Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a baby, but don't know if I should quit?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm planning to have a baby next year. I'm totally new to the pregnancy things. So your advise would be very very appreciated.

1. I'm working as software Engineer, which means I need to work with the computer at least 8 hours everyday. I'm afraid it is very unhealthy to baby and me ,so I'm thinking that should I quit my job next year to get ready to having a baby? I used to try to apply for transferring to another position which would be less time with computer, but unfortunately, no another position available for me.
    or maybe I'm worried too much. I just think health is the most important thing.

2. I checked my contract, there is no single word that mentions about pregnancy. I don't know if I decided to stay work, will I get paid maternity holidays?

is it legal that every company must pay for the maternity holidays? or it should be specified on contract? I'm totally confused.

many many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am a network engineer and spend 10 hours + a day at a computer,It will have to effect on you or the baby,unless you are resting hot laptop on bump.
    If you want and can to give up work to have your baby then do.
    You accrue holidays and bank holidays while on leave but other then that your employer does not have to pay you.
    Social welfare pay you a max of 280 pw currently but this will probably change with the next budget and currently I think it is based on 07 tax credits,yo qualify you also have to be in paid employment 16 weeks prior to maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

OP, are you in a union, or is there one in your workplace? They would be well up on entitlements.

Under Health & Safety legislation:

"An employer should carry out separate risk assessments in relation to pregnant employees. If there are particular risks to an employee's pregnancy, these should be either removed or the employee moved away from them."
    from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/health-and-safety/health_safety_work

Giving up a job in the present climate is not ideal, unless you can afford it. The law is there to protect pregnant women, use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Talk to your dr about it if you are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I dont see why you would need to give up your job at all. If anything it'd be easier on you being at a desk as pregnancy can be so tiring physically. I'm due my first in a few days and I know I would have done anything to be at a desk instead of the job I was doing (childcare, quite demanding physically) I found the first trimester very tiring and also the last few weeks at work I was pretty useless as lifting the kids was quite hard with my bump.
    I finished up 3 weeks ago and so far it feels like forever waiting till babs gets here, I can imagine how long that would feel if I had given up work earlier on.

With regards to maternity pay its up to the company you work for if they will still pay you while on leave but if not then you should be entitled to state maternity benefit. Look up the following link for more info:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/social-welfare-payments-to-families-and-children/maternity_benefit

HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I shouldn't think it would be necessary to give up work, especially not before you've even become pregnant! You need to keep a degree of normality when trying to conceive, otherwise it'll take over your life and this in itself can delay conception.

I too would love an office job being pregnant! I'm nearly 27 weeks pregnant working as a nurse and some days I would love to just sit at a computer! (however much I like my job!)

It doesn't matter what job you're in, you'll be entitled to 26 weeks maternity leave. Its at your employers discretion as to whether they pay you or not, but you will recieve state maternity benefit either way.

The best thing you can do now is to start taking folic acid, give up smoking if you smoke, reduce your alcohol intake, do a little exercise. Just whatever you can to get your body into the best possible condition for pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- if you are a software engineer- you will be fully aware of how deadline orientated your job is, and how stressful it can get at times. While you will probably be given time off to attend clinics etc- unfortunately your work load will remain constant- and you'll find yourself trying to squeeze more and more in, just to remain at the same pace as previously.

Software engineering is not a regular deskjob, it does get stressful- and you will be left to deal with that yourself. While your employer may have an onus to keep you safe- it doesn't extend to helping you manage your stress levels.

As anyone here can tell you- stress and pregnancy are not good bed fellows......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am a network engineer and spend 10 hours + a day at a computer,It will have to effect on you or the baby,unless you are resting hot laptop on bump.
    If you want and can to give up work to have your baby then do.
    You accrue holidays and bank holidays while on leave but other then that your employer does not have to pay you.
    Social welfare pay you a max of 280 pw currently but this will probably change with the next budget and currently I think it is based on 07 tax credits,yo qualify you also have to be in paid employment 16 weeks prior to maternity leave.

Moonbeam- I was a network engineer for 4 years, and a software engineer for 2. While they do both entail working at a computer- they are entirely different jobs- I'd give my right arm to get back into network engineering. From the OPs perspective- they will have the same work to do- if they're attending clinics- in a smaller timeframe. When you're out, your colleagues wouldn't normally be in a position to help you- particularly in the current climate- where the different engineers may not have backup with similar skillsets.

I'd be worried about the OP trying to do the same amount of work- and getting highly stressed- depending on their work conditions, as you're well aware- you're probably left to go and get things done- with reviews every couple of days- there is no-one looking over your shoulder.

If it was a regular deskjob, it wouldn't matter as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

My wife had a rough pregnancy. She works at a computer for 10hours
    a day. Go see Citizens Advice see what your entiled to.
    In my wifes case her employers were very good(Major delivery company).
    Hope things work out for you and good luck with the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'd say you'll be fine. I'm pregnant atm and finishing a PhD thesis (somewhat stressful as I want to get it finished before baby arrives). I spend 7-8 hours a day at a computer and I haven't found it to be a problem. It's probably the easiest part of the day tbh; the rest is spent running after my toddler son and doing household stuff. There's no point wrapping yourself in a bubble; most pregnant women have busy lives and their babies turn out fine. In the unlikely case you do have pregnancy complications and need actual bedrest or sth, you will probably be able to take sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

You will be fine in your job. If anything being busy will distract you from pregnancy symptoms and sitting at a computer will not harm you or your baby. I'm not a software engineer but I do work to extremely tight deadlines and it involves sitting at a computer all day and worked right up to the day before I had my baby (was induced early). I didn't find the deadlines much tougher than before. I was tired but to be honest everyone knew I was pregnant and everyone knew I was going to be more tired than usual so they just let me get on with it.

I think a lot would depend on your employer and whether they are good with this kind of thing or not. My employer was excellent and I never had any problems taking time off if I needed it or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I really don't think you should give up your job, I don't think you should decide its a career or a baby! Women are more than capable of doing both regardless of how stressful or demanding the job is. Once you get pregnant do what you can and if at that point you feel you can't do both then quit.

If your worried about maternity pay speak to your HR department, they will be able to tell you and put your mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

I think you are worrying unnecessarily.....

Firstly - it's not normal to have any reference to maternity benefit listed in your contract. It will be covered under your company's maternity leave policy. Check it out wherever your company normally stores all their policies - these days, the policies are most normally available to employess on the company intranet. If your company does not ahve an internet, it will be listed in a handbook or similar. If you can't find it , simply ask your manager or your HR Business Partner where you can find all the company policies... you do not have to tell tehm which policy you are looking for if you don't wish too.

Secondly - even if your business do not pay a discretionary maternity benefit (i.e. salary top up) you are entitled under the law to 26 weeks maternity leave and associated statutory benefit (max = 280 per week) and then a further 16 weeks unpaid leave if you wish to avail of it. This maternity leave is not discretionary ie. it's not up to the company to decide whether to grant it to you or not. It is your basic entitlement under the law. Any additional monies on top of the basic payment from the Dept of SW is however completely discretionary i.e. there is no obligation on any business to make any form of a salary top up.

Thirdly - yes , your job involves working with a PC for 8 hours every day and is deadline focused and I'm sure can be quite stressful at times. However, there are 1000's of women every year , up and down the country, who continue to hold down quite stressful and deadline focused roles while pregnant . It's perfectly doable. Pregnancy is not an illness. It's a "normal" state of health. Yes, it brings certain conditions with it like extra tiredness and sometimes not feeling well, but this is all still normal. And, it's perfectly possible to hold down a fast-paced and stressful job while pregnant. The key is in how you manage yoru stress levels. And, of course, in how you manage your job. Also, if your feeling sick gets beyond the "normal" range for pregnancy, then you work with your doctor and you can take sick leave if needed.

I say relax ... of course it's a huge unknown situation to you , but honestly, it's not as complicated as what you are making it seem like in your head. 1000's of us manage it all , all the tiem.

Good luck with it all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Kaybe wrote: »
    I think you are worrying unnecessarily.....

Firstly - it's not normal to have any reference to maternity benefit listed in your contract. It will be covered under your company's maternity leave policy. Check it out wherever your company normally stores all their policies - these days, the policies are most normally available to employess on the company intranet. If your company does not ahve an internet, it will be listed in a handbook or similar. If you can't find it , simply ask your manager or your HR Business Partner where you can find all the company policies... you do not have to tell tehm which policy you are looking for if you don't wish too.

Secondly - even if your business do not pay a discretionary maternity benefit (i.e. salary top up) you are entitled under the law to 26 weeks maternity leave and associated statutory benefit (max = 280 per week) and then a further 16 weeks unpaid leave if you wish to avail of it. This maternity leave is not discretionary ie. it's not up to the company to decide whether to grant it to you or not. It is your basic entitlement under the law. Any additional monies on top of the basic payment from the Dept of SW is however completely discretionary i.e. there is no obligation on any business to make any form of a salary top up.

Not entirely true,not everyone is entitled to maternity benefit.It is subject to stamps.

Sorry - (Doh!) - yes, of course it's subject to having enough stamps paid.
    But, I just assumed (for no reason) that as she mentioend that she was in a job as SW Engineer that she'd been working for a while. She is currently in a job, and is not planning to start mat leave until at least next year, so one of the requirements for number of stamps in that year will have been met.

So , with the caveat that if the lady has enough stamps, I still think she is worrying unnecessarily - I don't think there is any need to plan to leave a job on the chance that she might get pregnant next year .

But, that's just my tuppence....... trying to let the lady know that there are thousands and thousands of us here in this country who manage pregnancies, and stressful jobs quite successfully. In fact, I put it out there that the first pregnancy is a doddle compared to being pregnant, stressed at work AND going home to an 1 year old active toddler ! ;)

The thing is you may have enough stamps for maternity benefit but that does not mean that your employeer has to top up the rest of your wages to bring you up to what you would normally earn, you need to check your terms of employment/contract.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The thing is you may have enough stamps for maternity benefit but that does not mean that your employeer has to top up the rest of your wages to bring you up to what you would normally earn, you need to check your terms of employment/contract.

It would be extremely unusual to find maternity benefit (i.e. salary top-up) referred to in an employment contract.
    Not the best place to look for teh information.
    An employee handbook, or wherever the company keeps it's policies is the appropriate place to look for this information.

Terms of emploment are usually listed in the employee hand book but not all companies have them.

Advertisement