Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I Even Bother Going For It

• 20-09-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

After seeing how hard people are finding it getting jobs in education, im starting to think will i even bother going for it

at the moment im repeating the LC (and im only repeating to get into it) but now im starting to doubt it because of the difficulty, i wanna do arts in ucd and get it that way but im starting to think its not gonna be worth it now

so any ideas on whether or not i should do it ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It comes down to whether you want to teach or not. Would you rather get into an area you're not interested in, where there are loads of jobs (and off the top of my head, I can't think of any right now) or get into something you want to do and accept that it may take a lot of time to get a job?

You'll be doing the LC in 2010, an Arts degree is 3 years (4 if you take a language and study abroad for a year) and the PGDE is a year (but no guarantee of getting into it), so it'll it'll be 2014 by the time you're qualified. Who knows what the job situation will be like by then?

With an Arts degree, you're keeping your options open anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You definitely should go for it. You have a few years, and things might change. You can also make yourself more appealing to prospective employers in the meanwhile. Get a few extra certs, first aid or something. GEt a hobby, and try to get pretty good at it. I know one guy who is certain he got his job because the employer was so impressed with some massive walk he had done (few weeks of walking). Showed determination and all that.
    So do what you can and you might as well go for it. No point thinking 'what if' for the rest of your life.

Advertisement