Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples and pears into alcohol drinks ?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

A strange question I know, but I have loads of pears and apples in the garden this year , so wondering if anyone knows any way to make them into some kind of alcohol drink ? Cider ?
    If I juiced them then is there something I could do with sugar to get them to turn into something alcoholic.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mikedublin wrote: »
    If I juiced them then is there something I could do with sugar to get them to turn into something alcoholic.
    The juice is just sugar and water. To make cider all you need to add is yeast. You can also add yeast nutrient to help it along, or some tea for added tannins, but all you really need is a €1.50 packet of yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

BeerNut

The juice is just sugar and water. To make cider all you need to add is yeast. You can also add yeast nutrient to help it along, or some tea for added tannins, but all you really need is a €1.50 packet of yeast.

Not even. The non pasteurised apple juice will wild ferment if you leave it alone. Takes a bit longer to mature I think though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

cavedave wrote: »
    Not even. The non pasteurised apple juice will wild ferment if you leave it alone.
    Um. Yes, you're perfectly correct, of course. But I wouldn't recommend it to the beginner cider-maker. Control your sugary ecosystem, I say. Interventionism FTW.

Advertisement