Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teaching poetry

• 20-09-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Can anyone give me any creative ideas for teaching poetry?

I'm doing the PGDE this year, and while I'm really creative, I can't seem to think of cool ideas for teaching poetry!!

Please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

What years are you teaching? That will make a big difference to the kinds of creative things you can attempt :) I did my PGDE last year and only had juniors for english but brought props, drama activities etc into the poetry classes. Whilst it has to be covered, I don't think its a good idea to get overly bogged down in poetry terminology. Kids are so easily turned off by the word poetry you almost have to trick them into doing it! Show them a prop beforehand related to the theme of the poem and ask them what it makes them think of...give them the title of the poem and ask them what it might be about...give them the poem w/o the title and ask them to invent one in groups...or just situate the poem in a thematic unit with other types of text and use it to stimulate discussion or written responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

What years are you teaching? That will make a big difference to the kinds of creative things you can attempt :) I did my PGDE last year and only had juniors for english but brought props, drama activities etc into the poetry classes. Whilst it has to be covered, I don't think its a good idea to get overly bogged down in poetry terminology. Kids are so easily turned off by the word poetry you almost have to trick them into doing it! Show them a prop beforehand related to the theme of the poem and ask them what it makes them think of...give them the title of the poem and ask them what it might be about...give them the poem w/o the title and ask them to invent one in groups...or just situate the poem in a thematic unit with other types of text and use it to stimulate discussion or written responses.

Some good ideas there ... I like the one about leaving out the title.

I have 5th years for poetry though, so there are a lot of necessaries that have to be done!!

Advertisement