Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCL anyone ever use?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Was thinking of building a new machine but not too confident of the board and processor bit, been 5 years since my last build. So was thinking of using CCL who have packages of box + MB+ Processor and ram, just put in your own HDD and other stuff and OS (which I own XP), just curious has anyone ever used them and how much was shipping to IRL?Or anywhere else that does the same kind of building?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why don't you just tell us what you want to do with the new build and what budget you can put toward it? Then we can all stick our oars in too :)

Unless the kit is very new and very discounted the dreaded "upgrade kit" is usually just a craptrap for less aware buyers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

cool thanks, was thinking of intel 8400, quad core or something similar, nothing too fancy on the graphics front as used for everything but gaming, large HDD, 2Gb RAM, will be running XP on it as own a copy and hated vista. Was thinking of this http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=30804&category_id=491&manufacturer_id=0&tid=
    as the nervous work is already done and only to add in the hdd and GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Looking at it there and it's really not the worst deal ever, but it's still not good!

They're putting pretty crap components into a nice looking expensive case. Don't go for this you can do better.

It'd be really good if you could tell us exactly what you'll be doing on this pc so the right components can be put together for you...

Also i think you forgot that the bundle lacked a psu :?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also, while Vista sucked Win7 should be far better than XP. What are you doing with this machine aside from gaming (you already said you weren't)?

thanks effluo, never realised the pack didn't have a psu!!
    Well basically I want a machine for streaming media, torrents, photoshop, and then general surfing etc. Nothing too heavy on graphics but I love multitasking so you could have downloading going on with streaming vid, music playing and photos on the go. Mostly though, i want it to be quiet as my current pentium4 is a noisy fan bugger.
    I do want soemthing like an optical out.
    Mostly also, I want to play with setting up a machine again.
    I get XP free from work as part of the licence and we are entitled to every new realise of windows and office for me and family so will look forward to windows 7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're using photoshop- you'd really be better off maxing out on RAM and you can get better results with a fast Core-2-Duo than with a quad core (unless you've shelled out for a full licence that supports multithreading)..... You're not using anything else that will benefit from a quadcore CPU anyhow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

you could also check out the upgrade bundles at www.komplett.ie

Something like this is pretty good value for money:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=407562

Kit includes:

Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 2,33GHz, Socket 775, 4MB, 1333MHz, Boxed w/Fan
    Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, G41, Socket-775 m-ATX, VGA, GbLAN, DDR2, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16
    Crucial DDR2 BallistiX TRACER PC6400 2GB CL4 ,2.0V, 240pin, 800mhz, LED`s
    Antistatic Wrist band including ground cord

And if you want to spend more to get something even faster you can get them aswell

after hearing what ye are saying and looking at my current machine, think i will just upgrade my current spec i.e add in 1Gb RAM into the 512 already there (forgot how small it is!), throw in an extra HDD and also reformat, restuck on the processor too as goo has hardened up. Thanks for saving me money!
    One thing, my current pc has an abit is7 MB which takes SATA HDD. I see all the specs now say SATA-300 etc, will they all connect ok with my MB?

well lads, got a 1tb drive, 1gb ram and reapplied the heat goo between heatsink and processor and then reintalled the whole thing, working a dream now so thanks lads, as saved a fortune for nothing. REalised with task manager that most of my 512 ram was being used by av and Firewall, crazy really so no wonder it was slow. Now can play my train simulator again (I know, don't ask)

Advertisement