Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with DIT Gym?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I enquired into joining the DIT gym via email and got this response :confused:

Unfortunately we are not in the position to sell membership packages as
    we are only able to operate the Fit2Go Club facility at 25% of normal
    opening hours. There is a total staff embargo on the issuing of new
    contracts that is affecting the whole public sector work force and this
    is having an immediate and detrimental impact on the level of
    service/programmes and opening hours that we can offer.

Until this matter can be resolved I would recommend that you visit the
    facility during the advertised opening hours and purchase a pay per
    visit card for €10 which will enable you to access the faciity (5
    visits x €2).

I apologise for the inconvenience which I know this restricted level of
    service may cause you but I hope that we will have a solution soon, at
    this stage the matter rests with the HEA.

Any chance the powers that be could clarify the matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Voltwad,

The e-mail describes the situation fairly much as it's happening. The government have established a complete ban on the recruitment of non-academic staff in higher education. (There's a bit more leeway for academic staff) As contracts end, we are not allowed renew them. We've also been informed that any college which breaches the rules will be penalised severely. Any exceptions to this rule have to be approved by the Dept of Finance (i.e. Brian Lenihan's Dept). So far none of the positions which Campus Life have applied for have been approved. This is having implications all round the college - and in every college in the country. From talking to my colleagues in other universities, everybody is struggling to keep services open. In DIT (in Campus Life, I can't talk for other services) we'll be able to maintain normal service in Careers, Societies, Mature Student Support, Chaplaincy, Student Financial Aid and Accommodation. In Disability Service we've lost one of our four Learning Support Officers; in the Medical Centre (North city) we have lost a part-time receptionist; in Counselling we have lost one of our six full-time counsellors. We're working hard to ensure that students aren't affected by the loss of staff in these services.

Sports has been hardest hit, with the leisure centres very badly affected. The leisure centres are obviously a priority. We're working flat out to resolve the situation, and get the leisure centres back open on a full-time basis. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience - it's certainly not a situation we want to be in.

Hope that clarifies things to some extent. We'll do our best to keep people involved of progress.

Regards,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

a friend was telling me about this the other day. i have already quit my local gym thinking i would just join the dit one and now i am stuck. i know its not your fault, im just annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Has anyone been in the pool/gym yet? Can't seem to find out what hours they're available and I've a four hour gap tomorrow that could use some productive filling!

how did it go? i am going to try and get in tomorrow. does anybody know times or any other info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hello,

I live across from DIT on Bolton street and i would like to know if i could use the gym?
    I've been there twice(before the year started) the place looked dead and quiet, no one at the information desks etc....

Anyone have any info on this PLEASE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Zygnoth

Bolton Street gym is completely shut for the foreseeable future. Supposedly, the equipment is marked for the Kevin Street gym.

The place was pretty small all along but I've been using it for the last year and it was really handy. I was told to use the Kevin Street facilities in the meantime but that's really far away...I'd have done a gym session in the time it'd take me to walk there and back!

ah,crap. i guess i will just have to join the kevin street gym so. what are its opening hours and where can i join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Razthor

I really need this gym to stay open. With only 25% of last years times there's no chance I can get there for it.

Razthor wrote: »
    I really need this gym to stay open. With only 25% of last years times there's no chance I can get there for it.

are you talking about kevin street or bolton street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

The only person now working in the Kevin St. gym is Jenny (until Oct 12th). Rob, Laura and Derek had seen their contracts run out but can't be offered new ones, because of the HEA embargo on staff (thanks to the government).
    This means there will be no gym facilities in DIT in a fortnights time.

The times are up on the door but run something like this:
    8-9 Pool Only
    9-12 Gym Only
    12-1 Lunch
    1-2 Pool only
    2-5 Gym only

The times vary here and there over the week, but only by an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

theres a petition going round to get the sports facilities re-opened I signed it in aungier st. today, su office in your campus would probably have info on it!
    apparently the money is there for the staff, they're just not allowed to renew their contracts! its ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Yeh signed that petition today.

i will sign it tomorrow! come on gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slaphead_

Used the Bolton St gym last two years 2-3 times a week at lunch. It was a brilliant facility but far better than nothing and leaves a big gap now that it is gone!
    Anyone know any close alternatives to the Bolton St gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Signed the petition today , it's going around the classes today , so guys please sign it .

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Kinda hoping we'll get to have a protest about this, I've been a student for over a week now, and still havn't protested anything! Very upsetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

There was a silent protest about this today in bolton st when the junior minister Sean Haughey was in to visit the sweedish thing me gig.

It appeared to go well apart from one tool at the end putting his 'mask' right in the ministers face. The mask being a4 pages of the ministers picture printed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CampbellSeanVP

Hi Guys,

Right the craic is that the Students Union is working hard on lobbing the government on this we got Sean Haughey at the protest. Tracey was telling him our problems. Anyway last night I had 5 Min's with Batt O keeffe at a function in the helix (DCU).

5 mins!!!! of him listening to me about the sports in dit and that students money is there to pay for the gyms pool etc. Also got to talk to him about fees and Grange Gorman. He was positive enough about grange gorman and he wouldn't give a proper answer on the fees just to say that nothing was on the table yet....his words.

I did tell him that students wouldn't be in college next year if fees came in....anyway the main point was the sports staff in DIT he wanted me to send an email on it today so I have and we will just wait and see now folks. Fingers crossed eh?

That's the latest news. We are trying people...

Regards,

--
    Sean Campbell.
    Vice President,
    DIT Students' Union,
    Bolton Street,
    Dublin 1.

Ph: 01 402 2944
    Mob: 086 603 1076
    Email: vpservices@ditsu.ie

www.ditsu.ie
    DIT Students' Union - supporting student life

thanks sean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Shoot-a

any links / articles etc about this madness? i'd like to get fully informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I would highly recommend joining one of Ben Dunnes Gyms over any DIT gym for one simple reason.

They are open when they say they are going to be open.

Nuf said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RobbieDirect

The Carlisle gym on Kimmage Rd is excellent and only 20 mins from Aungier st on the 19a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JamesGJFX

Any update or change of scenario for the DIT gym?

JamesGJFX wrote: »
    Any update or change of scenario for the DIT gym?

i want it to open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Could the SU organise volunteers to keep the pool or gym open? Even if it's for an hour a day. I'd gladly volunteer my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

Has anyone been using the YMCA gym just down the road?
    Been looking into joining a gym since DIT dont seem to be opening anytime soon and havent heard much about what the best (and cheapest) places are around town..

any news with regards the gym?

If anyone had DIT news' latest issue, keep an eye out for my article regarding it ;)

i got a text today that the kevin street gym and pool are open again starting today!

• Advertisement

there was only 9 digits on the phone number they gave :(

Advertisement