Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing some bits of the Vista Start Menu...

• 20-09-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

While my disdain of Vista has barely diminished over my 18 months of using it, I'm still putting up with it as I'm lazy, usually have access to another machine with XP on it and it's able to do the basics at least without crashing. E.g. using the internet.

But I'm fixing up stuff on it before it enters the warzone that is college and the higher use it will get.

So if someone could help me with this, I'd be very grateful and a thanks will be heading their way. I like much of what the vista start menu does, except for the fact that the start menu (in particular the expanded all programs menu) is very short and the whole thing really is built around the search/run box.

I'm beginning to like that in many ways, but I tend not to remember program names too well and instead would be reliant on its location or size or icon or even what program it's beside, to navigate to it quickly. In vista's menu, there's only a limited selection of my programs displayed and I need to use a drop down menu to show it.

XP and the old school menu in vista, show all of them at once, but that means losing the search box and its benefits and the old school menu looks even uglier than the XP menu that was installed by default back then.

So can I get the best of both?! Btw I've chucked some of that useless DVD maker/windows goodies etc crap into a folder, but it's only made a small difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You can customise Your start menu, right click --> properties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks.

If the properties menu had shown anything really beyond displaying or removing various parts of the vista start menu, I wouldn't be posting here. Check for yourself.

I'm trying to see how I can have every program in the "all programs menu" displayed, instead of having the first 20 or so visible and the rest covered in a drop down menu. Maybe there's some sort of 3rd party program that covers stuff like this instead of leaving it to Explorer's options. I haven't found one yet though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

found this on how to geek
    control panel> appearance and personalization> task bar and start menu> start menu tab> go to privacy and uncheck both boxes> click on customize scroll to the bottom and uncheck "use large icons", also add anything else to the star menu from this list> right click programs and pin to start menu. i have 32 items on my start menu.

Advertisement