Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Express starting to cut back

Options
  • 20-09-2009 6:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I just found out today (the hard way, by my missus standing at the bus stop for an hour) that the Swords Express doesn't run on a Sunday anymore.

On their blog
    http://www.swordsexpress.com/blog/2009/09/04/65/#more-65
    one of the reasons they give is that the DOT has taken 18 months so far to decide on whether the service can be extended to Applewood.

Is it just me or does this not seem like a complicated decision. Either you approve the application or you deny it. Why does it take a year and a half to consider it?

NAMA can be conceived and will probably be up and running in less than 18 months. Meanwhile the DOT spends the same amount of time joining two points on a map. I'd say there's a possibility there of getting rid of some dead wood from that department.

And of course the local representatives of Swords are probably off cashing some expenses cheques. If these guys had to rely on public transport I'd be pretty sure we'd have a world class system in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Mick - You've obviously not been reading this board - I posted this news a week ago!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681183

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ive yet to see one of these coaches more than 1/3 full. A pity for the owner (I know hes on boards) but I cant see how the business model is working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ive yet to see one of these coaches more than 1/3 full. A pity for the owner (I know hes on boards) but I cant see how the business model is working :(

Always full 7-9am into the city, and 4.30pm - 7pm fron the city.

This is where the money is made.

Is there anything we can do to hassle the transport office, expose their lazyness sitting on applications for months, and demand better service for our taxes?

Users of Swords Express and potential users of these services in Swords should organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Always full 7-9am into the city, and 4.30pm - 7pm fron the city.

This is where the money is made.
    If thats the case,only run the service between those hours!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Sizzler wrote: »
    If thats the case,only run the service between those hours!

Not all those going in at peak hours are coming home at peak hours. So you'd end up getting a monthly / yearly ticket for Swords Express and then have to pay more for Dublin Bus to get home. Customers would end up not buying the longer term tickets.
    How would it work for paying the drivers? Hire them for a full day or just for 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening. I don't know but I'd say that would cost more than hiring them for 8 hours straight. The buses would still be costing money (I think they're rented) if the service wasn't run in off peak hours.
    Maybe he is breaking even with the buses during the day. I get them during the day occasionally. There's always a few people on it. I've no idea what the operating costs are per hour but I'd be pretty sure the operators have their spreadsheets and wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't worth it.

Or to think outside of the box how about rather than cutting back the off peak service the DOT approve the license application they've been sitting on for a year and a half so they can increase their customer base and provide a better service.

Unlike other operators the Swords Express does move the timetable around to try and maximise capacity when they find their buses are full. That's mad thinking apparently for other companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement