Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety problem..Should I go to my G.P.?

• 20-09-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi
    I've been struggling with a anxiety problem for the last few years but its basically come to a head this week and I've decided to get some help.
    I have a fear of any social situation whatsoever and I try my best to avoid situations where I know that I'll come in contact with strangers.It's slowly ruining my life.
    No one in my family or friends know that I'm having this problem but I'm sick of struggling with it.

Should I go to my G.P.?
    And if I do go to my gp how the hell am I supposed to explain what my problem is?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Yeah, I am in the exact same situation. I have terrible anxiety in social situations and it has affected me badly for 10 years. It has led me to get depressed at times also. I have never talked to my g.p about it because I never know how to bring up the topic or explain accurately how much it affects me but I was planning to go to my g.p this week, I am not sure what to expect or even if there is anything that he can do, but I will just do it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

If either of you had a sore leg you would go to your GP no problem. Now the truth of it is that your average GP probably has more patients in with them for anxiety than a sore leg. And the great thing about presenting with anxiety is that you shouldn't have to take your trousers off at any point.

Your GP is your first point of contact for all your health issues, so yes both of you should go and see them. Just tell them what the problem is. When they ask why you are there just start by telling them you have been having anxiety problems and explain as best you can.

They are not psychotherapists so they will not be delving too much into the whys and wherefores of it. They will be discussing options with you of a pharmaceutical and counselling nature, maybe a referral to a mental health professional.

It will be a positive step for both of you to take, and you will likely feel a bit better about it going to bed that night. I wish you both the best of luck, there's a whole mental health profession out there for a reason, utilise them as you would a mechanic or plumber :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

currythis wrote: »
    And if I do go to my gp how the hell am I supposed to explain what my problem is?

Just tell him/her what you've just told us :)

Lots of people suffer from social anxiety, and unfortunately it is probably going to get worse if you don't deal with it.

There are many types of therapy you can have for it, but you should probably ask to go private if you can afford it - "public" therapy waiting lists are huuuuge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Hi Currythis,

Sorry to hear social anxiety is causing such issues for you, but it's a really common issue so don't fear!
    The problem with social anxiety (or any anxiety for that matter) is that it's self-perpetuating (i.e. it makes itself worse). The easiest way to ease anxiety is through avoidance of the anxiety inducing situation, like say the social situation. It provides instant relief in the short term, but makes the anxiety worse in the long term!

It's a cycle that needs to be broken, so well done for considering taking the first step!

As well as seeing your GP, if you want to read up about it, the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne is a great book with LOADS of information and practical help. I highly recommend it to anyone with anxiety issues or social phobia, it's fantastic. Seriously, even read some of the reviews of it on Amazon.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Hi guys, have a look on www.socialanxietyireland.com its a site set up for the Mater Hospital social anxiety group, its based on a CBT approach which all the available best practice research guidelines has been shown to be the most effective intervention for anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dzoni

Hi, it could be social anxiety disorder or avoidant personality disorder. If it's effecting your life and well-being then it's best to do something about it. Don't worry about it, it's a lot more common than you think and it's not your fault.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silent1

Hi I have been diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder. Any of you who are practicing Psychologist - could you tell me do you come across it often?
    I am having CBT with an excellent therapist.
    Just wondering what the prevalance is, I actually went to the therapist with depression initially.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dzoni

Hi Silent,
    I'm not a psychologist but have an interest in the subject. There are estimates of about 2-2.5 % of the population have avoidant personality disorder. I suspect there are many more who have it but not severely enough for it to be classed as problematic. It is probably the root cause of your depression and CBT is an excellent way to control it.
    I believe that diagnosis is a big step towards fixing the problem, if you don't know what's wrong or why, then you can't do much about it, but now you do so you can focus your energies on resolving these specific issues.
    Read up on it in Wikipedia and I wish you the best of luck.
    :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I suffer with anxiety and have done since I was very young. It tends to do with me overthinking or more specifically: pre-thinking a situation out before it even happens. Anticipating the worst case scenario and playing it out in my head before I even face the real situation. That way i'm overcome with dread because I expect the worse and feel like I've failed before I tried, therefore becoming a self-sulfilling prophesy and further discouraging me from similar situations in the future. A cycle of failure, perpetuated by fear, self-doubt, and paranoia.

I find the best ways I overcome this is:

To prepare, without "playing it out". Whatever the situation, to feel ready without feeling like I've gone through the wars beofre I even open my mouth. If it's a party, rather than fixating on how I look or what to talk about etc, instead to get ready early, have clothes picked out, stay calm, and look forward to it.

Interaction: many of us are on social sites but they're not real---words on a screen in an otherwise empty room. You're isolated and this can bring on mild forms of agoraphobia. Talk and be with people as much as possible.

Counselling: can NOT emphasise enough the benefits of counselling. We all have baggage but only some of us confront it and eventually dump it. Take a counsellor's helping hand and defeat the worries inside, it'll really seem like you're free of all the little burdens that weighed you down or made you so anxious.

Friends: confide in them, laugh with them, related to interaction but also you're basically around extended family, so there's trust and comfort in it.

Self-confidence: alot of anxieties regarding social interaction etc revolve around the belief that the person is somehow inadequate or unable to fit in. Maybe it's not you at all. maybe it's the type of people you're around. Find what you like in yourself, and share it with people who take you for who you are. You'll look at yourself with just as much friendship and love as those around you.

Hobbies: if you have them, keep going! it's a part of you. be proud of it/them. If you don't have any, start! Explore what makes you happy, strong, and fufilled. It'll calm you and centre you immensely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 micko35

hotspur wrote: »
    If either of you had a sore leg you would go to your GP no problem. Now the truth of it is that your average GP probably has more patients in with them for anxiety than a sore leg. And the great thing about presenting with anxiety is that you shouldn't have to take your trousers off at any point.

Your GP is your first point of contact for all your health issues, so yes both of you should go and see them. Just tell them what the problem is. When they ask why you are there just start by telling them you have been having anxiety problems and explain as best you can.

They are not psychotherapists so they will not be delving too much into the whys and wherefores of it. They will be discussing options with you of a pharmaceutical and counselling nature, maybe a referral to a mental health professional.

It will be a positive step for both of you to take, and you will likely feel a bit better about it going to bed that night. I wish you both the best of luck, there's a whole mental health profession out there for a reason, utilise them as you would a mechanic or plumber :)

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

i also have this fairly full on sometimes.shaky hands etc.
    i guess its the residue for me from a bad past.
    but some things people said here struck a cord with me.

i was brought up in a strict religion so always thought i was an outsider and everyone else was different.
    so i maybe still have that ingrained and not sure how i get to my subconcious and tell it im normal now! i think untill i know im normal i will never shake that social phobia.

i do find for anyone who is interested that this tended to go hand in hand with a touch of aggrophobia and my way to get around that is to actually have something that i need to go out for.
    once i am out and out with a purpose i can fly along and be cool as a cucumber.and on those days (as apose to any other) when i come to my safezone ie my home and "strangers" are there i can much much more easily slide into that social setting once i have been out and about.

also i would personally not advise someone to just go to a doctor for depression or anxiety(counselling is most important). i suffered it needlessly for so many years because i only went to the doctor to get meds because i thought i had a chemical imbalance.
    so because i diagnosed myself wrong the tabs made me sick and i didnt want to go to therapy.that was a big mistake.

so the lesson i learned was tabs did nothing to FIX my depression.they put it on standby till it decided to come back again later.

so wether it is chemical imbalance or its a personallity conflict or there are a build of toxins in the body the only way to know is to cover all angles with tests and counseling.

i want to stress i am not saying dont seek medical advice!
    i just want people to know that i personally have a strong stance against those type of meds.

PS yes see your gp first and ask him to do a check up for all ailments that can cause depression and anxiety.and while you are there covering the physical side of things ask him to organise a counseling session.

Stewie Griffin qoute "Just remember,wether you think you can do it or not......your right!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm guessing this has been moved into the psych forum, where threads seeking medical advice aren't allowed.
    To the original poster, PM if you want the thread moved to a different forum on boards, and I can re-open and move it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement