Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullow Street (Carlow) on a Sunday

Options
  • 20-09-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone else finds it irritating trying to walk up or down Tullow Street on a Sunday. It's virtually impossible to walk on the ride side of the street because cars are parked on the entire footpath, almost in against the shop walls. I actually couldn't walk out of Shaws one day because the front entrance was blocked by a car and I had to wait for the driver to move. The left side isn't much better, there's usually only room for one person to walk. If you see someone coming in the opposite direction you have to stand behind a parked car to let them pass. The majority of shops are open on a Sunday so shouldn't the bollards be left up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Tis a tad annoying alright and not great planning with regard to footpaths etc.

Here's an interesting fact for you. You known at the end of lower Tullow street, where the 'Pound Shop' used to be, there is a house there, set back from the rest of the buildings (there does be stalls there selling cloths). Thats one of the oldest buildings on the street and Tullow street was intended to be that wide, but, the next person built there premises out further and so everyone else down the line copied this, thus, we have a narrow little main street when we could have had something more substancial!

/interesting fact

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

That is interesting CroppyBoy. I think Carlow town might actually have been very different if Tullow Street was that width.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

thats mad, would have been better that way, is it the same with aib bank on the other side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

thats mad, would have been better that way, is it the same with aib bank on the other side?

The AIB bank was the Munster & Leinster bank in the '60s.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of it at my parents place.

The building was 'level' with the others then.

The building that's there now would be relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The AIB bank was the Munster & Leinster bank in the '60s.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of it at my parents place.

The building was 'level' with the others then.

The building that's there now would be relatively new.

Correct! In saying that though, I wonder why 'The Barracks', what was, originally the Garda Barracks was set so far in off the street? Just a wild guest but I'd imagine it was so that they could park there Garda vechicles in front of the building yet not block the road?

• Advertisement
Advertisement