Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dried on grout

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all, I've a bit of a problem with dried on grout. I had someone tile the bathroom recently and the tils go half way up the wall with a line of border tiles at the top. The border tiles have quite a bit of design on them an are dimpled, multi-layered etc. My problem being that the tiler didn't clean off the grout from the border tiles when he was finished - hence grout has gotten into all the crevices of the border tiles. I've tried lots of things to remove it but have yet to find something that works. I've heard phosphoric acid may soften the grout but I can't find this anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas that may help? I really don't want to rip them out and start again as they were expensive.

Thanks in advance,
    Bubba
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just drop into a tile shop and explain they have products just for this. it happens quite a lot.

Try an area you cannot see first like behind the bathroom door right in the corner just to make sure it does not react with the tiles.

It should not. You would just be unlucky.

Its about 30 euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭youtheman

You need acid to remove the grout stains. You can get stuff called 'Mortar Stain Remover' or I've even got stuff called 'Grout Stain Remover'. The former can be got in professional establishments like Dublin Builders Providers, Heiton Buckley etc (not B&Q or Woodies). The latter can be got in a good tile supplier.

BUT MAKE SURE YOU READ THE LITERATURE AS ITS ACID WITH THE ASSOCIATED DANGERS.

Advertisement