Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bertie Ahern's autobiography, will you buy it?

• 20-09-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Bertie has his autobiography coming out soon. It seems a brave move to me given the State of the country and he surely doesn't need the money on his very comfortable pension.

Will you buy it?

Bertie's Autobiography, will you buy it? 143 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    12% 18 votes
    No but I will read someone else's copy
    87% 125 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'll download it as a pirated PDF, print it and burn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

And let him take more of my money!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think I speak for everyone when I say,

'Not in a million years....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

i'll buy it, read it and then piss on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I....I....de...de...de den know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

You could paint a whole housing development with the amount of whitewash that'll come out of this...

His CV for his application to the Park, that's all this is. Who ever tells the whole truth when they're writing a CV? I sincerely hope he does throw his hat in the ring.

So we can have the whole Bertie debate in public again, this time with more hindsight about his REAL legacy.

The teflon man slid too greasily out of the headlines. Not good enough. We need to get him right back up there onto the gas ring, and fry him properly this time.

*** EDIT *** Bear in mind the poll asks will you BUY it not will you READ it. I'd read it for it's codology factor, but I won't spend an honest shilling on a dishonest man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, i'm not a big fan of farcical fiction.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

is it a pop up book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Bertie can't write, shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

No, it would be boring as fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I'd defo read it, never buy it. I'd love to read what he thinks of the way things went since he departed.

If he presented any excuses, I'd regard it a work of light fiction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Whats the book going to be called ? P.S I FCUKED YOU !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No way, I'm saving myself for Screech's saved by the bell expose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm going to get it from a charity shop for 20c, probably on the same day that it's out, punch a hole through it, and tie it to a piece of string next to the toilet. Plenty wiping and no reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Looks like Dan Brown won't be missing any sleep anyway. Just found a review for the book
    Bertie Ahern, three times Irish Taoiseach, is often described as an enigma. The Old IRA man’s son who delivered peace in Northern Ireland. A working class boy responsible for the Celtic Tiger. The man of faith who ushered in progressive, cosmopolitan secular Ireland. An ardent nationalist admired by European leaders. ‘I know 25 per cent of Bertie Ahern’, quipped his finance minister, Charlie McCreevy, ‘and that’s 24 per cent more than anyone else.’ Now in this frank and revealing autobiography, Ahern gives his own account of a remarkable political life and the personal story that accompanies it. He shows the cost to his family of a life played out in the public eye and, for the first time, discloses what really happened in his final weeks in power. Here for the first time is the truth behind the man who is Bertie. Ahern has been at the cutting edge of Irish politics for over three decades. He was first elected to Dail Eireann in the Fianna Fail landslide victory in 1977 that saw Jack Lynch returned as Taoiseach. In 1982, Charles Haughey appointed him Government Chief Whip.
    In volatile political times, he strongly supported Haughey during three challenges to his leadership of Fianna Fail. In 1987, Bertie Ahern received his first cabinet portfolio as Minister for Labour. It was a time when the Irish economy was in crisis. Ireland had a higher debt per head than Ethiopia or Sudan. Unemployment stood at 16 percent. Ahern negotiated Ireland’s first social partnership agreement, which underpinned economic recovery and put in place the foundations for a period of sustained growth. In 1991, he was appointed Minister for Finance. International commentators first began to refer to ’Ireland’s Tiger economy’ in this period. When Bertie Ahern left the Department of Finance in late 1994, for the first time in almost 30 years, Ireland had a budget surplus. Bertie Ahern succeeded Albert Reynolds as leader of Fianna Fail in November 1994. Following the General Election in 1997, he became Ireland’s youngest ever Taoiseach. The Ahern Era was a time of unprecedented progress in Irish society. Over the course of his tenure in office, Ireland’s economy out-performed that of every other European country.
    For the first time ever, the number of people in employment in the State reached 2 million. Working closely with Bill Clinton and Tony Blair, Ahern won widespread acclaim for his perseverance and skill in negotiating the Good Friday Agreement, which has provided the political framework for a lasting peace in Northern Ireland. On the international stage, he was a respected figure who enjoyed an acclaimed Presidency of the European Council in 2004. He presided over the completion of the largest ever expansion of the EU and concluded negotiations on a European constitution. He is one of only five visiting statesmen to have addressed both the United States Congress and the Houses of Parliament in Westminster. At home, Ahern enjoyed phenomenal electoral support. He was the first Taoiseach since 1944 to win three successive General Elections. Bertie Ahern resigned on 6th May, 2008. He had served for ten years, ten months and ten days as Taoiseach.

I thought this bit was good:

In 1987, Bertie Ahern received his first cabinet portfolio as Minister for Labour. It was a time when the Irish economy was in crisis. Ireland had a higher debt per head than Ethiopia or Sudan. Unemployment stood at 16 percent. Ahern negotiated Ireland’s first social partnership agreement, which underpinned economic recovery and put in place the foundations for a period of sustained growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

phasers wrote: »
    No way, I'm saving myself for Screech's saved by the bell expose

Apparantly he's does 'adult videos' now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Diamond#Sex_tape

There goes my innocent childhood memories of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

The autobiography will be notable for what is not in it rather than what is,I don't think it will be a hard-hitting tell-all. I will definitely buy a copy and keep it in the bathroom in case I run out of toilet roll

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm going to get it from a charity shop for 20c, probably on the same day that it's out, punch a hole through it, and tie it to a piece of string next to the toilet. Plenty wiping and no reading.

Indeed, it will never stick to your arse ,it's teflon.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Bertie Ahern's autobiography, will you buy it?

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No thanks.

When I want to read non-fiction, I will buy genuine non-fiction from an impartial observer.
    Not a one sided, most definitely PR Fianna Fail spun side of things.

Self congratulating, self posing trash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wouldn't waste my money buying it or my time reading it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Could someone publish how much Bertie is currently receiving in terms of salary, pensions, expenses, allowances, benefit-in-kind, garda protection and whatever else the taxpayer is providing this person who as minister for finance did not have a bank account.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Could someone publish how much Bertie is currently receiving in terms of salary, pensions, expenses, allowances, benefit-in-kind, garda protection and whatever else the taxpayer is providing this person who as minister for finance did not have a bank account.

At least 100 times too much.:rolleyes:
    Why do we allow people earning big money to draw a massive pension at the same time.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Hell yes - Its en vogue to hate Bertie now - but the man was easily our most successful taoiseach.
    People seem to want to project all of our ills onto him now, but the mans only crime was he was in office too long.

He was subjected to a witch hunt, by a tribunal thats only purpose at that point was to prolong its existence so mahon and his cronies could stay on the gravy train...

Ah no I think Bertie was lovely, but his book will be really boring

ragg wrote: »
    - but the man was easily our most successful taoiseach.

That is so true, he became incredibly rich, and managed to do so without apparently having a bank account for many years.
    We are now paying for his folly, but he will still prosper.:(

What's the big deal about not having a bank acount? Sure thet's what mattresses are for!

:pac:

galwayrush wrote: »
    That is so true, he became incredibly rich, and managed to do so without apparently having a bank account for many years.
    We are now paying for his folly, but he will still prosper.:(

What folly?? what are you on about. The man, while in office, led us through an unrecidented time in our history - he also secured peace in Northern Ireland.

Like I said its en vogue by people, like mat cooper and his other culchie followers, to hate Bertie, but its not warranted at all

phasers wrote: »
    What's the big deal about not having a bank acount? Sure thet's what mattresses are for!

Tp abuse a famous movie quote.............
    We're going to need a bigger mattress................

• Advertisement

ragg wrote: »
    What folly?? what are you on about. The man, while in office, led us through an unrecidented time in our history - he also secured peace in Northern Ireland.

Like I said its en vogue by people, like mat cooper and his other culchie followers, to hate Bertie, but its not warranted at all

Yes it is warranted. There were many other people involved in securing the Peace Process, Looks like our amazing wealth was all built on a massive credit bubble which he refused to believe would ever burst, he and his FF cronies kept encouraging it despite the warning signs, and now the country is in the ****, we'll probably be the last country to get out of recession.:(

The whole western world was built on a credit bubble and it will be again. Thats not Berties fault - he had no way to deal with that.
    We couldn't stop it either, other then taxing homes more, but if you remember, everyone wanted to eliminate stamp duty, to increase it would have caused a riot.
    We are all complicit in where we are now, its not berties fault :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As his daughter does "chick lit", would Bertie's be "twat lit", "dick lit" or a "lying load of bollocks lit"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Yes, but only to piss off the people with huge mortgages who think its somehow Berties fault they agreed to the mortgage

ps i think Bertie is a muppet

As he still sits in the Dail...

Standard TD payment €106,581
    Automatic given allowance of €41,000
    Additional unvouched expenses for last year: €54,705

State pensions payable to him? One for EVERY four years served as TD and they increase in financial number as he rose from position to position.
    So he gets standard state pensions as a TD, standard state pensions as a minister for "office", standard state pensions as head of departments, aditional committees and also as once leader of the country.
    All payable at the same time.

NICE EH!

dhbe6h.jpg

€55m bill for senior ministers' pensions
    Cost to taxpayer keeps rising as politicians accumulate millions

Figures show that, as of the summer recess, several ministers including the two Greens, John Gormley and Eamon Ryan, became eligible for their Defined Benefit pensions, after completing the minimum two years' service.

The Taoiseach Brian Cowen's personal pension, given his length of service, is now worth more than €5m
    , according to pension experts.

Under the pension guidelines as set out by the Department of Finance, Mr Cowen's pensionable salary is €285,000 (a year!), on which he has taken a 10 per cent reduction in actual salary. However, it has emerged that all the ministerial pay cuts announced in last October's Budget did not impact on pensions.

Health Minister Mary Harney has a pension valued at over €4m. This is because she has been at the cabinet table since 1997, and as she held the title of Tanaiste for more than three years, her pension will be based on the Tanaiste's salary, despite her no longer being in the position. Ministers Dermot Ahern and Micheal Martin, who have also sat at the Cabinet since 1997, have pensions worth between €3.5m to €3.8m each. Other ministers like Willie O'Dea, Brian Lenihan, Martin Cullen and Mary Hanafin and the two Green ministers will have pensions worth no less than €3m.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/836455m-bill-for-senior--ministers-pensions-1891557.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'm going to wait 'til the movie comes out - 'True Lies part 2' (or 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrel'), then not bother to go see it in the cinema, but wait 'til RTE have it on as the Christmas matinee in about 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

berties story of how he ruined this country!....wanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

You want to see someone taking the country for a ride?
    Its a long article so if time is short, just note the destinations marked in bold!
    Just scroll down to the bottom.

See this post! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62187927&postcount=463

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll pretend to buy it so I can get close to him at the signing at the book shop, and then I happy slap him, 30 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

I think you can only pay cash for it cause bertie doesn't have a bank account to make laser transactions...............lying little anorak wearing cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I can't wait to read about all those massive wins he got on the horses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Wont be buyin or reading this 'fairytale' the man is a disgrace.

markok84 wrote: »
    is it a pop up book?

Aye, it will be a cock-up of a book!
    ...or at least two fingers to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

only if it has pages like the Gideon's Bible, that can double up as cigarette rolling paper, for when you run out of skins ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'm sure the title of the book will be something like ;

Bertie: What the spin doctors did next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

or maybe the daughter will ghost write it for him.
    she's good at fiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bertie claims he has no money, in a long soft interview in today's Sindo
    "My conscience is a million per cent clear. I just work week-by-week because that's the way it was. I didn't have any money. I still don't have any money."
    I have a house that when it was bought, was bought for 170 grand,'' he says. "I haven't a share in anything. I have not got an investment in anything. I don't own this place," he says in reference to St Luke's. "That was proved. That was one good thing about the tribunal. It is owned by Fianna Fail nationally. It is held by the party locally."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I hope it is double ply, I need some good toilet paper.

Bertie claims he has no money, in a long soft interview in today's Sindo

Well thats a load of bollox for a start: see post 35!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Whats the book going to be called ? P.S I FCUKED YOU !

excellent

• Advertisement
Advertisement