Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting pvc window to steel shed

Options
  • 20-09-2009 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hello There,
    currently building a steel workshop in the back garden. I am building it with 40mm box iron and box profile sheeting.
    My problem is that i want to put in a couple of pvc windows i picked up. how would i go about fitting them into the sides of the shed? i am not sure how to make the window fit in with the profile of the sheeting if you know what i mean.
    any help greatly appreciated, i have searched the net for days and found nothing!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

one way of doin it mite be to make an frame in the steel box structure a few mm larger all round that the outside of the window. then apply your outside cladding flush around this. then get a 90 degree flashing and line the opening with this then mount your window into this with maybe brackets on the inside secured to the steel frame and just seal the outside around window with silicone. hope that all makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

one way of doin it mite be to make an frame in the steel box structure a few mm larger all round that the outside of the window. then apply your outside cladding flush around this. then get a 90 degree flashing and line the opening with this then mount your window into this with maybe brackets on the inside secured to the steel frame and just seal the outside around window with silicone. hope that all makes sense :)

Great post, all makes sense to me, perhaps O.P. would get a clearer picture combining the above post with a visit to an Industrial Estate to take a look at the flashing details around the windows usually in the upstairs sections.

mitent be a bad idea but sometimes they combine the window and flashing as one and is a drop in unit. the method i said u just do it with any window. just mite need to be aware of water gettin in between flashing and cladding above the window. but if u drilled a hole/ slot at each end or along length of top flashing so that water could escape out.

Hi,

The top flashing is made to go behind the cladding which goes over the top of the window.

but are you then not stuck with an unfinished looking edge along top of the opening?? or maybe could get a j shaped profile made to wrap the window so would slide up behind the cladding to finish off the edge??

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I don't have software for sketching on this computer which makes explaining this harder, think of the top section in 2 parts, cladding sits into the L, hiding the edges when you look up now turn the L on its side short piece is the front, the long piece is fixed to the frame, of course the two are actually one piece, the people you bought the cladding from should be able to get the flashing folded for you.

Advertisement