Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows cannot locate file Maxtor 1T Ex

• 20-09-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Help :(

Have a maxtor 1T external, about 1 year old, 860G movies,music,photos etc ... All was going fine until last couple of days i have been getting ' Windows cannot locate file error'.

Now it will only play music in one of the smaller folders but none from the larger one, It will not play any movies at all.

Ive done a check disk and upgraded to windows media 11, wont play from Nero,tried to import to windows media too,cant copy off it either but still able to copy photos onto it.

Head is wrecked am i about to loose everything???

Is there anything i can do :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Try and Defrag it.

You should find it if you click on the start button -> Accessories -> System Tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CharlieBrown

Thanks mate.

Tried it a couple of times now and it just keeps freezing on phase 4.

Ran AVG through one of the folders im having problems with and seems to be fine.

In gave it to a friend and it turns out i cant play/copy any of the folders he was in - may have got somthing off him.

Is it possible that his pc could have taked admin rights on the particular folders - Google reckons its a premissions problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

1. Click Start, and then Run.
    2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    3. Use one of the following procedures:
      • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
      • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message: Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
        Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
      • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message: Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
        Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

If this is the big black Maxtor basics 1tb I recommend not using it until you have something else to back your data up to. Myself and a friend got one each from PC world 7-8 months back for around €120

Mine's dead as a doornail and his is on the way out.

I never mistreated the drive

there are programs that can attempt to (temporarily) restore the drive to a working state if it is refusing to cooperate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CharlieBrown

Yea thats the one mate, also got mine from PC world around 8 months ago.

Thanks for the heads up and i'll have to get meself a new one, thought the maxtor were good , had a 200g one in a silver metal case for 4 years without a problem.

Can anyone reccomend a good external?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I specialize in data recovery and have seen dozens of these maxtor drives over the last few months. If you're going to try to salvage data from the HD it's important that you do as little with, or to, the drive as possible, and of course you will need a new drive with at least the capacity of the data you wish to recover.

Advertisement