Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamarcus Russel

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Let me ask Raiders fans this. Im not a big fan of Russell but ask yourself this:

Do you think right now bringing in another QB is your answer? Seriously?..........................

Raiders fans seem to want a quick fix right now and sadly i dont think a quick fix is the answer. Maybe im wrong. But it is my opinion.

I'd love a quick fix, but Russell isn't the answer for many of the reasons mentioned by other posters here. I don't see them drafting another QB in the first round, so I think they should try a higher percentage approach, look at the Vikings and Giants, these teams could maybe win even with Russell as their QB because they have great Offensive and Defensive lines and with these areas set, its much easier to find the pieces to build dominating defences/offences. With a powerful offensive line, you only need your QB not to lose the game, as you can pound the ball and only ask your QB to complete high % passes, while a dominant defensive line means running backs get tackled in the backfield and opposing QBs get sacked and hurried without the need to blitz, so you've less need for top cover cornerbacks. I think the Raiders need a solid experienced QB for the next few years, while they draft heavily on their two lines. It wouldn't be the high octane way to go, but trying to draft a stud QB and RB doesn't seem to have worked either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

davyjose wrote: »
    I think that we're looking at the best bunch of college QB's in a long, long time. Whether they'll be as good in the nfl as those three remains to be seen. They've set high standards. But in terms of their college careers, they ain't as good as 2009 IMO

True but a good college qb doenst make a good NFL qb by default. And a QB that wasnt successful or playing for a big school in college isnt definatly going to fail in the NFL

Look at Matt Cassell never started a game in college ever hes done pretty well.

Flacco didnt even get a scholarship offer in any of the Div 1A schools at all. Hes been pretty good

Big Ben didnt play at a BCS school

etc etc

Being good and playing for a top college program means nothing when it comes to the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

heyjude wrote: »
    With a powerful offensive line, you only need your QB not to lose the game, as you can pound the ball and only ask your QB to complete high % passes

That only gets you so far though. The Vikings have had a dominant run game for several seasons but they've still been falling all over themselves to get a quarterback who can either get the 8th guy out of the box or punish them for keeping him in.

The Cowboys have one of the best run-games in the league, three different guys who can put up 100 yards if they need to, and they didn't make the playoffs last year. And their quarterback is a lot better than JaMarcus.

With the Raiders though, I agree, a quarterback immediately isn't the answer. Not quite sure what the answer is.The Rams suck, but at least you can see where they're going, as of last season. With the Raiders, it's way too haphazard to guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

heyjude wrote: »
    I'd love a quick fix, but Russell isn't the answer for many of the reasons mentioned by other posters here. I don't see them drafting another QB in the first round, so I think they should try a higher percentage approach, look at the Vikings and Giants, these teams could maybe win even with Russell as their QB because they have great Offensive and Defensive lines and with these areas set, its much easier to find the pieces to build dominating defences/offences. With a powerful offensive line, you only need your QB not to lose the game, as you can pound the ball and only ask your QB to complete high % passes, while a dominant defensive line means running backs get tackled in the backfield and opposing QBs get sacked and hurried without the need to blitz, so you've less need for top cover cornerbacks. I think the Raiders need a solid experienced QB for the next few years, while they draft heavily on their two lines. It wouldn't be the high octane way to go, but trying to draft a stud QB and RB doesn't seem to have worked either.

See this is what I was looking for someone who sees direction rather than a quick fix because lets be honest there isnt one.

But the problem in the solution do you not think is Al Davis? For me I feel the Raiders will never go down the road of using an Experienced QB and drafting high end linemen both Offensive and Defensive to fix the hole. Right now you have competent running backs, linebackers and secondary and in fact the WR if given the right direction have the ability. But all of this needs protection from a young solidly built oline taken in the drafts rather than taking the common Al Davis choice athletes year after year.

But building stability and protection I feel is smeared by Al Davis who will most likely continue to interfere and draft the athlete type WR and QB's and ignore Linemen as usual in the top grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

4/8 42yards in 1st half against Giants.

At least his completion rate is up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Trampas wrote: »
    4/8 42yards in 1st half against Giants.

At least his completion rate is up :rolleyes:

Dont forget his 3 fumbles :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

I think Charles Barkley sums it up right.

turrable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

fatguyjk4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I see he's now admitted he was fined for being overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The fact that there's information being leaked about him not showing up for practice and being fined for being overweight is really not helping people who are trying to defend him somehow. Including myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement