Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamarcus Russel

• 20-09-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Ive just noticed on NFL.com that Russel is currently 3 of 17 against the chiefs :eek:. (DOnt have a stream for the game) How is this guy still starting in oakland? SUrely we will have to cut our losses sooner rather than later and draft another QB. I was all for giving him chances and chances but he has not shown that he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. Maybe Tebow to OAK next year? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ive just noticed on NFL.com that Russel is currently 3 of 17 against the chiefs :eek:. (DOnt have a stream for the game) How is this guy still starting in oakland? SUrely we will have to cut our losses sooner rather than later and draft another QB. I was all for giving him chances and chances but he has not shown that he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. Maybe Tebow to OAK next year? :p

Watching it he is getting no protection and his WR are looking sh1t and he just looks rattled in general. Deer in headlights comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Came through when it mattered but it was a very poor game from him. He's still very young on a team with no WR's and a shakey right side Oline so I wouldn't be calling him a bust yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Came through when it mattered but it was a very poor game from him. He's still very young on a team with no WR's and a shakey right side Oline so I wouldn't be calling him a bust yet.

Yeah, he may yet come good. Or he may be Alex Smith Mack II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OK he is young but boy is he pure ****e right now. Even when he has protection he cannot make the easy throw. How this guy was a no. 1 pick is beyond comprehension....... Oh wait, Al Davis picked him that's right!.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leslie91 wrote: »
    OK he is young but boy is he pure ****e right now. Even when he has protection he cannot make the easy throw. How this guy was a no. 1 pick is beyond comprehension....... Oh wait, Al Davis picked him that's right!.

Meh, to be fair I think Russell was always going to go high in that draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, to be fair I think Russell was always going to go high in that draft.

Exactly.

I think he has the attributes to make a good QB but as a team we're just horribly set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Leslie91 wrote: »

Rusell was rated a top 10 pick before that draft so yes it was Al's drafting, but if they hadnt taken him, some other team would have taken him high in the first round.

I think if we had a decent QB we could go 8-8 at least this year. Great running backs, Seymour and Asomugha are All-Pro on defense. Pity we've got the black Ryan Leaf at QB :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

How many seasons do you get before they call you a bust? Trading for Seymour was a good move, but Derek Anderson or Sage Rosenfels might have been better targets this offseason for the Raiders.

Having no receivers doesn't help, but it's not like Mark Sanchez is pitching it to the best in the business and he's doing ok.

Karlusss wrote: »
    How many seasons do you get before they call you a bust? Trading for Seymour was a good move, but Derek Anderson or Sage Rosenfels might have been better targets this offseason for the Raiders.

Having no receivers doesn't help, but it's not like Mark Sanchez is pitching it to the best in the business and he's doing ok.

He isn't pitching to two rookies though, that's a huge difference. As I said JR has been very disappointing so far this season but I certainly don;t think he's a lost cause. Look at Michael Huff, he's been very poor up until this year and would of been labelled a bust and rightly so but has been excellent in the 2 games so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

Frisbee wrote: »
    I think he has the attributes to make a good QB
    Except he can't pass...

• Advertisement

Except he can't pass...
    No no, he can pass. But not accurately. He can throw it long though. Remind you of a certain former Atlanta Falcons QB without the elusiveness and ground game? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

how long does he get until we look at moving on? he has been in the league 3 years and hasnt shown much promise at all. He misses open targets can't move the ball. He got a monster contract and so far has yet to show he is worth it. Chaz Schillens will be back soon and then its time to put up or shut up, he also has zach miller to hit who is one of the leagues most under rated tight ends. And louis murphy has looked soilid so far this season, so i dont agree that he has NO receievers to hit there is talent there, he just can't get them the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Watching it he is getting no protection and his WR are looking sh1t and he just looks rattled in general. Deer in headlights comes to mind.

And yet they still beat us :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The Raiders seem to show some promise this year, I'm not sayiny they'll make the playoffs but they will do better then last season I think there Offence is starting to improve the could win a few games this year and not finish bottom of there group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The problem is the coaching, there was no doubt Russell was going as a high pick in the draft. He came out after three years though so he needed lots of work, work Kiffin probably would have done a lot better than the current coaching staff.

jdivision wrote: »
    Kiffin probably would have done a lot better than the current coaching staff.

except kiffin didn't want to be there and showed no passion for the silver and black. at least cable and the new staff show some desire and passion for the team and have us fighting again.

F**k kiffin.

except kiffin didn't want to be there and showed no passion for the silver and black. at least cable and the new staff show some desire and passion for the team and have us fighting again.

F**k kiffin.

What are you kidding me? How could he show passion towards an organisation who didnt want him from Day 1?

