is just stable enough to accept the reset-command)
    I take it that's a no from you then ;) No, the X2 isn't out yet, but since it's running WinMo and the X3 is Android, would it not be feasible for both to be released concurrently (or at least a few months after each other - the X2 is supposedly coming out early in Q4 2009)? I'm thinking N97 being closely followed by N900 here. In terms of stability, I'll confess that I've no experience with WinMo phones, but my gut reaction is that a lot of stability problems could be down to the OS and wouldn't affect an Android device - correct me if I'm wrong.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are SE phones just plain ugly?

I was looking at mobile phones yesterday, and all the SE phones look, well, very retro, but not in a good way.

Even that Experia X3 doesn't look too good for a new model. My old trusty P800 at the time was an ugly brick too. Maybe they can make up for it with a wow factor when the phone is actually released.
    Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the X3 is one of the best looking phones I've seen in a long time. I mean I love what I've seen of the Hero's OS, but the hardware is horrible to look at (although I do like Sprint's version in the US). The N900 is better but I'm not fully sold on Maemo 5 yet; I can't help feeling it's a bit of a test device for bringing Maemo to phones. And while the 3GS is nice, I don't want to have to jump through hoops all the time and sacrifice already poor battery life just to use my phone the way I want to use it.

So yeah, I know we haven't much to go on as regards the X3 yet, but I'm excited at what I've seen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

The Register ran an article a while back about Expansys having a stock entry for the X3 with photos and all and they were thinking that it would have hit the market by October but it hasn't.

As a Sony Ericsson fan I'm really looking forward to the X3 and if it's go a 1Ghz snapdragon processor in it, the phone should be very impressive.

However I know when it's released it's going to be very expensive, and I just can't wait that long, so gonna go with a HTC Hero in the meantime. Really looking forward to see what Android will do for me. Hope to head back to SE soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Breezer wrote: »
    I take it that's a no from you then ;) No, the X2 isn't out yet, but since it's running WinMo and the X3 is Android, would it not be feasible for both to be released concurrently (or at least a few months after each other - the X2 is supposedly coming out early in Q4 2009)? I'm thinking N97 being closely followed by N900 here. In terms of stability, I'll confess that I've no experience with WinMo phones, but my gut reaction is that a lot of stability problems could be down to the OS and wouldn't affect an Android device - correct me if I'm wrong.

Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the X3 is one of the best looking phones I've seen in a long time. I mean I love what I've seen of the Hero's OS, but the hardware is horrible to look at (although I do like Sprint's version in the US). The N900 is better but I'm not fully sold on Maemo 5 yet; I can't help feeling it's a bit of a test device for bringing Maemo to phones. And while the 3GS is nice, I don't want to have to jump through hoops all the time and sacrifice already poor battery life just to use my phone the way I want to use it.

So yeah, I know we haven't much to go on as regards the X3 yet, but I'm excited at what I've seen :D

The X3 looks just like every other bog standard touchscreen phone imho, iphone still one of the best looking and Im still surprised its not been copied more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Venom wrote: »
    The X3 looks just like every other bog standard touchscreen phone imho, iphone still one of the best looking and Im still surprised its not been copied more.
    The iPhone is a lovely looking phone alright, but I prefer the harder lines on the X3 (or X10 as it's apparently being called now). Android also interests me far more than the potentially brilliant but horrifically crippled iPhone OS. Admittedly it's hard to make a large touchscreen phone look significantly different from every other large touchscreen phone without turning it into a brick.

Rumours are heating up on this thing: Engadget reports that we may get an announcement about it next month, and GSM Arena recently got a live shot of it. It could mean nothing, but I'm still going to drool over it in anticipation for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Youtube review of the experia here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Lu-JUW1Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Youtube review of the experia here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Lu-JUW1Q
    Still only prototype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Nope its all announced and official now. Theres lots up about this on GSMArena and i posted a thread here a few weeks back. No such thing as X3 it'll be called the X10 and is hoping to be out by Christmas to run in line with the Motorola Droid/Milestone. So we gotta sit back and see how Sony Ericsson do with their release dates (if they're in on time) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

rizzee wrote: »
    Nope its all announced and official now. Theres lots up about this on GSMArena and i posted a thread here a few weeks back. No such thing as X3 it'll be called the X10 and is hoping to be out by Christmas to run in line with the Motorola Droid/Milestone. So we gotta sit back and see how Sony Ericsson do with their release dates (if they're in on time) :)
    I mean the phone theyre previewing in the video isn't final yet.Theyre still working on it.I know its official,just not ready.

Never question me on android stuff :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Is the experia superior to the satio? Its just that im not well up on all the teccy speak

Advertisement