Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running TCP/UDP servers off Meteor ISP

• 20-09-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

alright so it seems to be possible (for me anyway) to run some sort of a server off a laptop/phone connected to the Meteor ISP access point (data.mymeteor.ie) and have it accept connections but only from other meteor users who access it using the private IP address they give (10.194.xxx.xxx)

broadcast packets don't seem to work, as awsoem as it would be to be able to send a packet to every user connected to meteor ISP.

a public static IP would be so much better, if they had that I could probably get rid of the DSL altogether but I don't think meteor will supply those. anyone with Meteor mobile broadband got a public IP?

I will probably write a simple HTTP server in python for my phone that shows the latest image from the camera. I have about 4 different versions of this already but they all rely on sending the picture to my server so it's indirect and has a fairly long delay

any other practical uses for this? a simple messaging thing would work but it would be completely pointless for me as i already have free meteor texts. any ideas? meteor LAN party anyone? need to find a game that will cope with 500+ milliseconds of lag

i suppose its the same for other networks too, if you run a server you can only accept connections from people on the same network

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Dankoozy wrote: »
    i suppose its the same for other networks too, if you run a server you can only accept connections from people on the same network

I just tried it on O2 billpay and it works.

I'm running Apache on standard port 80 on my laptop, using my phone as a modem. I set the APN to 'open.internet' because the 'internet' APN wouldn't work. (Interestingly, I got a totally different IP address assigned when I used 'open.internet')

I found my IP address using www.whatismyip.com I then went onto my Mac and went to my 89.204.xxx.xxx address, and got the Apache 'It works!' screen. There's no guarantee this is a static IP though. I somehow doubt it.

Have you tried isp.mymeteor.ie as the APN instead?

Advertisement