Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good value compact camera?

• 20-09-2009 3:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any good deals for small simple point and shoot cameras? I'll mostly be using it for nights out taking photos of people and then occasionally on holidays etc

I've had a Canon Ixus 65 before and really liked it but it was crap in low light. I then got a Fuji F100FD but found it a bit slow.

I just want something simple, good quality, quick, good low light etc - but as cheap as possible.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

You could pickup a second hand Canon G10 for a fairly good price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hmm no sorry I'm looking for something new and pocket sized for bring out to clubs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I bought this camera over a year ago for just those reasons:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

Its brilliant! I use my SLR when its practical to drag all the bits and pieces around but this is perfect for heading out at night, or just to have in your bag. Yesterday was the perfect example...I carried it round all day while I took part in the Dublin City Chase which is a total day of mayhem! And it took some amazing shots. Great quality, big clear screen, 10x optical zoom and a wide angle lens.

There might be a newer version out there now so check into that but this is the one for me!!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chelleflife

Sorry, that reply above (by edanto) was actually me...my mate was logged in on my laptop... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RRaff

Canon's new Ixus 95 would be the one i would go for. Small and they cost about €199
    plus with the new intelligent auto setting it will solve all your low light problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Picked up this one in spain for €159 for herself. I'm mighty impressed by the quality of pics (first time I've seen a 12mp shot),it's super fast,good quality vid, and easy to figure out. Didn't even look over here for one so don't know what they sell for. Battery life seems good too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hello Zascar,

There is a sticky thread at the top which would probably be the best place to start.

Zascar wrote: »
    I just want something simple, good quality, quick, good low light etc - but as cheap as possible.

Unfortunately you have specified a camera that does not exist. The problem is the low light capability. To get performance in low light you are talking big money and large. Good luck.

Advertisement