Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Healthcare entitlements?

• 20-09-2009 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

The missus is six weeks pregnant now and we're just wondering what we're entitled to in terms of healthcare.

She's originally from the UK, so it's a little hard for her (and me!) to get our heads around the Irish health system when it comes to pregnancy.

Her first introduction to our wonderful system here was accompanying a relative to Beaumont A&E and being scared witless at the sight of what was effectively a war-zone with people on trolleys three-deep.

First off, are GP visits free? We went to our local GP last week and were charged €50 for a 5-minute consultation, and I do mean 5-minutes.

He asked us had we done any pregnancy tests, we said we had done three and he said he was happy enough with that and didn't bother doing a test himself. He weighed her, took her BP and said 'see you in five weeks'.

I'm with Quinn myself, is there any benefit putting her on my policy at this stage? I'm self-employed and she's working part time at the minute and paying PRSI.

Can we chose the hospital the baby is delivered in if we stay public?

Is there really any benefit to going private?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi,
    Congrats:)

As she is already pregnant it is too late to add her to your health insurance.
    The public system here is free except for your first gp appointment to confirm that you are pregnant.
    The details are here -
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/women-s-health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services

No other gp visits for any other reason during pregnancy are included though some gps will not charge you it is at their discretion.

Semi private is definately worth looking in to

Under the public system you can go to any maternity hospital you want though you are leaving it very late to book in so I recommend you do it asap.Though your gp should have told you that..

You can claim back some medical expenses on your med 1 form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

No point in applying for health insurance because there is generally a 52 waiting period for maternity cover with all insurance companies. Its a joke! But the good thing is the public health care is really good and wont cost you a penney. With regards to the GP visits, I have 10 free visits. I don't know if every medical centre has the same policy so shop around. All my visits with the Coombe are also free including scans.

There are so many chats on boards about private/semi/public. You should read those and get all the answers there.

Advertisement