Al Davis hired a guy with not enough experience to be in the NFL and from Day 1 fell out with him because he realised "oh sh1t this kid wont win anything for us". Davis is the type of owner its his way or the highway and will hold a gun to any new coaches head until they kiss his ass. Kiffen was young and naive and not about to kiss Al Davis a$$. Ask yourself why no decent NFL coach or College coach wants the job? Because they are on a tight rope from day 1 trying to fix the failure Davis created. And no coach wants a failure hanging over him straight away especially when the owner is the fault and cause of it. You hire sh1t you get sh1t. Lane Kiffen will most likely go and be a decent college coach. But seriously did anyone expect him to do well with very little experience with a team who need a miracle fix?

Its funny for you to say because he didnt like the Raiders or have the passion for it. Can you blame him when the owner doesnt like you from day 1.

What are you kidding me? How could he show passion towards an organisation who didnt want him from Day 1?

If thats the case then why would he bother taking the job?

look at what cable has done already since he took over, he has us looking like we are making progress, the players want to play for him and are finally playing with some fight and passion, all of which was absent under Kiffin.

If thats the case then why would he bother taking the job?

Its called a 4 million dollar contract and a chance to coach in the NFL. He had already signed the contract when he ran into obstacles with Al Davis
    look at what cable has done already since he took over, he has us looking like we are making progress, the players want to play for him and are finally playing with some fight and passion, all of which was absent under Kiffin.

Cable is an a$$hole and hence why he fits the Raiders mould. He kisses Davis ass and sadly will never make any other team other than the Raiders becuase he buys into a system he probably really doesnt believe in but does it becuase he is now a head coach in the NFL and makes a ton of money.

As for players respecting him, of course they would they want to play football after all that is what they are paid for. In a couple of players did speak out about Kiffen and said they were sad to see him go and Kiffen took one of the coaches assistants with him also and if you google that you will see the integrity of Cable.

Simple fact you either buy into Al Davis ass kissing system or you say bye bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

he has us looking like we are making progress.
    The QB has regressed under his watch. The team do want to play for him, more than they did for Kiffin, it's true. But Davis goes through so many coaches, coordinators and keeps his spies that the Raiders are dysfunctional. Cable has improved certain things, but that could be as much due to improved personnel through drafts and trades rather than improved coaching as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In fairness it would be interesting to see Russell behind an OL that he could believe in and trust to protect him. I think he has all the tools and will make it, whether that is with the Raiders is another question. I just feel like that if he had protection, it only takes a few throws to get your confidence soaring.

Cable is an a$$hole and hence why he fits the Raiders mould. He kisses Davis ass and sadly will never make any other team other than the Raiders becuase he buys into a system he probably really doesnt believe in but does it becuase he is now a head coach in the NFL and makes a ton of money.

As for players respecting him, of course they would they want to play football after all that is what they are paid for. In a couple of players did speak out about Kiffen and said they were sad to see him go and Kiffen took one of the coaches assistants with him also and if you google that you will see the integrity of Cable.

Intergity of Cable? What do a google to find out why he's an asshole?

eagle eye wrote: »
    In fairness it would be interesting to see Russell behind an OL that he could believe in and trust to protect him. I think he has all the tools and will make it, whether that is with the Raiders is another question. I just feel like that if he had protection, it only takes a few throws to get your confidence soaring.

He has a good OL, not the best but hugely improved from last year and anything we've had the past 6 or so years. Mario henderson has been excellent at LT. Given up zero sacks this year and last season when he faced some tough teams in Texans, Pats and TB he more then coped with it. Gallaery at LG is easily one of the better guards in the league. C John morris has stepped up from nowhere and done very well so far. We're not great on the right side but RT Cornell Green's biggest problem is with penalties and rather getting beaten and giving up sacks.

Intergity of Cable? What do a google to find out why he's an asshole? .

For those who dont remember the whole fiasco all you have to do is google it and read up on the Kiffen/Cable arguments. When Kiffen left he took one of Cables assistants with him to Tennessee. This didn't go down well with Cable at all. There are many articles out there on it. I read it a year ago when it happened. The stupid thing is Cable didnt need to get involved in the whole thing and shouldnt have gotton involved in the whole thing and by liking Davis's ass he did get involved. He sums up the Raiders organisation.

For those who dont remember the whole fiasco all you have to do is google it and read up on the Kiffen/Cable arguments. When Kiffen left he took one of Cables assistants with him to Tennessee. This didn't go down well with Cable at all. There are many articles out there on it. I read it a year ago when it happened. The stupid thing is Cable didnt need to get involved in the whole thing and shouldnt have gotton involved in the whole thing and by liking Davis's ass he did get involved. He sums up the Raiders organisation.

I know about that, I just presumed there must be something else for you to be able to call him an asshole who lacks interity. I certainly find the integrity part pretty hilarious. This is what he said after the OL coach who upped and left in the middle of December when the season isn't even over. Was it that difficult to stick it out for another few games and show a bit of respect to the players he coached? Cable didn't need to get involved? So you're telling me if one of Bellichecks position coaches just up and left during the season he wouldn't have any right to comment on it?
    "I'm pissed. That's the best way to put it," Cable said. "Quite frankly, that's the only way I can put it.""It goes without saying how extremely disappointed I am, and that decision and what it entails, and the way it was made," Cable said. "I'm all about loyalty and doing whatever it takes, no matter what the situation is. "He made a choice to move on. He's taking a position with the former head coach here. It is ridiculous, to be quite honest with you, given an extraordinary opportunity to really take over and be the line coach, and at this point he chose to go another route."

You've got to understand offensive linemen. This is our world. If I can speak freely here, it's about pride, it's about commitment, it's about trusting everybody next to you. So, to walk your ass out of here is about as bad a deal as you could possibly do to that group of guys."

If you want to talk about integrity of lack of it, look no further then Lane Kiffin. Who made a pratt of himself a number of times already while HC of the Vols. Coming out and accusing the Urban Meyhr of breaking college recruiting rules while Lane was doing it himself, but then had to make a public apology because he lied about it.

Not to mention his other incidents

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/02/07/pahokee_chamber_of_commerce_de.html

Kiffin commits third recruiting violation
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3906361

Oozes class doesn't he?
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29618431/

I know about that, I just presumed there must be something else for you to be able to call him an asshole who lacks interity. I certainly find the integrity part pretty hilarious. This is what he said after the OL coach who upped and left in the middle of December when the season isn't even over. Was it that difficult to stick it out for another few games and show a bit of respect to the players he coached? Cable didn't need to get involved? So you're telling me if one of Bellichecks position coaches just up and left during the season he wouldn't have any right to comment on it?

If you want to talk about integrity of lack of it, look no further then Lane Kiffin. Who made a pratt of himself a number of times already while HC of the Vols. Coming out and accusing the Urban Meyhr of breaking college recruiting rules while Lane was doing it himself, but then had to make a public apology because he lied about it.

Not to mention his other incidents

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/02/07/pahokee_chamber_of_commerce_de.html

Kiffin commits third recruiting violation
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3906361

Oozes class doesn't he?
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29618431/

I dont care about the integrity of Lane Kiffen. He could be the biggest pr1ck on the planet but not once was I defending Kiffin. Nor do I care about him. But Cable is the spawn of what the Raiders stand for and that is fair enough at least they have a coach who believes in their ways. Not unknown to contraversy either as he was involved in the alleged bust up also of a defensive assistant altough it was never proven there were many various sources who said it happened.

As for coaches leaving the piece you posted was a smaller version of the conversation i read awhile back and he said alot more than that small bit. And even in your piece some of what he says is childish. As in oh how dare he leave us for what I see is a lesser role with a guy i dont like type thing. Sure BB most likely would say something if coaches left but hasnt he let coaches leave without word over the last few years so hardly a comparison.

I dont care about the integrity of Lane Kiffen. He could be the biggest pr1ck on the planet but not once was I defending Kiffin. Nor do I care about him. But Cable is the spawn of what the Raiders stand for and that is fair enough at least they have a coach who believes in their ways. Not unknown to contraversy either as he was involved in the alleged bust up also of a defensive assistant altough it was never proven there were many various sources who said it happened.

As for coaches leaving the piece you posted was a smaller version of the conversation i read awhile back and he said alot more than that small bit. And even in your piece some of what he says is childish. As in oh how dare he leave us for what I see is a lesser role with a guy i dont like type thing. Sure BB most likely would say something if coaches left but hasnt he let coaches leave without word over the last few years so hardly a comparison.

Yes, an alleged bust up which never went anywhere and sources like Adam Schefter said he never struck him and the complete lack of police charge says it all. Also, who was the last coach to leave NE during the season?

I just watched the game against the broncos and it was another horror show. 12/21 for 61 yards 0 TD's and 2 INTs (both in the first quarter) he continues to leave or defence in near impossible situations and he is holding back the team. He is a bust and we need to look at other options for the future because OffTheMarcus Russell certainly isn't it.

Shocking perfomance last night by Jamarcus "Ryan Leaf" Russel as mentioned above. This week the run game and the defense didnt mask his lack of ability as it did last week. WE NEED A COMPETENT QB!! Doesnt have to be a Tom Brady or Drew Brees, a game manager like Kerry Collins would be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

anaother donkey performance from russell.

Seriously I could put up better numbers than him and I cant even thrown a proper fing spiral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Quite a funny quote from the analysist on five's NFL coverage. Something along the lines of "An even worse game from JaMarcus Russel this week, if he keeps this up he'll throw for negative yardage next week"

Probably not funny if your a raiders fan, however I said before the season that I expected Jeff Garcia to get more playing time for the Raiders than JMR, obviously he wont now that they released him, but I bet they wish they didn't now!

Advertisement