Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding extra Speakers question(s)

• 20-09-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey all. VW Golf with standard generic Blaupunkt 4x35w radio. I recently replaced one of the dashboard speakers when it went faulty and it was very straight forward so I thought I might as well add some door speakers while I'm at it. Got given a pair of 90w 4ohm coaxial speakers as present and thought it'd be same easy install but got no sound from them when I hooked them up. Am I missing something? What else do you need? What would be the right wattage? The wiring is there in the door and I've got the right connection leads...

Thanks in advance.

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are there any other speakers in the rear of the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gary Don

Nope, it's an estate. I should mention, I took out the HU and looked to see what connections were hooked up. There was one black connector, one brown one and then one space free, for another black one I guess...

here's a standard ISO loom, (bottom 2 plugs)
    ISO1-1.gif

check the 2 plugs going to the car's wiring loom (not the plugs in the back of the stereo) and figure out which is which.

Check exactly which speakers are which by adjusting the balance and fader settings to see which ones are actually connected.

Cool thanks, will do :)

So I hooked all 4 of the speakers up. Fader goes from +9 (front) to -9 (back) No sound whatsoever when I fade to -9. I took one of the dash speakers and hooked it up to the door speaker wire and no sound from it either. Surely they would have had it set up properly in the factory...

Might just pop into a shop and politely ask them to figure it out for me & save any more headaches. Thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

Are there any wires cut or taped behind the radio?

All I can see coming out of the radio is the antenna, a brown connector lead and a black connector lead. Both of which then disapper into the left hand side of the car into the loom I guess. Tried tugging gently on wires hooked up in the speaker hole in the door and there was no give, similarly the two leads at the back on the radio. The ISO seemed fully conected as well, not taped up or disconnected. There's nothing in the top mini-ISO if that's any use?

Thanks agin for your help Colm, would love to solve it without spending cash :)

Gary

post a pic of the back of the stereo and the loom?

So I brought the car in to see a car audio guy. We found that the speaker leads that are in the side front doors only travel as far as the end of the door (about 2 feet) They don't connect at the body of the car or go back up into the loom.

So I need a cable that fits the connection below. I was told it's not a standard connection. Coould anyone recommend somewhere to get one? A breakers yard?

DSC00074.JPG

DSC00075.JPG

DSC00076.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

hey there gary usually when faced with this problem the easiest thing to do is put both halves of this plug together and pass another pair of wires through the empty holes to run to the new speakers
    alternitavley you could spend a while in the local scrappy trying to find and remove them from another golf just be care ful when removing them as they are quite fragile
    and also be careful with the air pipe which also passes through this loom dont damage it or twist it too much as it works your central locking and any bit of a leak there will result in no central locking and probably dead batteries as the compressor tries to keep the pressure in the system
    J(Auto Electrical Concepts)

• Advertisement

Thanks J, that's actually got me thinking. I have a problem with my boot locking (via central locking) When the audio guy opened up the casing from those pictures the tube did look a bit twisted to be honest. Thanks for the heads up.

Would anyone be interested in a nixer to help out with this? Haven't a breeze about this stuff any would happily pay for the service.

Gary

Advertisement