Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ufo 19.09.2009

Options
  • 20-09-2009 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Did anyone see the orange object flying over the sky last night in a southernly direction. It made no sound and was not traveling at any great speed. Anyone see or have explanation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Last night (19/09/09) I was at a friends house (between Shankill and Ballybrack, Dublin) and was called out into the back garden at about 11.40pm to look at strange lights in the sky. There was a very noticeably bright white star visible, and around it there were up to eight smaller red lights all moving a various speeds from right to left across the front of this brighter star.

Some of these seemed to fade away in the night sky after a few minutes, whilst others simply remained moving a high speeds in and around the vicinity of the bright star.

All four of us in the house eventually ended up standing agog at this for about ten minutes having no idea what it could be. It was a very still, clear and quiet night and there were no sounds to be heard (engines etc)

If anyone else saw this or could help explain this myself, and my three friends would greatly appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thank god someone posted this. I was outside last night having a smoke around 9.30 in Cork. Saw the ISS passing (or maybe it was a satellite) which I have seen loadsa times. Then about 2 mins later 7 or 8 reddish orange objects went over. They were all travelling in the same direction and going fast but not that fast.

They almost looked like a flock of swans (v shape-ish). They faded after about 5 seconds. Freaked me out for a minute or twp but then I figured they must have been something burning up in the athmosphere. An asteroid breaking up or something. Although they did look a lot lower than that but I ain't buying that I saw an actual ufo so I am sticking to the asteroid option. They were heading in a southerly direction alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Maynard wrote: »
    Last night (19/09/09) I was at a friends house (between Shankill and Ballybrack, Dublin) and was called out into the back garden at about 11.40pm to look at strange lights in the sky. There was a very noticeably bright white star visible, and around it there were up to eight smaller red lights all moving a various speeds from right to left across the front of this brighter star.

Some of these seemed to fade away in the night sky after a few minutes, whilst others simply remained moving a high speeds in and around the vicinity of the bright star.

All four of us in the house eventually ended up standing agog at this for about ten minutes having no idea what it could be. It was a very still, clear and quiet night and there were no sounds to be heard (engines etc)

If anyone else saw this or could help explain this myself, and my three friends would greatly appreciate it!

The bright star was jupiter and the orange lights were and always are chinese lanterns. They're very much the in thing these days at any kind of party. Used to be just big weddings or event firework displays where you would see a few let off. Now everyones at it even at bloody house parties.

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=21&id=81178#81182

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Thanks for the link Calibos!

Interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Calibos wrote: »
    The bright star was jupiter and the orange lights were and always are chinese lanterns. They're very much the in thing these days at any kind of party. Used to be just big weddings or event firework displays where you would see a few let off. Now everyones at it even at bloody house parties.

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=21&id=81178#81182

Should someone sticky a 'report your UFO's here' or perhaps create a thread, since there were loads of threads started over past few weeks...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

vokey wrote: »
    Did anyone see the orange object flying over the sky last night in a southernly direction. It made no sound and was not traveling at any great speed. Anyone see or have explanation
    OP - It really would help if you told us roughly where you were when you saw this. As you can see from the replies - other posters saw objects in Dublin & Cork, but still nobody can tell if it was the same thing that you saw.

Advertisement