Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing coins

• 20-09-2009 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Has anyone photographed coins before? If anyone has any tips or tricks I would be seriously indebted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Hi
    What kind of gear have you access to ?, if you have a DSLR, with a decent
    lens with a wide aperture you could get nice DOF shots if you angle the shot a little, shooting face down would be hard to get a nice shot ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Even if you have a point and shoot the macro features are very good on them. Last shots I did were with a 100mm macro and off camera flash, one thing to note was that when shot with a macro the flaws and scrapes on the coins really come to the fore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Not exactly coins, but watches...

Borderfox posted good idea about an year ago to use M&S collapsible laundry basket. Using few table lamps or off-camera flashes should work.

IMPORTANT - metals are shiny and reflective surfaces. And most of the time (if they are not completely mat) you won't see their colour. The colour seen and captured by camera is colour of the surface that reflects itself in the surface. Therefore it is essential to have colour cards as (not seen) backgrounds (yellow for gold, red for copper...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

BBQ Guy wrote: »
    Has anyone photographed coins before? If anyone has any tips or tricks I would be seriously indebted.
    = NAMA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Who needs a job when you can make your own coins.

I like your thinking OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

It all depends on what you want to show??
    Front only
    Front and Back
    Are they for selling or justa record of a collection

Best option would be a light tent and a flash off the camera. You can make a light tent easily with a cardboard box and some craft paper. Or as Borderfox has pointed out the M&S collapsible laundry basket(haven't seen that myself)

I am in Waterford also and if you would like some help setting up give me a shout via PM

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ThOnda wrote: »
    IMPORTANT - metals are shiny and reflective surfaces. And most of the time (if they are not completely mat) you won't see their colour. The colour seen and captured by camera is colour of the surface that reflects itself in the surface. Therefore it is essential to have colour cards as (not seen) backgrounds (yellow for gold, red for copper...).

So I did it all wrong then?

Coin.jpg

There is no "wrong", don't worry.
    But check the white balance, the picture looks yellow a little. And a little soft. tripod is good assistant in such cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ThOnda wrote: »
    There is no "wrong", don't worry.
    But check the white balance, the picture looks yellow a little. And a little soft. tripod is good assistant in such cases.

Shot on film using a tripod. Maybe I just didn't quite get the focus right, it's been known to happen. :rolleyes:

sovsect.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement