Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Lectures

Options
  • 20-09-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I've jst started DIT and jst have a quick question regarding missing lectures. If you have to miss a lecture due to an urgent appointment etc do you have to make a lecturer aware of this or what is the typical way of approaching this situation? We were told on induction/oreintation day but i was told so much that day i cant remember. If you hav to make the lecturer aware is email the best way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

wouldnt worry about it, dit expect you to miss lectures, its in the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Margaret.G

thanks, was ony worried coz it's one of my first lectures next week so thought it might look bad on my part, having not already met the lecturer and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

if you have their email address drop them an email just to let them know. It shows you give a crap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ultimately you're going to miss a few lectures. Sometimes because you've things to do elsewhere, sometimes because there's something good on in cineworld.

Lecturers also can miss lectures due to illness etc. It happens. But if you miss one, you're expected to catch up on your own.

I would drop the lecturer an email if it's one of the first just to say hello and as chillywilly says, make it apparent that you care.

Thanks a mill for the advice! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It depends on the class really. If you're in a massive class and won't be noticed then don't bother, if on the other hand there are only a handful of you it's probably best to drop your lecturer an email, you might earn more brownie points for appearing to care than for actually being there.

I think there is a minimum attendance of 75%. I've never really seen this been used, but it's always hovering there. I had one lecturer who used to give us a sign-in sheet every week with our percentage of attendance next to our names... the only problem was the %s were usually inaccurate so we didn't pay too much attention to them.

I have been in a situation where I queried a result and was officially told that I couldn't expect anything else with my low attendance rate.

It depends on the class really. If you're in a massive class and won't be noticed then don't bother, if on the other hand there are only a handful of you it's probably best to drop your lecturer an email, .

Yeah my course is fairly small,from what i gather, bout 40 as far as i'm aware. i know by udc standards that'd be very small not too sure bout dit. but i think my best bet so far is with emailing the lecturer, sure it's not like it'll do me ny harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

how many credits do ya need to pass a year anyway?like say for exam in my first simester i have 6 programmes..if i missed one exam for one or failed it would it have much signifigance?sorry for hijacking the thread!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

wardides wrote: »
    how many credits do ya need to pass a year anyway?like say for exam in my first simester i have 6 programmes..if i missed one exam for one or failed it would it have much signifigance?sorry for hijacking the thread!lol

You pretty much need to pass everything and get all your credits to proceed to the next year. If you fail 1 subject by a small margin they may pass you by compensation but it all depends on the rules of the school your in also

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

grimm2005 wrote: »
    You pretty much need to pass everything and get all your credits to proceed to the next year. If you fail 1 subject by a small margin they may pass you by compensation but it all depends on the rules of the school your in also

Seriously?so like say i have 6 programmes this simester and i fail one of them whats gona happen there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Depends how much you fail by. I think the general guideline for compensation is one subject above 30% or two subjects above 35%.
    Then there are critical/core subjects that you must pass for your course and can't carry them on, then there are other courses that you may be allowed carry into the next year.

Again attendance in class can be used in determining whether or not they let you carry subjects on etc.

Advertisement