Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kimi back to McLaren for 2010 ..!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Again, Vectra proves that it's a waste of time attempting a logical or reasoned discussion. There was a lot between Kimi and Massa the past 2 years, namely points, results, and effort. Kimi would not have won if there hadn't been so much fighting between Lewis and Fernando, end of.
    Kimi is Good. He will do Well at McLaren. That is All.

Dude
    Logic or no Logic.
    How in the hell can you compare those teamamtes.
    Come off it ..!!
    No contest there.
    But
    You have your opinions and I have mine

But
    No Matter what Renault do to their car this year Alonso cannot do any good with it.
    Kimi on the other hand .. well... the results speak for themselves. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

vectra wrote: »
    Kers or no Kers.
    A car is a car..
    Not from what i have seen and read of F1, the Force India is completely different to the Ferrari. The Red Bull is completely different to the Brawn etc... Plenty of evidence of that this year You even say the McLaren suits Kimi better than the Ferrari.
    Give Alonso time to adjust I suppose :rolleyes:
    No he will spend the winter in the simulator and do a full stint of pre season testing, just like Kimi did. He wont be stepping from one car into another and i would expect Alonso to get up to speed quicker than Fisi anyway.

There is not much between the top 5 or 6 F1 drivers.
    Success will come to the ones with the best car and team around them and the one who is hungriest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Alonso has about an average of half a point over Kimi but Seeing as you lot bring Massa into it let compare Alonso with Schuie.
    No?
    Ok

Compare whoever you like with Schmacher and they will come out of it looking badly but we are not talking about Schmacher here. Well, maybe you are but you do like to move the goalposts when the argument isn't going your way don't you?

What the hell has Massa got to do with this by the way? I am comparing Alonso's record with Raikkonens in order to prove he is more consistent which I believe I have done.

Right
    3.76 points Vs 4.23

Alonso outscored him there

Yes, he outscored him because he is more consistent. That is in spite of him spending a season with Minardi with basically no hope of scoring a point.

Something else you should note is that Alonso has beaten his teammates far more emphatically than Raikkonen has. I'm sure of course that you will have a wide range of excuses ready to defend this such as his teammates were better (in your opinion), he was unlucky or maybe the car didn't suit his 'style' but for the record on the occasions where Alonso and Raikkonen have beaten their teammates (6 times each) the average win margin was:

Alonso: 42.16
    Raikkonen: 25.83
    In 2001 I see you "conveniently" left out the names of Alonsos teammates.

Tarso Marques & Alex Yoong :rolleyes:
    Who are they I hear you say :D
    To be fair to Kimi there now, Those guys were no contest.
    Kimi was up against Quick Nick

To be quite honest I didn't see the point in even including Marques and Yoong's names simply because in that first season the Minardi couldn't have scored a point unless 3/4 of the field retired.

Yes, Raikkonen was up against Heidfeld, who beat him. What's your point?
    03/04
    Alonso Vs Trulli
    Kimi Vs Coulthard

I would rate Coulthard higher than Mr Quali.

You are basing your argument on your biased opinions, not on facts as I am doing so I'm not going to entertain anything that you cannot back up with facts especially this laughable comment:
    Kimi Vs Massa << Better driver than Lewis then
    Kimi takes the title

What are you talking about? Why are you bringing Hamilton into this and how does it prove that Raikkonen is a better driver? Try to concentrate Vectra, we are talking about Alonso and Raikkonen here, not Schumacher, not Hamilton and not Massa ok?
    Alonso against a rookie and couldnt beat him

He didn't lose to him though did he? I guess that could be considered a success since you are constantly carping on about Hamilton receiving favorable treatment.

So
    I still dont really see what all the hype with alonso is.He is not unbeatable as was Schumacher.. ( I know it did happen but not often )

I might be wrong but you seem to be the only person bringing up Schumacher in this thread and I really don't know why because it doesn't help your argument at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Compare whoever you like with Schmacher and they will come out of it looking badly but we are not talking about Schmacher here. Well, maybe you are but you do like to move the goalposts when the argument isn't going your way don't you?

What the hell has Massa got to do with this by the way? I am comparing Alonso's record with Raikkonens in order to prove he is more consistent which I believe I have done.

Yes, he outscored him because he is more consistent. That is in spite of him spending a season with Minardi with basically no hope of scoring a point.

Something else you should note is that Alonso has beaten his teammates far more emphatically than Raikkonen has. I'm sure of course that you will have a wide range of excuses ready to defend this such as his teammates were better (in your opinion), he was unlucky or maybe the car didn't suit his 'style' but for the record on the occasions where Alonso and Raikkonen have beaten their teammates (6 times each) the average win margin was:

Alonso: 42.16
    Raikkonen: 25.83

To be quite honest I didn't see the point in even including Marques and Yoong's names simply because in that first season the Minardi couldn't have scored a point unless 3/4 of the field retired.

Yes, Raikkonen was up against Heidfeld, who beat him. What's your point?

You are basing your argument on your biased opinions, not on facts as I am doing so I'm not going to entertain anything that you cannot back up with facts especially this laughable comment:

What are you talking about? Why are you bringing Hamilton into this and how does it prove that Raikkonen is a better driver? Try to concentrate Vectra, we are talking about Alonso and Raikkonen here, not Schumacher, not Hamilton and not Massa ok?

He didn't lose to him though did he? I guess that could be considered a success since you are constantly carping on about Hamilton receiving favorable treatment.

I might be wrong but you seem to be the only person bringing up Schumacher in this thread and I really don't know why because it doesn't help your argument at all.

What a post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It is, but it's wasted on the intended target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

So tell me
    according to your logic a team pays big money for a driver just to gain points.?

I reckon they want the best to score titles.
    But hey
    Thats just me ;)

No, a team pays big money for a driver because of the sponsership he brings.

Look
    I dont want to get into any stupid long drawn out debates with you or anyone here.
    But to be fair.
    You are going off the rails there a small bit now
    Trulli Vs Coulthard
    Me saying Coulthard is better being Biased in my opinion
    Then you go on about Facts this and Facts that
    How about this for a fact.
    Trulli scored a total of 236.5 out of 212 starts
    Coulthard scored 535 out of 246 starts

Do you famous calculations there please and come up with a Massive difference in points average ;)

Biro wrote: »
    No, a team pays big money for a driver because of the sponsership he brings.

Yes
    and that same team ONLY gets the big sponsorship money IF they have a driver that can win a wdc at best ;)

Look
    I dont want to get into any stupid long drawn out debates with you or anyone here.
    But to be fair.
    You are going off the rails there a small bit now
    Trulli Vs Coulthard
    Me saying Coulthard is better being Biased in my opinion
    Then you go on about Facts this and Facts that
    How about this for a fact.
    Trulli scored a total of 236.5 out of 212 starts
    Coulthard scored 535 out of 246 starts

Do you famous calculations there please and come up with a Massive difference in points average ;)

I'm not surprised that you don't want to get into a debate since you are clearly on the losing side of this one.

It's only natural that Couthard would have scored that many points considering he spent the vast majority of his career at top level teams such as Williams and then McLaren before finishing up at Red Bull. Trulli on the other hand didn't have such luck and drove for the likes of Minardi, Prost, Jordan and most recently Toyota. His most successful spell was with Renault driving alongside, you guessed it, Alonso.

While I appreciate your attempt to actually back up your argument with a few facts, it is unfortunate for you that the ones you chose to use don't help your case in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Oh dear God...please make it stop.:(

I'm not surprised that you don't want to get into a debate since you are clearly on the losing side of this one.

It's only natural that Couthard would have scored that many points considering he spent the vast majority of his career at top level teams such as Williams and then McLaren before finishing up at Red Bull. Trulli on the other hand didn't have such luck and drove for the likes of Minardi, Prost, Jordan and most recently Toyota. His most successful spell was with Renault driving alongside, you guessed it, Alonso.

While I appreciate your attempt to actually back up your argument with a few facts, it is unfortunate for you that the ones you chose to use don't help your case in the slightest.

Again you try to sidestep my point, which was that Trulli does not come close to Coulthard in skill.
    Therefore it is wrong of you to say Alonso was a better driver because he beat his teammates more than Kimi did.
    A blind man could see that All of Kimi's Teammates would be more difficult to beat than what Alonso was up against.
    but if that is how you wat to rate him best of luck to you.
    I dont. ;)

Ficus wrote: »
    OK, MODERATOR HAT OFF FOR THIS ONE.

Ok vectra, we get it that you are a big kimi fan, and as far as i can see from your posts, he can do no wrong, which is fair enough as we all have our own opinions.
    But, please wake up to the facts that have been posted comparing his sucess to alonso.This is black and white, and to argue against them makes you look a bit silly.
    Kimi is a massivly talented driver, but he has his flaws:
    1.he struggles with setup
    2.is lazy when things are not going his way
    3.is not as dedicated as many other driver on the grid.
    4 is not a team player.

In terms of his media appeal, he in not a favourite for advertisers, he comes across poorly in interviews and commercials and carries few personal sponsors.
    Now this is not a character assination or anything, just more info for you to consider when comparing him to other drivers, such as Alonso mentioned earlier.
    Alonso can setup a car probably better than anyone else on the grid, i dont think he knows the word lazy, is a favorite with sponsors and carries many of his own and can play the team game very well.
    Again, this is not putting alonso on a pedestal or anything, just more information to consider when putting him in a heads up with others.

I am sure you are ( as others are ) picking me up wrong.
    I am not trying to make Kimi look good.
    What I believe is that Alonso is not the Messiah that people seem to think he is.
    I know Kimi has his faults but to be fair.
    when did you ever see him to act the maggot with his teamate ?
    ( Hungary 2007 for example, Alonso in the pits ):rolleyes:
    Teamplayer my eye.. Who did Alonso ever help?
    Alonso can set up a car
    Yes,
    But I do recall Martin whitmarsh stating that Kimi does not say much butwhat he does say is exactly to the point in terms of setup and is rarely wrong. ( Highly intellegent ) are the words he used I think.
    But hey.
    As I said earlier in the post.
    Whatever floats your boats.
    I think Alonso is overrated to be honest.
    I also think Kimi nor any other driver is worth what Kimi gets paid.
    Happy now? :D

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Wow I start on my road trip across the states and I check the motorsport news and it seems all hell has broken loose. Flavio gets an indefinate ban, kimi is back to Mclaren.

Well at least Vectra has gone on another Kimi crusade, thank God some things have stayed the same:)

Wayhey bud.
    Hows the roadtrip going?
    Having fun I hope :cool:

Well,
    I thought I had better kep the place alive while you were away,
    We dont want it dying now do we :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Kers or no Kers.
    A car is a car..

Ok

This post above all the others suggests a complete lack of understanding of the sport.

A car is a car? Oh please!!

Apologies to everyone for mentioning Alonso's name and starting this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yes
    and that same team ONLY gets the big sponsorship money IF they have a driver that can win a wdc at best ;)

Not necessarily true. Look at a lot of the Japanese drivers. Not all were the best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Again you try to sidestep my point, which was that Trulli does not come close to Coulthard in skill.
    Therefore it is wrong of you to say Alonso was a better driver because he beat his teammates more than Kimi did.
    A blind man could see that All of Kimi's Teammates would be more difficult to beat than what Alonso was up against.
    but if that is how you wat to rate him best of luck to you.
    I dont. ;)

Point 1
    Is this the David Coulthard who holds the record for the most crashes in one race. I believe during the 1998 Belgium he crashed about 4 or 5 times, having to come back into the pits every time for repair or a new car. I have the race on DVD. Its probaly the worst driving I have ever seen. Coulthard NEVER beat a decent F1 teammate. Full stop. At least Trulli had Alonsos number for half a season.

Point 2 I just want to say that using average points, or wins, or poles, or fastest laps is not an accurate way to compare drivers. If can just as easily be used as a metric of who had the best car. Performances against team mates is the most accurate, but still not perfect metric we have

smooch71 wrote: »
    Ok

This post above all the others suggests a complete lack of understanding of the sport.

A car is a car? Oh please!!

Apologies to everyone for mentioning Alonso's name and starting this nonsense.

Excuse me for you ignorance on picking my reply in the wrong context.

Let me put it in simpler terms for you.

it doesnt matter if a car has Kers or not if it is a wheelbarrow to drive in the first place.
    kers will not improve or disimprove the Handling of that car.

Does that make it simpler for you to understand?

it doesnt matter if a car has Kers or not if it is a wheelbarrow to drive in the first place.

Oh God

Vectra. The whole thing with KERS is that it IS a trade of of extra power for the sake of worse handling.

KERS changes the weight distrubition of the car towards the rear of the car, which results in the trouble getting the best out of the tyres as the current generation of tyre needs to weight distribuation towards the front. This is why heavier drivers such as Kubica did not use KERS when his much lighter teammate, Heidfield did. The combination of Kubicas weight and KERS meant that the weight distribuation of the cars was way too much as the rear, resulting in the car handling like a pig. Also, KERS raises the center of gravity of the car, which physics dictates, makes the handling worse.

Fact is that KERS does make the car handle worse, but provides extra power. Its a simple trade off

Yeah, I understand it fully.

You don't.

KERS effects the handling of the car. Can't make it any simpler than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

A moderator should really make a sticky for petty irrelevant arguments because so many threads are hijacked by off topic sh1te!

• Advertisement

thegoth wrote: »
    Oh God

Vectra. The whole thing with KERS is that it IS a trade of of extra power for the sake of worse handling.

KERS changes the weight distrubition of the car towards the rear of the car, which results in the trouble getting the best out of the tyres as the current generation of tyre needs to weight distribuation towards the front. This is why heavier drivers such as Kubica did not use KERS when his much lighter teammate, Heidfield did. The combination of Kubicas weight and KERS meant that the weight distribuation of the cars was way too much as the rear, resulting in the car handling like a pig. Also, KERS raises the center of gravity of the car, which physics dictates, makes the handling worse.

Fact is that KERS does make the car handle worse, but provides extra power. Its a simple trade off
    smooch71 wrote: »
    Yeah, I understand it fully.

You don't.

KERS effects the handling of the car. Can't make it any simpler than that.

Yes
    I understand fully about the Kers trade off.
    Do you?
    obviously not.
    Do you not remember how many ditched kers this year?
    either temporary or not?
    did it make a difference to them?
    Did it make BMW any quicker?
    did it do anything for renault?
    Ferrari and McLaren stuck with it and sorted out the problems they had (to an extent )

Whatever your replies are I haver had enough of this.
    Initially this thread was regarding kimi back to McLaren.
    Look where it is now :rolleyes:

If you guys are happy thinking that Alonso is the greatest thing since the sliced pan then I am thrilled for you.
    Me?
    I think he is Over rated and no better than probably the top 5/6 drivers on the grid at present.

Best of luck in 2010 for whoever you support. :cool:

Yes
    Do you?
    obviously not.
    Do you not remember how many ditched kers this year?
    either temporary or not?
    did it make a difference to them?
    Did it make BMW any quicker?
    did it do anything for renault?
    Ferrari and McLaren stuck with it and sorted out the problems they had (to an extent )

Whatever your replies are I haver had enough of this.
    Initially this thread was regarding kimi back to McLaren.
    Look where it is now :rolleyes:

If you guys are happy thinking that Alonso is the greatest thing since the sliced pan then I am thrilled for you.
    Me?
    I think he is Over rated and no better than probably the top 5/6 drivers on the grid at present.

Best of luck in 2010 for whoever you support. :cool:

He's not the greatest thing since sliced bread but in some people's opinions he's better than Kimi. You can't seem to accept that other prople think differently to you and in spite of the fact that they might like Kimi, they're still prepared to acknowledge his flaws which your tunnel vision prevents you from doing.

Don't waste your time reacting to this for my sake coz I won't be back to read it.

"Yes
    Do you?
    obviously not."

Both of the above are quotes from you Vectra. One state "kers will not improve or disimprove the Handling of that car" and in the other, after me and smooch have posted about KERS you claim that you "understand fully about the Kers trade off". These posts are in total contradiction and make debating points with you impossible in my opinion.

Most people here admit when they are wrong. I have in the past when I posted something about Haminton and me not standing him

Please please lock it now

Well.
    I did say I had enough of it on a couple of occasions but some members just wanted to keep it going.
    I was only joining in on the fun :D
    Wind them up I say :p

Well.
    I did say I had enough of it on a couple of occasions but some members just wanted to keep it going.
    I was only joining in on the fun :D
    Wind them up I say :p

You are a troll and you just admitted it.

You contribute nothing of interest and seem to delight in talking absolute rubbish all the time. Up until now I just thought you were an idiot but since I now know you definitely are a troll you have just earned the dubious honour of becoming the very first person on my ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'd happily accept the trolling if it was in any way entertaining, but it isn't.

Didnt even know what this meant til I looked it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Dude. Not cool. Its not often I say this, but if admitting to this here does not result in a ban, then its a huge kick in the teeth for people who actually try and contribute positively. How much time have me and others now wasted on this thread THINKING you were serious. Not cool at all. Deserves a long ban for this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement