Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Shay Given have a claim

• 20-09-2009 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

for being the best keeper in the world atm?

Definetly imo, but absense of Champions League football goes against him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If he was so good, why was he waving the ball wide when it ended up in the net.

It takes a special type of player to try and play every International friendly in a bid to get as many caps as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He is one of the best. Its close between him and Reina imo for EPL's number 1.

Casillas is the worlds best without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

of course he has a claim, but so does Casillas and Buffon. Shay is up there and is actually amazingly consistent. The amount of top notch saves he makes on a regular basis is just unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

imo, no.

he's not even the best in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

To answer your question directly, Iker Casillas in my opinion is the best goalkeeper in the world. Shay is not far behind him.

If Shay Given had been playing Champions League football for the last 5 years, he would be seen as top 3 worldwide. Alas, do Real Madrid, Barca, Inter, AC, Bayern or Lyon fans even know who he is? Imo he is the best in the PL.

He is superb in every aspect of the art of goalkeeping, and not to mention one of the nicest, most humble men in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

zAbbo wrote: »

It takes a special type of player to try and play every International friendly in a bid to get as many caps as possible.

are you actually serious? Do you ever watch him play? If you're talking about today, there was no saving that header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given is great at the one-on-one close up and personal save.

mike65 wrote: »
    Given is great at the one-one-one close up and personal save.
    Point blank shots/headers and snap shots that squeeze in alot rarely do on Given, he is amazing at saving these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liam O wrote: »
    are you actually serious? Do you ever watch him play? If you're talking about today, there was no saving that header.

Serious on which part, the bit where he waved the ball wide and it went in today? or that he tries to play every friendly possible to get most caps for Ireland?

Of course I've seen him play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Advertisement

Serious on which part, the bit where he waved the ball wide and it went in today? or that he tries to play every friendly possible to get most caps for Ireland?

Whats wrong with wanting to play every game for your country? Not everything Keane says is gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Asuming your serious. That playing every friendly thing is the biggest load of **** ive ever heard.

Ireland have one of the best goalkeepers in the Europe as #1, after that, nothing. A mediocre collection of League1/Championship keepers. Shay Given plays every friendly so that we might have a chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Because it was initially going wide.

He certainly has a claim to be the best keeper in the world. He's the best keeper in the Premier League which is one of the top leagues in the world so why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Definately, he's certainly up with Reina as the best in the EPL and in around some of the best in the world. Like the OP said, the lack of CL football goes against him big time. Probably the best keeper never to win a major trophy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Given is a quality 'keeper, no doubt. But Buffon is back to full fitness after a year of niggling injuries, and is the best.

This from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    imo, no.

he's not even the best in the PL.

Al, take off those blinkers. Reina has shown himself up on numerous occassions by letting in howlers.

Given's only flaw imho is his distribution. He could do with working on that. But in terms of keeping the ball out of the net, he is second to none in the prem. Some of the saves he makes from corners are unreal, the difference between 1 pt and 3 pts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's the Julio Cesar of English football.
    nipplenuts wrote:
    Given is a quality 'keeper, no doubt. But Buffon is back to full fitness after a year of niggling injuries, and is the best.

Not even Gianluigi Buffon thinks that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hmm...why so bitter? Damned if he plays friendlies and damned if he doesn't eh? No pleasing the Keanites.

Shame given hasn't had a defence like Liverpool's over the years but I'd say Reina has to be classed slightly higher.

Given is class though. Top 5 in the World easy anyway.

We are a lucky nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I still wonder why a top 4 team didnt go for him

the likes of arsenal and utd needed a top keeper at the time(probably still do)
    so that gets you thinking,what's up with that ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Liam O wrote: »
    Fletcher's 1st header was most definitely saveable (not a real word). Given made the mistake there in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I was always a big Given fan and for me he is the best in the PL. His consistency is excellent and he has a fantastic knack for getting in the way and stopping shots with his face, head, chest, feet etc. One on ones, excellent. Crosses, strong for a man of 6'1. Kicking is exemplary.

As for why a top four team didnt go for him. Arse were broke and they can make do with a below average keeper. Chelsea dont need a keeper. Liverpool dont need a keeper. Fergie is obviously happy with his 3 keepers, one of which he believes is going to be a future Engerland number 1.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

kenon wrote: »
    I was always a big Given fan and for me he is the best in the PL. His consistency is excellent and he has a fantastic knack for getting in the way and stopping shots with his face, head, chest, feet etc. One on ones, excellent. Crosses, strong for a man of 6'1. Kicking is exemplary.

As for why a top four team didnt go for him. Arse were broke and they can make do with a below average keeper. Chelsea dont need a keeper. Liverpool dont need a keeper. Fergie is obviously happy with his 3 keepers, one of which he believes is going to be a future Engerland number 1.

Arsenal could easily have bought him if they wanted him, Arsene didn't want him for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

He's very, very good, certainly one of the best shot-stoppers in the world, but he's not at the level of a Buffon or a Casillas.

Given played excellently today, and I wouldn't fault him for the goal at all, but at one point the ball bounced in the six-yard box from a corner. This encapsulated for me the one possible flaw in his game, he needs to be a bit more commanding of his area, and especially his six-yard box.

Buffon remains the best for me, and he is the best there has been in the last twenty years imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Buffon actually had some very shaky moments against Bordeaux in the Champions League but nobody has been dissecting that performance and questioning his credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Headshot wrote: »
    I still wonder why a top 4 team didnt go for him

Newcastle had just finished 2nd in the league for the 2nd year running when he signed. They were a quality team back then and certainly top 4 in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id rate Given as 3rd best in the EPL behind Reina and Cech. Buffon, Cesar and Casillas better than him too IMO

8-10 wrote: »
    Newcastle had just finished 2nd in the league for the 2nd year running when he signed. They were a quality team back then and certainly top 4 in the country.
    I'm pretty sure he meant when he left Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

No.

He's very good but the best is clearly Casillas or Buffon. On current form it's Gigi, last two seasons it was Casillas. Then there's a host of other keepers who make a second teir of quality like Julio Cesar, Reina, Cech, Frey etc. He's in that bracket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Best keeper in the Premiership imo. Top 3 in the world.

• Advertisement

I'd personally have VDS above him.

Melion wrote: »
    Id rate Given as 3rd best in the EPL behind Reina and Cech. Buffon, Cesar and Casillas better than him too IMO
    Given is better than Cech.
    I'd personally have VDS above him.

Given > VDS all day everyday imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm pretty sure he meant when he left Newcastle.

Perhaps but it's not right to say that a big team never came in for him is all I meant. He was seen as a good buy for a team that narrowly missed out on the Premiership.

He's up there now with James, Reina, VDS and Cech...it's really on the day which of those 5 is best, not much between them as they've always been fantastic (Ok I realise James is pushing the boat slightly but I've always rated him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Given is definitely the best in the PL, up there in the top 3 or 4 in the world id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He's a good shot stopper but not near the best keeper in the world. there are two or three better keepers in the premiership.

CHD wrote: »
    Given is better than Cech.

I probably would have agreed with you last season because i thought Cech was finished. But he is starting to look like his old self again lately, he is starting to command his box and come for corners again which he hadnt done since the Hunt incident.

• Advertisement

I'm feeling the love for the auld "reliables", cech, james, VDS but remember that Friedel and jaaskelainen are excellent and deserve to be mentioned also.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

+1 for Jussi

Melion wrote: »
    I probably would have agreed with you last season because i thought Cech was finished. But he is starting to look like his old self again lately, he is starting to command his box and come for corners again which he hadnt done since the Hunt incident.
    Yes he has got the confidence back, but he isn't always pulling these saves off properly and is coming for crosses and changing his mind halfway still. He is young enough and still has it so could become the best still. Can't fault him after the injury though. Would effect anyone.

If people want to mention others then Schwarzer imo is the best of the rest i suppose you could call them. Sorensen does a good job alot too and Simonsen is a legend of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Given is the most reliable keeper in the league. Cech, VDS and Reina all make blunders much more frequently than Given. I would say Shay Given and Brad Friedel are the two best in the league, with VDS and Cech just behind. Pre injury Cech was the best whilst VDS has always been a steady option, but never quite the very best. Now that age is catching up on him, mistakes like the one against Liverpool last season are becoming more frequent.

I think Given's height is what has prevented Ferguson buying him. That has always been mentioned in relation to Given. But for me, Shay Given along with Essien and Torres are what would complete the United team.

On a world view, I think Buffon would be the only keeper capable of much better performances. however, Buffon generally saves them for the big occasions now as his body begins to fail him. I honestly would not swap Shay for any keeper in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

So what makes you think that he's the best keeper in the world? He's a very good keeper, excellent actually. One of the best in the EPL. But he's not the tallest and while he has great reflexes I think he's only soso with crosses and only soso dominating the box.

This kind of question pops up every now and again with all sorts of players.
    The problem I have with it that usually people asking those questions know nothing but the EPL and a bit of LaLiga (Sky). It's all they know and of course they're listening to them Sky lads going on and on about how 'their' EPL is the best league in the world bladibla and of course all the other EPL hype in the SUN etc.

I can name at least 2 if not 3 keepers in the Bundesliga who are def'ny in the same bracket as Given, but I wouldn't dream of raising such a question with either of those guys.

Edit: As it happens, from a German point of view the English league always had a reputation for not the best goalkeepers.

For me it's probably Buffon, not so sure about Casillas. Shay Given is probably top 10, but in Europe you couldn't possibly rate anyone who has never played a Champions League match in his life. For starters, why would you rate him better than van de Saar?

• Advertisement

realcam wrote: »
    For starters, why would you rate him better than van de Saar?

For a start he's not passed it. He's more consistent. Rarely makes mistakes. Kicking is better. One on ones is better.

VDS has declined in these areas over the past few years.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

For me it's probably Buffon, not so sure about Casillas. Shay Given is probably top 10, but in Europe you couldn't possibly rate anyone who has never played a Champions League match in his life. For starters, why would you rate him better than van de Saar?

Newcastle were in the Champions League a few seasons ago under Bobby Robson. I remember the season after the World Cup, he played against Inter and Barcelona. That was in the days where you had to go through two groups to make the knockouts.

I would rate him as better than Van der Saar because he does not make as many errors. VDS has become very error prone over the last 3 seasons. Think of the Liverpool game, the Champions League game against Roma where he slapped the ball out to Vucinic (a habit he got in a lot that season). Good as he was, he is not the best anymore. Having Vidic and co in front on him makes him seem better than he is. I

f Given was at United, he would be much better. He has the trait that the best keepers have, an ability to do nothing all game and then pull out a wonder save. Plus he is very secure, no major blunders costing points á la Barthez, Foster, Almunia and Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

It's hardly going to be an impartial thread on boards.IE but what can you do.

Given is a good keeper, he's not the best in the prem though, and he's far from the best in Europe.

He's a brilliant shot-stopper.

He makes hardly any blunders................. BUT that is is because he's stuck to his line. He's the least pro-active goalkeeper in the top level of goalkeepers. His command of the area is non-existant and his organisation of his defence is lack-lustre. His distrubution is poor.

The likes of Reina, VDS and Cech look like they make more blunders (well technically they do) because they attack the ball coming into the box. While this sometimes makes them look silly, a far far far greater percentage of the time they win the ball, whereas Shay is picking it out of the net blaming his defence.

Shay Given is probably top 10, but in Europe you couldn't possibly rate anyone who has never played a Champions League match in his life.

What difference does the champions league make? Harder shots? More shots? Bendier shots?!

The man was behind some rotten Newcastle defenses for a couple of years. Standing behind Boumsong. Given used to get pelted out of it for the whole match. I remember the 5-1 hiding that Liverpool gave newcastle last year, Given was outstanding. Even Gerrard commented on how good he was...in a 5-1 hidin!

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

podge018 wrote: »
    His distrubution is poor.

Wrong.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

yeah he was good that day, at stopping shots while stuck to his line.

kenon wrote: »
    What difference does the champions league make? Harder shots? More shots? Bendier shots?!

The man was behind some rotten Newcastle defenses for a couple of years. Standing behind Boumsong. Given used to get pelted out of it for the whole match. I remember the 5-1 hiding that Liverpool gave newcastle last year, Given was outstanding. Even Gerrard commented on how good he was...in a 5-1 hidin!
    Eh, in the Champions League your playing against Europes elite. There's your difference.

CHD wrote: »
    Eh, in the Champions League your playing against Europes elite. There's your difference.
    But what does that change? Different shots? Smarter players?

He's an international goalkeeper. I understand that the champions league is the "elite" league but I just dont see what changes for a goalkeeper who is experienced in the Premier League and international level.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

podge018 wrote: »
    It's hardly going to be an impartial thread on boards.IE but what can you do.

Given is a good keeper, he's not the best in the prem though, and he's far from the best in Europe.

He's a brilliant shot-stopper.

He makes hardly any blunders................. BUT that is is because he's stuck to his line. He's the least pro-active goalkeeper in the top level of goalkeepers. His command of the area is non-existant and his organisation of his defence is lack-lustre. His distrubution is poor.

The likes of Reina, VDS and Cech look like they make more blunders (well technically they do) because they attack the ball coming into the box. While this sometimes makes them look silly, a far far far greater percentage of the time they win the ball, whereas Shay is picking it out of the net blaming his defence.

I'm aware of that but the above all make basic handling errors too. Given is better than the other keepers in the Premier League and in European terms, there are not much better. Buffon yes, Casillas perhaps.

Given could have the organisational skills of Alexander the Great but when he had Bramble and Boumsong in front of him, there wasn't much he could do. The organisational skills on Cech for example would be called into question for the amount of times he has been caught out at free kicks recently. The Liverpool game in the Champions League being a good example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

My original question stands however. How can you rate someone as 'the best in the world' if he doesn't have the complete package? While being an excellent shotstopper he's not great with crosses and his commandment of the box isn't great either. Like another poster said he's glued to the line, can't deny that. Also I think the best goalie in the world does things like excellent break opening throws.

• Advertisement
Advertisement