Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

And sorry but aren't you the one who claims the industry can't use eircode? Well there's an quote from one of the biggest in the country saying eircode is good and useful for thier business

Are we now not to listen to the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    Please, enlighten me to such claims

I do not recall claiming industry can't use eircode. However, I do recall persistently claiming that the proposed eircode is a dud. Perhaps the two go hand in hand

Yeah they do go hand in hand. Same thing really. And one of the biggest delivery companies claiming that it's good and useful kinda makes you look....wrong.

Nightline aren't saying this for the fun of it. They are one of the most progressive delivery companies I've seen, and I beleive they know what they are talking about and wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. and I believe we've them to thank for Parcel Motel.

Ah of course, I forgot... Nightline have their own fledgling postal service

eircode is, after all, designed for ramming bills and flyers into letter boxes

Irish_Direct_Mail.png

Gee... I could be sure I recognise another prominent supporter of the eircode cartel in that list

What's your point? Nightline have said that eircode will benefit their delivery business.

You don't need eircode to ram flyers anywhere. You can just do that now with the geo directory or pay an post for a mail drop, or buy a list of addresses from the many companies selling them

• Advertisement

Their not standing their ground, they just stated it will be of benefit, if they support it and see its potential then that's all the motivation they'd need to say yes to a promotional video

I see no € signs, must be just on your end

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I have sorted the € signs appearing. I was using a piece of software here that was poorly designed and untested. I have since removed it and declared it not fit for purpose

Good for you, the rest of us will drive on and stop moaning (and stop using ridiculously obtuse analogies)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I have sorted the € signs appearing. I was using a piece of software here that was poorly designed and untested. I have since removed it and declared it not fit for purpose

Good for you, the rest of us will drive on and stop moaning (and stop using ridiculously obtuse analogies)

• Advertisement

People power caused this... utter dissatisfaction with what was being offered caused this

Yeah this is your problem here tho, eircode isn't going to directly cost the average Joe Soap a penny. So there is no people power behind it. Not any where near what Irish water has and will have.

As far as the public are concerned, they were promised a postcode and they are going to get one. Yes they might hear a few vocal people having a rant, but they will take little to no notice as they don't have to open their wallet and hand over money for it.

eircode won't be stopped, weather you like it not, it was selected as the national postcode and it will be implemented as such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

Have a look at the FTAI debate. Palletxpress admitted that none of them had even given eircodes any consideration and then he confused location software with barcoding and scanning. How embarrassing can it get!

Mr. Tom Carr: I am from Palletxpress. Some of us have never met before although we are from a similar industry - but the bottom line for us is that we have all, without even giving it consideration, concluded that there is no use in this for us whatsoever.
    -> so they didn’t even give it consideration

Deputy Michael Colreavy: Does Mr. Carr's company use location software?
    Mr. Tom Carr:. I can only speak for my part of the industry, but many of us use barcoding and scanning. !!!!!

a65b2cd wrote: »
    Have a look at the FTAI debate. Palletxpress admitted that none of them had even given eircodes any consideration and then he confused location software with barcoding and scanning. How embarrassing can it get!

Mr. Tom Carr: I am from Palletxpress. Some of us have never met before although we are from a similar industry - but the bottom line for us is that we have all, without even giving it consideration, concluded that there is no use in this for us whatsoever.
    -> so they didn’t even give it consideration

Deputy Michael Colreavy: Does Mr. Carr's company use location software?
    Mr. Tom Carr:. I can only speak for my part of the industry, but many of us use barcoding and scanning. !!!!!

Just goes to show the difference in professionalism between nightline and pallet express.

If these companies can't figure eircode out. They don't deserve to be in business. This whole thing between those idiots in FTAI and that guy from loc8 is so cringy it's embarrassing for them

These two quotes were already dragged up a few pages back

"Barcoding and Scanning" as he called it are the main components of parcel tracking systems... nothing to do with route planning. A stupid question leads to a stupid answer

eircode has never been tested or used in a real-world scenario. It's merely the wet dream of a direct mail cartel in Dublin. Considering using an undeveloped, untested and unproven concept in your business certainly wouldn't be the accepted norm which makes it surprising that Nightline already seem so supportive of it

He was asked if his company used location software. That's not a stupid question, the fact he replied with barcoding and scanning shows he probably doesn't have a notion what his company uses. Nor does he know what eircode can do. As he stated he didn't even consider it.

How do you know what field tests eircode have or haven't done?

Everything is a concept until it's made real and implemented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Favourable coverage of today's debate on the Irish Times and DCENR websites. An Post have announced their support and the parcel delivery industry and National Ambulance Service as well.

Liam O’Sullivan, mails operations director with An Post, said the postal service was fully committed to the new system.

The Eircode system has also been welcomed by Ireland’s biggest independent delivery firm Nightline, which delivers over 800,000 parcels a month in Ireland. John Tuohy of Nightline has said: “The system, as proposed, is entirely workable and will be a boon for residents and businesses. It actually promises to help my sector speed up deliveries and make them even more accurate than they are at present.”

The Departmental representatives told the Oireachtas Committee that the National Ambulance Service also supported Eircodes. Its National Director Martin Dunne said the introduction of Eircodes would assist in the rapid identification of non-unique addresses. “A considerable number of ambulance calls are to various types of premises and the Eircodes system will allow fast and accurate location of these incidents. The new national computer-aided dispatch system, which will be implemented in 2015, will be Eircodes enabled," he said.

Other than some address data and junk-mail guys adding it to Geodirectory data in Dublin at the moment, eircode has not been tested in industry or on location devices. It has not been tested in deliveries, in fact the main players were not even consulted. It has not been tested with the emergency services, again, they were likely not even consulted. Garmin have their own location coding system and have had since 2008

To think a small few lucky boys somewhere posses the required idiocy to push out a national coding system without any form of real-world testing is beyond belief

Each business or agency that implements eircode will test it on their own systems as part of thier adoption of it. That's not eircode's job to test other companies or departments systems / procedures / software

The code pulls back an address and geo coordinates from a database. It's not bloody rocket science.

This whole "it's only good for junk mail" argument is completely and utterly flawed. Marketing companies do not need this, any marketeer worth their salary already has the geo directory and lots of bought in addresses from other companies selling them and they have segmented that against their target list and optimised thier campaigns.
    You really don't know how marketing works, this eircode will not suddenly open any new doors or increase the current direct mail campaigns, it may help marketers in the background with their segmentation and processing, but they'd be doing this anyway, it may just save them some time. It's the same for a company who already has a database of addresses, say a utility, they can use eircode in the background to help segment their base etc etc, but again, it's for stuff they would be doing anyway or they would be out of business.

• Advertisement

Take DPD off your list above of companies who don't support it....

Brendan The O’Neill, CEO of DPD Ireland, an Irish logistics and delivery company, said the current problem of 35% of houses not having a unique name or number posed a challenge for the delivery industry:

“Our drivers have great knowledge of the areas in which we’re delivering, but without a doubt, finding addresses can sometimes be difficult! To be able to refer to an Eircode that will pinpoint a location quickly and easily, means we can get the product to the customer more efficiently. We’ve already started planning– we want to be involved right from the outset. It will take time to get our technology ready for the launch. Obviously this means investment on our part but we’re confident that this will be returned in increased delivery efficiency and overall customer satisfaction. Ongoing communications to the householder pre-launch is very important to the successful rollout. DPD will support the government’s efforts by communicating directly with our own customers with regard to the benefits for both the shipper and the consumer,” said Mr O’Neill.

Wrong... put him back on your list

He stated as you quote at the launch in April

Then in October, he stated this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82161960/DPD_refusing_eircode.jpg

That he has concerns? But will fully engage with eircode and use it? He was probably brow beaten by the FTAI

It's funny how Nightline say they were consulted before launch

It's also funny how nothing has changed with eircode's design since launch in April, DPD knew what it was back then

Yes they did say that...this is what they said

“We at Nightline are in favour of adopting Eircode. The Nightline Group handles more than one million parcels a month and employs more than 750 staff at 11 sites across the entire island of Ireland,” said John Tuohy, CEO of Nightline.

“The development of and need for a postcode system has been much debated over the course of the last decade. Having studied the plans in detail, I can say that it is a thoroughly advanced system and one which, in my opinion, was selected as being in the best interests of Ireland's people and its business community.

“The industry had a chance to share their thoughts on Eircode even before it was signed off by the Dáil more than 12 months ago. I think that the system, as proposed, is entirely workable and will be a great advantage for both residents and businesses in Ireland. It actually promises to help my sector speed up deliveries and make them even more accurate than they are at present.”

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement