Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHP/Cogeneration project

• 20-09-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone on here that has experience or expertise re CHP or cogeneration ?

The reason i'm asking is because i'm heading into my last year of the Renewable and Electrical Energy Systems course in LIT and I have to do my final project.

I'm going to do a feasibility study for the company I am working for, but I was hoping to get some advice regarding books, companies or other materials that may be useful for the project.

The outline of the project is to look at the energy usage of a small section of the plant (as its a large company) and determine the size and benefits of a CHP system, (efficiency, prime movers, fuels etc...)

So if there's anyone that has experience with CHP, energy usage surveys or knows of a place around Munster that has a CHP plant installed it would be great if you could post it here.

I know LIT have a 100kWe installed and also the Strand Hotel (i think) and maybe Bulmers in Clonmel.

I get a company allowance to buy books so again any recommendations would be appreciated.

I can use the LIT library and the lecture notes I have to start with, and also I've downloaded a few pdf's from the web but they are mostly American.

Cheers

F.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Dairygold in Mitchelstown and Mallow have CHP plants. All I know about CHP is that you need a large steam demand for it to be viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RVR

All I know about CHP is that you need a large steam demand for it to be viable.

I don't believe this is the case! Any application with a high level of electricity and heat usage can opt for CHP.

Have a look at http://www.sei.ie/Grants/CHP/CHP_Promotional_Events/4_Killarney_Sports_and_Leisure_Centre_-Willie_Moynihan_Kerry_Co_Co.pdf - some good info on there

Have a look here too: http://www.f4energy.ie/index.php?action=site&id=23&tmp=5&p=clients - I have no connection with these guys but they seem to have a lot of CHP units out there in the limerick/shannon region.

Cheers

Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I was involved in a project in the 90's where a gas fired chp unit was installed into hotel westport in Mayo, I know its not quite munster but they probably have years of data at this stage which may help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Thanks for the replies guys,

I might try and contact some of those people that ye mentioned.

We met a guy from F4energy last year in LIT and he gave us a rundown on the CHP that they have installed there.

Only problem was we hadn't really covered CHP in lectures so it went over the head a little.

I also found another company on the SEI website Temp Technology who seem to have a lot of work done around Ireland.

@RVR - yeah your right can be any grade of exhaust heat from High to low and not necessarily steam. They reckon about 14hrs a day where they are fairly coincidental heat and electrical loads is a good starting point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Aughinish Alumina have a 150MW CHP (Askeaton)
    Wyeth Nutritionals have a 5MW CHP (Askeaton)

I'm sure I have details on the Aughinish CHP if you want to PM me your email address I can send it on to you.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Wow 150MW is huge !!

PM sent also, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

The Kerry group (formerly Golden Vale ) plant in Charleville have one think it was comissioned around 2003. Waterford Co Op had one of the first ones in the country at their plant in Dungarvan. The factory was demolished a few years ago but AFAIK the CHP turbine plant is still there but not used.

Advertisement