Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dismantling Slate bed table

• 20-09-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a slate bed pool / snooker table, either 6 x 3 or 7 x 4. I'm looking at second hand tables, and was wondering how easy it would be to take the legs off.

I appreciate the weight of a slate bed, and don't particularly want to be taking the felt or cushions etc off. In order to transport we would need to take the legs off.

Generally, is it possible to do this without taking off the slate or are the bolts under the slate?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Hi,
    It depends on how many slates are on the table. On a full size table 12x6 there are 5 slates which are layed on to the assembled wooden frame, these are placed together and a compound (polyfilla) is then used to seal the joints which when dry is then sanded to ensure a smooth finish so that the cloth can be laid.The cushions are then bolted on to the side of the slate. In relation to your table if there is more than one slate then realistically you would have to dissamble the table completly to transport as the slightest movement between slates would involve having to remove the cloth and resealing the joints between slates.I know on older tables the slates are one inch and a quater thick so there are quite heavy, i believe the newer tables have thinner slates nonetheless the chances of transporting a table with more than one slate is virtually impossible as not to disturb the joints between slates. Hope this helps any other questions don't hesitate to ask my brother is a qualified table fitter so i can ask him for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Hi zack01,

Thanks for the informative reply.

The slate is one piece and I'm nearly settled on a 7 x 4 table. I'm aware it will probably still weigh a tonne, but I figure if I can easily take the legs off, it at least would be easier to manoeuvre.

As its one slate piece, I am hoping the legs detach without the need to remove the cloth / cushions etc.???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

If it is a traditional snooker table, due to the weight of state it does just sit ontop of the leg frame work, which can then be broken into the individual legs and the frames;

For transport I know you state you would not like to take off the cushions but I would seriously reccomend it it will only add a half hour onto dis/re assembly and would preserve their condition during transport

Advertisement