Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport

Options
  • 20-09-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

We are travelling to Cork in a few weeks. Just want to know how far from the airport to city centre and roughly how much it costs in a taxi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Sparky84 wrote: »
    We are travelling to Cork in a few weeks. Just want to know how far from the airport to city centre and roughly how much it costs in a taxi.

The airport is about 3 miles from the city center and the taxi is generally between €10 to €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Thanks for that. Will be having a few beers there too. Any recommended pubs to visit in the city ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Sparky84 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Will be having a few beers there too. Any recommended pubs to visit in the city ??

What type of bar/pub? Are you looking for somewhere with Irish trad music etc..? Some people recommend "An Brog" personally I dislike it. Very bad pints. One of my favourites is "The Franciscan Well" - http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/ Great atmosphere, defo a favourite over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Just looking for a bar with a local type atmosphere. Nothing too elaborate,and not to forget the Pint MUST be good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Don't go to the Brog for a good pint! The Franciscan Well is a lovely spot alright, or if you want a place closer to town try Costigans, The Oval, Mutton Lane, The Pav - there are a lot of decent places around.

Also, there are private busses which leave from right in front of Cork Airport and will drop you off around town for €5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

yea don't go to the Brog. ****ing stink off the place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The Old Oak is a local kinda place, all posers and cnuts though, except when I'm in there.

The Franciscan Well is very nice with alot of Imported beers and a few home brews.

You must try Schneider Weise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

am I the only one around who thinks the local brews in The Franciscan Well are awful????
    Sure if you are going for the imported beer you can get those in any decent pub, The Franciscan Well itself is a pretty dead place to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I have to disagree with you there, Forrest.
    I think their weissbier is great, even in comparison to German ones. The stout is pretty good too, and I like the Blarney Blonde. I'm not so keen on the Rebel Red or Rebel lager though.

If you want a good pint and atmosphere, maybe try Sin É on Coburg Street. You could build a nice pub crawl along Franciscan Well > Bierhaus > Abbot Ale House > Sin É.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Apart from the Weissbeer and the Blarney Blonde I'm not that fond of some of the Well's brews. The atmosphere is still good usually though. Sin E is a great rec', the pav is my favourite "local" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Vinta81 wrote: »
    The airport is about 3 miles from the city center and the taxi is generally between €10 to €15.

If your lucky. I'd add an extra 10 Euros on to that price if you have any luggage with you.

Try Soho on the Grand Parade, nice food and pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

The Old Oak is a local kinda place, all posers and cnuts though, except when I'm in there.

The Franciscan Well is very nice with alot of Imported beers and a few home brews.

You must try Schneider Weise.

Pick up joint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

[
    If you want a good pint and atmosphere, maybe try Sin É on Coburg Street. You could build a nice pub crawl along Franciscan Well > Bierhaus > Abbot Ale House > Sin É.[/quote]

If you're calling in to Sin é, then also try The Corner House next door. Nice atmosphere, great pint.

Advertisement