Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Website Online

• 20-09-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hiya guys....i have used Dreamweaver CS4 to build my website and everything is good from my end.

However i have looked into actually get the website up and running and just don't understand all this FTP stuff etc.. etc.. on how to get it online.

If someone could help me through this i would be very grateful. I know its only takes no more than 5 mins but i just cant get my head around it.

Cheers
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WSBE25912D-A9DE-4ba1-9F85-4C692F5C14ADa.html

Basically this in normal english would be very helpful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

Hi Hino,

Have you purchased web hosting? If you have it may be best to check your hosts support site as I'm sure they will have a walk through for all this.

If you haven't purchased any web hosting yet you could check this thread out for some help http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hino

Okay so do i just sign up to a web hosting company and then its basically follow there guidelines?.

If so i get on it straight away.

Any ideas of the best webhosters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hino wrote: »
    I don't understand all this FTP stuff etc.. etc.. on how to get it online.

FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol"; "File Transfer" meaning "copy" and "Protocol" meaning a standard (i.e. it won't matter whether you're using Windows, Unix or Mac - it'll still copy the files).

Visiting a website is anonymous and normally not password-protected to VIEW the site; but you obviously don't want just anyone to CHANGE your site. So that file copy is password-protected.

So you have a username and password for FTP, and you use that to copy all of the files required for the website onto the hosting server; that's required because your computer will be switched off but the hosting server won't - it'll be switched on 24/7 for people to access your site.

So basically, get a hosting package, log in using FTP username and password, and upload all of the files for your website to the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Hino - I would suggest Digiweb for your webhosting.

Starting out as a novice you will need to choose a webhosting package that includes a control panel - digiweb's CP is very easy to use and you won't get lost, they also have a webbased ftp client/file manager that basically allows you to upload anything you want right there in the browser so you dont need to learn the whole ftp thing straight from scratch.

You are also going to need to register a domain name, basically like boards.ie you will need to have somewhere to point your visitors to and then host it on your webhosting. Otherwise thats all you really need to get you started! It can be daunting at first but soon you will realise what were you even confused about in the first place!

Happy coding!

Advertisement