Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo : ODST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

So I got the game too, compleated it in less than 4 hours on herioc(4 co-op)
    Have to say I enjoyed it much better than the orgional one, but to say now it was quite easy on herioc to be honest..
    Did the firefight on my own, because theres no match making..
    it seems very hard to try and get 200k on any map for the achievements so i think I'll be leavin that, slapped in the other cd I did. and its just the same old normal halo multiplayer.
    Went back last night to do a few of the small 5g achievements.. so I think I'll be trading it in next week too, I don't think legonary is worth the 100g

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I only got a quick go on it the last day, I did 3 of the flash backs, only playing solo on Heroic, its not too tough, but I like it, its pretty good, enjoying it more than Halo 3.

Hopefully get back on this evening, and finish the campaign if its as short as you guys are saying.

Will be up for Co-op for Legendary...

And giving the firefight levels a good go too...So add me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Feel free to add me for some firefight: P1992. Unfortunately it's my brother's account tied to the xbox live, don't let the adolescent profile put you off. The shoddy gameplay will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Thats very weird. I don't have any problems playing online in other games and I was playing multiplayer with BurningEclipse last night and there was zero lag.

Any ideas why firefight lags and multiplayer doesnt?

I'd say it was your connection man.
    I couldn't really hear what you were saying some of the time when you were playing with myself and Burning Eclipse. Voice was very choppy and broken.
    The lag in the normal multiplayer wasn't there though, so it looks like that can handle a 'weaker' connection a lot better than FireFight.

Possibly just a bad night connection wise.

• A word of warning: Manually save your game by save and quit in the menu. I did'nt yesterday. So the only way i could get to the level i was on was in the campaign menu by manually replaying the level. When the level was complete it went back to city streets and now it's making me do all the other levels again. Grrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Yes that happened to me!!! Lost two hours of play cus of that. Sorry i havent read the whole tread but is anyone finding firefight really Laggy?? I only got one lag free game yesterday!! And it was with people from Canada so I dont think it was connectivity issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup, happened to me too. Very annoying! I had just started the beach mission with Dutch and it sent me back to the hunter fight with Buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Wow,Short game.Multiplayer beter make it worth the money otherwise i shoulda just rented this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

samacora wrote: »
    wow at least try and make intelligent remarks when ur tryin to make someone look foolish. except for the setting they are two different games? u play a dif character with completely dif abilitys and thus play the game a different way? u cant be a hero and just jump into the middle of the fight anymore? infact the only thing thats the same in gameplay between both is that the bullets still go where u aim the reticule

lol if you can't see that the game play is almost exactly the same in both games, don't blame me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Looking for people to play firefight.Gamer tag below

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Everyone should stop complaining about the game's length. It's an expansion pack and was priced appropriately. Bungie have stated since it's not a full length title, they're not releasing any DLC for it.

I got it for €45 out of GameStop, and it comes with the campaign, the amazingly fun Firefight mode, and the shipped maps that came with Halo 3 along with every other map they've released as DLC along with 3 exclusives, which is the complete Halo 3 multiplayer experience.

If you really want to increase the length of your game, jump into Legendary by yourself and turn on the different skulls to make it even harder. If you're still going to bitch though, bring it to GameStop and get €30 on a trade-in so the rest of us can get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Poor, poor Sony, all their efforts and they produce the fun but vacuous Killzone 2, a game that comes across as a reheat of Black, Microsoft and Bungie bring out FPS gold again and again, and this release had a fraction of the dev time of the previous games.
    Looks like the 360 has cemented it's place as the FPS console of choice.

Oh spare me.

There's always one isn't there...

Is it childish insecurity or why does someone have insist on slagging off the other console?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I aint hating on Bungie its Microsoft! It should not cost more then 30 euro IMO. I downloaded all those maps when they came out and paid good money for em! Why do I have to pay for them again? They should have released ODST on retail and as a digital download with the campaign and firefight alone that would have pleased everyone, instead I get a short campaign, a great game mode that has zero matchmaking ability and 3 multiplayer maps. Its not a complete experience. The campaign is great I prefer it to Halo3! but its MSOFT trying to hide a poor winter line up that pisses me off. Still having problems getting a lag free game in Fire Fight multiplayer is lag free with 16 players??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I spent €80 on this game and it represents fantastic value to me. I got the edition with the controller which I really like and it brings my control pad total to 4

halo-odst-controller.jpg

So if the game is €45 that is €35 for the pad... not a bad price.

While I enjoyed Halo 3 I never once bought a map pack for it, so this is another area where the game shines, as I'm now getting all the MP maps on one handy disk.

Firefight is great fun, even though I haven't played it much.

Campaign is short, but rewards multiple playthroughs on difficulties and with co-op friends!

So, overall, while there are people saying how poor value this release is, there is the flip-side of the coin, to whom the game represents good value; me.

Firefight needs matchmaking, I will say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Picked this up last night.

Pros:

1. It's more Halo!

Cons:

1. Playing on normal I've been EATING through it. I had just completed Halo 3 solo on Legendary so ODST is a walk in the park at Normal difficulty compared to that. I reckon I'm about halfway.

2. Levels are too short. Each 'level' seems to be one or two big battles and then its over. Much more loading that the previous game.

3. The flashback style gameplay just doesn't work. The flow is too dis-jointed. I actually have no idea what is going on in the story, I'm just killing every bad guy.

4. The jury is out on the open style city layout. I feel like I'm back-tracking a lot.

5. Access doors that allow you to flank the enemy are great but why are there so few of them? It seems very few of the 'doors' on the map actually open, very frustrating.

6. Price. €45 is a bit steep for what you get.

7. Health packs. Why? The re-generating health feature worked well. From time to time now i find myself tracking way back through the level to locate a health pack before returning to the fight, ruining the pace of a battle.

Overall i'm enjoying it but it'll be short and sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

quarryman wrote: »
    Picked this up last night.

Pros:

1. It's more Halo!

Cons:

1. Playing on normal I've been EATING through it. I had just completed Halo 3 solo on Legendary so ODST is a walk in the park at Normal difficulty compared to that. I reckon I'm about halfway.

2. Levels are too short. Each 'level' seems to be one or two big battles and then its over. Much more loading that the previous game.

3. The flashback style gameplay just doesn't work. The flow is too dis-jointed. I actually have no idea what is going on in the story, I'm just killing every bad guy.

4. The jury is out on the open style city layout. I feel like I'm back-tracking a lot.

5. Access doors that allow you to flank the enemy are great but why are there so few of them? It seems very few of the 'doors' on the map actually open, very frustrating.

7. Health packs. Why? The re-generating health feature worked well. From time to time now i find myself tracking way back through the level to locate a health pack before returning to the fight, ruining the pace of a battle.

Overall i'm enjoying it but it'll be short and sweet!

Yep yep yep. Totally agree.

Graphics very dated, gameplay doesn't work as well with the health packs. The age of the formula is showing and creakign IMHO.

I find there is an UMMMPH factor missing. The guns are too plastickey and PEW PEW PEW and there's no visceral thrill for me. VERY disappointed with this so far, but may get better (been ages since I've played Halo games).

OT: Loving WET even though I know it's pants, LOVING it!

It says in the game while you're actually selecting the difficulty that playing it on easy basically 'plays itself', and normal isn't far off it. Length of the game can't be criticized to a great extent if you're tearing through enemies who barely have a fighting chance against you. Solo legendary with skulls ought to do the trick.

I didn't really have any qualms with the length of the levels really, but then again I wasn't playing on normal. :pac: Same point as before.

The story isn't terribly complex. You're Rookie, part of ODST, sent on a drop that goes wrong because of Regret's assault carrier doing a slipspace jump in the middle of New Mombasa. The drop goes wrong and your squad is scattered across the city.

Whenever you find an item that brings you into a flashback, it's an item related to one of your scattered squadmates, which you find more out about by playing through the flashback. When the flashback ends, you return to battle as the Rookie. I can understand if you're not particularly filled in on the story it can be easy to get lost, but if you're a Halo fan you've no excuse. :p

That's what the map in your VISR's for really. Set waypoints if you're stuck.

I had a few problems with that too, but I learned to just turn the VISR off and check each door from a distance to see if there's a glowing red light on it. If there is, you can't go in. Flanking isn't necessary for every battle you get into anyway.

I refer back to the post I made earlier. You're getting a campaign that can be made quite long and difficult if you jump into it on solo legendary with the skulls turned on, Firefight mode, and every single map they've released for Halo 3 so far, including 3 exclusive ones.

I think €45 is a reasonable price to pay considering it'd cost over half that just to get the maps released as DLC alone, nevermind the maps that shipped with Halo 3 and the 3 exclusives. That's not even factoring in the campaign and Firefight.

Health packs were put in because you're not a Spartan supersoldier anymore with a regenerating shield (Not actually regenerating health), because they wanted to convey the vulnerability regular soldiers on the field would face on the battlefield against the Covenant, and they wanted you to strategize a bit when it came to battles, since some of the emphasis of this game relies on stealth.

If you're backtracking a lot on normal difficulty just to get healthpacks, I'd recommend you stay in cover. I played it on Legendary solo the first time I started the campaign and I didn't need many health packs at all, because I was careful. I think you're ruining the pace of the battle yourself by not covering your ass. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Good points! First of all, few of my Cons list are really strong criticisms, merely aspects i'm not a big fan of.
    It says in the game while you're actually selecting the difficulty that playing it on easy basically 'plays itself', and normal isn't far off it. Length of the game can't be criticized to a great extent if you're tearing through enemies who barely have a fighting chance against you. Solo legendary with skulls ought to do the trick.

yeah, I guess i wasn't prepared with how easy to jump is down from legendary to normal. I'm not really bothered. I'm enjoying going through it relatively quickly, getting a feel for the game. I'll return to it again on legendary.

I didn't really have any qualms with the length of the levels really, but then again I wasn't playing on normal. :pac: Same point as before.

Nah, they seem to be very short, even accounting for the skill level I'm on.
    The 3rd or 4th level in you start in a warthog. You kill a few wraiths, then a few more and you're done! Similar a few levels later on except you are back in the city.

The story isn't terribly complex. You're Rookie, part of ODST, sent on a drop that goes wrong because of Regret's assault carrier doing a slipspace jump in the middle of New Mombasa. The drop goes wrong and your squad is scattered across the city.

grand, thanks for the update :)
    Whenever you find an item that brings you into a flashback, it's an item related to one of your scattered squadmates, which you find more out about by playing through the flashback. When the flashback ends, you return to battle as the Rookie. I can understand if you're not particularly filled in on the story it can be easy to get lost, but if you're a Halo fan you've no excuse. :p

meh!
    That's what the map in your VISR's for really. Set waypoints if you're stuck.

But health isn't marked on the map is it? Yeah i might try using the waypoints a bit more but to be honest i'm don't want to be playing operation flashpoint here, i just want some straight-forward Halo! This new map functionality seems un-needed to me.
    I had a few problems with that too, but I learned to just turn the VISR off and check each door from a distance to see if there's a glowing red light on it. If there is, you can't go in. Flanking isn't necessary for every battle you get into anyway.

Red light means its locked? Great stuff, thanks.
    I refer back to the post I made earlier. You're getting a campaign that can be made quite long and difficult if you jump into it on solo legendary with the skulls turned on, Firefight mode, and every single map they've released for Halo 3 so far, including 3 exclusive ones.

I'm not going to whinge about the length of the game as its been done to death and i guess that when you add in the multiplayer aspect its decent value but €35 would probably be closer to the mark. People will either love the Campaign or the Multiplayer and rarely both. From that point of view, €45 can seem a bit high.
    I think €45 is a reasonable price to pay considering it'd cost over half that just to get the maps released as DLC alone, nevermind the maps that shipped with Halo 3 and the 3 exclusives. That's not even factoring in the campaign and Firefight.

as above.
    Health packs were put in because you're not a Spartan supersoldier anymore with a regenerating shield (Not actually regenerating health), because they wanted to convey the vulnerability regular soldiers on the field would face on the battlefield against the Covenant, and they wanted you to strategize a bit when it came to battles, since some of the emphasis of this game relies on stealth.

i understand that they wanted to link the health in with being a normal soldier etc but that its still an inferior game mechanic. I LOVE the way in Halo 3 i didn't have to worry about health, a little bit of cover and on you went. It meant that you could concentrate on how much ammo you have left and not about whether you had to go look for a health pack.
    If you're backtracking a lot on normal difficulty just to get healthpacks, I'd recommend you stay in cover. I played it on Legendary solo the first time I started the campaign and I didn't need many health packs at all, because I was careful. I think you're ruining the pace of the battle yourself by not covering your ass. :pac:

tbh, I'm playing it a bit casual due to the skill level and very rarely use cover (and very rarely even use a health pack) but it just seems to ruing the pacing when i have to go find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Just completed this on Heroic, great fun. For me its the best halo since the original Combat Evolved. Its strange to hear people complain about the graphics, because they are much prettier than Halo 3, though that it probably due to art direction rather than any game engine improvements. Only complaint is that the Heroic difficulty setting was too easy in some parts. Anyways, good game.

Just completed this on Heroic, great fun. For me its the best halo since the original Combat Evolved. Its strange to hear people complain about the graphics, because they are much prettier than Halo 3, though that it probably due to art direction rather than any game engine improvements. Only complaint is that the Heroic difficulty setting was too easy in some parts. Anyways, good game.

I think the graphics look amazing as they are. I'd rather Bungie got the game released right away, rather than shelling out more money by taking another year out just to make the game in an engine with better graphics, possibly driving up the price of the game in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Just picked this up tonight, not quite sure what to make of it so far.

Havent tried firefight yet but I'll be on most of the weekend so if anyone is up for a game add me :)

GT: BassmanMurph85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Rented this last night and really don't know what to make of it yet. First impressions though - I HATE the weapons in it. They sound and feel like they have all the stopping power of a water pistol. I'm also not liking "the rookie" sections at all, or the fact that the story is disjointed between the characters.

Overall I have a feeling this game will get another 3 hours play out of me at most, then I'll be too bored to touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I can live with the short campaign - Quite enjoyed it.
    I can live with the fact that I had bought all the maps upon release, and that there's no reward from Bungie for players like me, but oh well. I bought ODST knowing all this.

Firefight was the main draw and something new.

What I find fantastically stupid and practically a gamebreaker is no matchmaking in Firefight. Leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and smacks of lazyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Never mind. Figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

havnt bothered with the campaing yet as i only got it for the maps but fire fight is a good buzz but its a terrible pity its sooooo laggy wen ur playing with a few yanks and the lack of a match making option,,,, and as for the rest of ye,,why did ye bother buying the game if yer going to be doings some winging about it,,its fooking halo like course its going to feel the same lol

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

Epic fail of a game......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

i understand that they wanted to link the health in with being a normal soldier etc but that its still an inferior game mechanic. I LOVE the way in Halo 3 i didn't have to worry about health, a little bit of cover and on you went. It meant that you could concentrate on how much ammo you have left and not about whether you had to go look for a health pack.

The problem is, if we had regenerating health, we'd be taking more risks, and just running at the enemies and all that, playing like a Spartan. As it is, this forces you to be extremely cautious, and use tactics alot more than Halo3, which for me is a big draw of this game.

Halo 3 played like a Die Hard movie, where in my opinion this plays more like a serious shooter.
    ...Its strange to hear people complain about the graphics, because they are much prettier than Halo 3, though that it probably due to art direction rather than any game engine improvements....

In game, i never had any problems with the graphics, but the start sequence, where you see all the ODST hanging out, I remember thinking the graphics looked like something off the PS2. Really shoddy and disappointing opening to the game.

Really enjoying the game myself. Sure its short (havent finished myself yet) but tbh, I cant tell you how many times I've replayed Halo 1 and 3 where as most FPS's I just play the once and never play them again. I'm sure this will be no different from the other Halo games as it seems like alot of [fairly short but] really fun levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got the game for €31 online so it's well worth it for me, especially since I never bought any Halo 3 DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Odd question but has anyone had any problems with red lights after paying ODST. Might be just a strange coincidence but mine went RRoD after playing it and when my nephew played it his showed one red light?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

My team: Red armour, blue names and blue arrows above their heads.

Enemy Team: Blue armour, red names and red arrows above their heads.

Beyond confusing!

Advertisement