Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How intelligent do you think you are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

As of writing this post, 77.94% of the people who have voted in this poll have placed themselves in the top two categories.

The nature of the bell curve and assuming the posters of this forum represent a reasonable cross section of Irish society would mean that half the posters in this forum are below average intelligence. Yet only 5.07% have admitted to being below average intelligence.

This proves that the vast majority of people SERIOUSLY overestimate their own intelligence.

The way I see it from these poll results, most people should probably be shunted to the category below the one in which they've placed themselves.

It would be quite a jump to assume that the takers of this pole are in any way representative of the population as a whole, but it is in line with what I would have considered to be the perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm not especially intelligent, no.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You're off my pub quiz team now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Were you in the late late show audience last friiday night by any chance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think i have adverage intelligence. I have learnt through dealing with people that cannot read or write that you can have zero intelligence when it comes to education but be very wise and intelligent when it comes to life.

and i dont mean streetwise either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kippyc

"Genius is divine perseverance"

Intelligence takes many forms, yet there are countless geniuses out there who fail to apply themselves. Intelligence is sticking with it, whatever 'it' may be:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

hmmm, academically I'd say i'm above average, close to well above, but emotional intelligence probably below average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Why is it a stupid thing to say then... eh?

The average human is not very intelligent. Compared to other animals, yes, we are quite intelligent, compared to other human beings? Dumb as fcuk... ;)

humans are very intelligent!...we have built cities, developed technology etc..
    to say most people are stupid is retarded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Daragh101 wrote: »
    humans are very intelligent!...we have built cities, developed technology etc..
    to say most people are stupid is retarded!

In future, take the time to read my post...

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Ruu wrote: »
    I've never done an IQ test, I don't use it as a measure of how intelligent you are and you would be foolish to think so
    "An intelligence quotient, or IQ, is a score derived from one of several different standardized tests designed to assess intelligence." wiki quote

I wonder if you are one of the people who voted themselves as being in the top two options..... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 maggiemae

Emotional intelligence I would say I am average
    Academically probably slightly above average :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm a thick cunt who gets by on my looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

In future, take the time to read my post...

i did read your post, its completly incorrect!

Latchy wrote: »

No, I was at mass. What did I miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Latchy wrote: »

How d'you get RTE over here? :eek:

No, I was at mass. What did I miss?
    You missed the late late show :pac:

Believe it was not a very good show t b h

brummytom wrote: »
    How d'you get RTE over here? :eek:
    well that's just it ,you cant at moement , although there is ways and means of doing so .

I am sure there is something in the pipeline about being able to subscribe to RTE tv programmes via Sky , at least that's what was in the press last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'd put myself at a 6 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Why is it a stupid thing to say then... eh?

The average human is not very intelligent. Compared to other animals, yes, we are quite intelligent, compared to other human beings? Dumb as fcuk... ;)

"The average human is not very intelligent"

no, the average human is of average intelligence. Intelligence is an abstract thing, it is not like BMI for example. The only way measure intelligence is to compare people. Therefore, it is impossible for the "average human" to have anything or than "average intelligence". It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm pretty much average at best when it comes to intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I tend to get between the 97th and 99th percentile of any aptitude test I've ever done (and I've done quite a few over the years) ... I got over 500 points in the LC without working very hard ... I got a first class honours degree in college (but I did work hard for that.)

I still wouldn't consider myself to be particularly "intelligent". I mean, I'm certainly not stupid. I can memorise large chunks of information. I can understand concepts quite easily, and apply them as necessary. I'm very, very good at taking tests.

But I'm not so good at original, creative thinking and research. Lots of people can regurgitate theories put forward by others ... very few people can put forward theories worth regurgitating!

I'm still very happy with what I've got though.

I have a fairly high IQ. But I'm very ditsy. I can see things differently to other people sometimes. I work things out different ways. Sometimes things that are really obvious to me take other people ages to figure out. I have a really short attention span though. I can forget what I was talking about half way through a sentence (this happens a few times a day) I can read a page of a book and realise I have no idea what just happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I voted average because we are upsetting the bell curve here! Also, it's probably true, I am of average intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

sorry, I don't get it. :confused:Could somebody explain the question to me again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I would have cared years ago when I was competitive about nearly everything and lacked total self confidence. But really I've no idea. I just live day to day and do what I feel like doing. I've never been afraid of nor wouldn't be afraid of taking on any task.

I'm not afraid of anything. So if you asked me to become a succesful sculpter, novelist, engineer, cage fighter or talk show host, I'd be confident I could do any of them. So that might imply I think I'm very very intellegent, I don't think it does though. I mean you've no control over those constant qualities so why think about them?

Really though I've achieved nothing that would imply that I'm highly intellegent.I do nothing generally, apart from unfocused thought.I'm happy with that at the moment anyway,very happy really, content.
    And I like having a laugh and women's breasts. I obviously don't need lots of mental stimulation to be happy so I guess I'm not intellegent......I'd much rather have sexual intercourse with a really hot woman than achieve some intellectual goal......I wouldn't even hestitate in the decision.

In conclusion, sure, why not?!

Now to write this stinking bollox of a thesis, the bane of my life, I'd rather piss on an electric fence than start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

By definition of average, almost everyone can be above average if there's one massive retard in the sample.
    Does this poll include Joe Duffy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

tech77 wrote: »
    Why is there no "extremely intelligent" option in the poll?

Can't figure it out, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've about average intelligence. I have good knowledge, good at English, maths, science etc but socially I leave a lot to be desired. I don't mean that in a kinda way as in "I can't start a conversation and have no friends" (I have lots of friends, for the record) way I mean that as in a "A girl starts chatting with me that I know, she's good lucking. I chat away, but as we get closer, I eventually ask, all out, 'What's your name again?' Sink and burn..."

Example from what I did over the weekend. I might know alot about history, but my when/how-to-ask-a-question skills leave alot to be desired.

I'll leave you all with this feel-good tune which sums up this thread pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Extremely intelligent but dopey as sh*t and lack the necessary cop on that comes easily to most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

I'm just mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Did an IQ test in 1986 & the result was 136.
    Did another one in 2001 with the Scientolagists in the US.
    Came out with the same result.

Mind you, they said I was profoundly unhappy & my life was a ball of crap.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Anonomyte

2+2=4:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I like to think I am intelligent. But in reality I can fix computers and play the guitar. Im pretty crap at everything else.

I once caught a fish this big.

I think it is stupid PC thinking that made this distinction between different areas of intelligence so prevalent. Of course there are different aspects to the intellect, and some individuals have developed one area and not another, but this does not make the question "are you intelligent" irrelevant. People can be terrible at everything but absolute unmitigated genius levels of ability in one particular field, for example mathematics. But there are also people who are identical to the above hypothetical individual except lack the special talent. I can say I am good at maths and bad at English, but my general intellect is average. To hide behind distinct areas of intelligence is to avoid the question in my opinion. I think a lot of the people here who think they are intelligent should ask an honest friend (possible redundant use of the word honest) to tell you if you are intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

I think a lot of the people here who think they are intelligent should ask an honest friend (possible redundant use of the word honest) to tell you if you are intelligent.

please.
    and honest friend replies "i honestly think you're an idiot".
    friendship over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Too intelligent.

wudangclan wrote: »
    please.
    and honest friend replies "i honestly think you're an idiot".
    friendship over.

Well maybe you wouldn't respect that kind of honest but I certainly would. I have been jerked around enough by people who wont just be honest to know believe me it is better to know where you stand.

Well maybe you wouldn't respect that kind of honest but I certainly would. I have been jerked around enough by people who wont just be honest to know believe me it is better to know where you stand.

take it to P.I.

wudangclan wrote: »
    take it to P.I.

I have

and it is just to make a point, not moaning

only messing.
    nobody really needs that kind of honesty.
    better to live in a self-deluded bubble.
    ignorance is bliss. ;)

Well if one really wanted to , one could always do the MENSA test and use it as a barometer for how inteligent they are

not for me though ....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I put myself as above average. According to the psychologists I've seen, that's underestimating my intellect, but I feel uncomfortable going up any further. I'm not a genius by any means, I just process information quickly and work efficiently. I graduated from university when I was 20 and went on to get my Master's degree in writing. My memory scares people; I can easily remember entire conversations word for word weeks after they've occurred. I can look at charts or even pages of book and memorize them within minutes. But I view that as more of a skill, not necessarily a sign of intelligence. To me, intelligence is more about being able to process and connect the information you've stored. You can memorize as many facts as you want, but if you don't find some use for them, what good will they do?

Additionally, I believe that any time you ask a question like this, the majority of people will say that they are above average. It's human nature. Intelligence is relative, and we use ourselves as the litmus test, slightly overestimating our own abilities whilst slightly underestimating the abilities of others.

I put myself as above average. According to the psychologists I've seen, that's underestimating my intellect, but I feel uncomfortable going up any further. I'm not a genius by any means, I just process information quickly and work efficiently. I graduated from university when I was 20 and went on to get my Master's degree in writing. My memory scares people; I can easily remember entire conversations word for word weeks after they've occurred. I can look at charts or even pages of book and memorize them within minutes. But I view that as more of a skill, not necessarily a sign of intelligence. To me, intelligence is more about being able to process and connect the information you've stored. You can memorize as many facts as you want, but if you don't find some use for them, what good will they do?

Hot and smart. God I hate you*

*Disgustingly jealous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Hot and smart. God I hate you

I remember a certain irish glamour model who achieved 600 points in the lc (not a guage but impressive), a frist at trinity in some science course (very impressive) and got accepted to do a phd in cambridge, (the hottest university to study at atm, exceptionally impressive) The topic of which only those that done chemistry/biology to final year would understand. Yet she choose to do glamour modelling instead for financial reasons.

She was accused of lacking emotional intelligance which is laughable.If you know your scientists you'll know that they are socially awkward nuts

Hot and smart. God I hate you*

*Disgustingly jealous :D

Hey, just like every cloud has a silver lining, every rainbow comes with some rain! :P
    Seriously though, it's actually quite hard for me to connect with other people emotionally, which doesn't work well when you're trying to form meaningful relationships. According to the psychologists I've seen, this is because I try to intellectualize everything because that's what I'm the most comfortable with.
    I've been trying recently though. I've really been trying!

Hey, just like every cloud has a silver lining, every rainbow comes with some rain! :P
    Seriously though, it's actually quite hard for me to connect with other people emotionally, which doesn't work well when you're trying to form meaningful relationships. According to the psychologists I've seen, this is because I try to intellectualize everything because that's what I'm the most comfortable with.

You will form a meaningful relationship when the right person comes along. Don't try too hard!! Be yourself, I'm sure there are plenty more like you out there.

I'll try not to be too envious of beautiful geniuses in future :pac:

Have you been getting extra lessons?

Ha, no! I've been dating. I just started dating someone, and I'm trying very hard not to over think the situation or intellectualize it too much. I'm very good at coming up with reasons why, even though we get along and he's quite nice, it won't work out. So I'm trying not to do that. I'm trying to be open and unafraid of things that I'm generally uncomfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

People say i'm intelligent but i'd say i'm just a small bit above average tbh. I wouldn't use the leaving cert as a test on it; Regurgitating info is not an estimate of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

Ha, no! I've been dating. I just started dating someone, and I'm trying very hard not to over think the situation or intellectualize it too much. I'm very good at coming up with reasons why, even though we get along and he's quite nice, it won't work out. So I'm trying not to do that. I'm trying to be open and unafraid of things that I'm generally uncomfortable with.

ithink you should just tell him

nothing worse than being dragged along and then 3-4mths down the road he finds out that you have been shagging his mate:mad:

• Advertisement

Having a big ego to some = intelligence whan all it is ... is ... a big ego

Advertisement