Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Id agree something doesn't add up alright

but bottom line is:
    An Post will use it
    DPD will use it
    Nightline will use it
    National Ambulance will use it

That's the pattern emerging, despite the moaners

All confirmed. Many more will use it obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

ukoda wrote: »
    Id agree something doesn't add up alright

but bottom line is:
    An Post will use it
    DPD will use it
    Nightline will use it
    National Ambulance will use it

That's the pattern emerging, despite the moaners

All confirmed. Many more will use it obviously

Why would An Post use it?
    They have their own system, which cost them millions to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

keeping dublin ghettos, but not creating anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 180Bhoy

yuloni wrote:

Exactly what I thought from day 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ah well, looks like it'll be rammed though regardless at this stage. They're obviously past the point of no return and the TDs know about as much about post codes as they knew about banking in the 2000s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why would An Post use it?
    They have their own system, which cost them millions to set up.

Did they not get paid their share of €15m for the Geodirectory? - 50% if I remember. If I got that, I would at least pretend I agreed with it.

• Advertisement

I foresee a time in the future when eircode is part of daily life, the supporters of it are too big for it to fail (even if they dont want to use it they'll have no choice)

i honestly think it will take off rapidly, and if the pricing is right (and it looks to be from the unoffical comments) then you'll see lots of SME's using it and you'll see new ways of using it (like the company thats already set up an Irish Postcode Lottery)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

Did they not get paid their share of €15m for the Geodirectory? - 50% if I remember. If I got that, I would at least pretend I agreed with it.

9.6m over 10 years. A max of 980k in any one year. Which is split 50/50 between shareholders - OSI and An Post who are ultimately owned by the state.

An Post agree with it and will use it, because it's what they proposed/wanted. Like any other country, they can't force people to use the postcode on mail, and as the designated Universal Service Provider in Ireland (there's one in every country practically), they must deliver the mail - they have targets to meet. They've said they will use it, and that it will generate cost savings for them. Can't argue with that. And GeoDirectory will keep going. What's not to agree with?

yeah its called 'return on investment'

You really cant compare the pricing to Irish Water, thats a mandatory charge to every household in the country. Eircode is optional and if you want it you can buy it. theres a huge difference, if youre expecting a reaction to the pricing to be anywhere near the scale of Irish Water you'll be very disappointed.

There is no sensitivity in the public to eircodes pricing, because its free to use for the public, so like i stated, they wont care. And no SME is actually going to kick up a huge fuss, as again, its optional.

This is nothing like Irish Water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I foresee a time in the future when eircode is part of daily life, the supporters of it are too big for it to fail (even if they dont want to use it they'll have no choice)

i honestly think it will take off rapidly, and if the pricing is right (and it looks to be from the unoffical comments) then you'll see lots of SME's using it and you'll see new ways of using it (like the company thats already set up an Irish Postcode Lottery)

Eircode are not too big to be sent off to redesign it if it is not accepted. Most complaints centre around the poor design, the cost of maintenance, and the cost of use. Remember Irish Water, eVoting, etc. etc.

if its a smart phone its going to have data by default. stop trying to create problems where there are none. It will be free for them to write it on a letter/package, free to look one (or 15) up for free online

How on earth will you have to pay for ongoing large updates to your sat nav??? it will likely be included in new sat navs and small updates to these are usually free, except where you want to add new maps, then they charge, which is fair enough.

I've always disagreed with you but i respected your point of view. now it feels like you're clutching at straws and using obsure nonsense to try make a point.

• Advertisement

By a complete redesign.

As I have suggested many times - a 5 digit numeric routing code that would go down to about 200 addresses or less, and have the last three digits/characters optional.

If the telephone number system model was used, it would have the advantage that most people have a good idea where a postcode relates to - a distinct advantage. Also, the user can give as many digits of the routing code as they want.

Because this is all computerised, a redesign can occur easily at any time at little cost if a dual use period was allowed. We did it with Euros/IR£.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

have a feeling the eircode guys were merging those who want a sequential system and those who wanted a hierarchical one

Data by default? No and no (cost and coverage)

You've never respected anyone POV here (except of course Leonard Shelby and TheBustedFlush). You have a habit of attempting to drive every counter-argument into the ground and when that fails you change topic or regurgitate what's already been discussed. My points stand

Yes by default means unless something goes wrong (I.e. No coverage)

And nope, I've said loc8 was a good navigation code but useless as a national postcode

My points are valid too. Giving a counter argument is a valid thing to do. I can't post anything in this thread without you quoting it within 10 seconds and dissecting it.

And nope, I've said loc8 was a good navigation code but useless as a national postcode

If Eircode is random, how can it be better than loc8? Eircode is a random code in a database, loc8 could be used in the same way. How can it be useless?

If Eircode is random, how can it be better than loc8? Eircode is a random code in a database, loc8 could be used in the same way. How can it be useless?

No database, cant query it, its not connected to the national address database (geo directory)

nope, calm down

If they appended Loc8 code to the geo directory that could work, but my fear then is that youd end up with a set of loc8's validated against a database and random ones generated that dont sit in a database, so it would get very messy for address validation.

If a database is to be used (and i think it should be) then a one to one relationship of a code to an address would be preferable, If a database is not to be used (which i dont agree with) then loc8 would function as a standalone, ive no issue saying that.

the point ive always made is that a database is needed and i dont believe loc8 to be a good option for a national postcode as its more a navigation tool only.

I really dont appreicate being accused of being deceptive and misleading when all im doing is expressing a different opinion to yours. My arguments are also factual, ive never mislead, and this is a an anonymous forum so the the understanding is that everything is opinion unless backed up with a source, which ive always tried to do.

putting something in bold doesnt make it true, it just shows you are getting worked up about it, dont take it personally, its not my intention to annoy you, honest

If loc8 were added to the database of addresses, then a valid address would have a valid loc8 code. A non-address loc8 code would not validate - but no surprise there - it is not an address.

For Eircode, a valid address has a valid Eircode, nothing else has - so it cannot be found and a tempoary Eircode cannot be made up. So the festival field is unknown to everyone - access or no access. Loc8 can have temporary codes - no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

Hmm why do you think he made 7 or 8 contributions, every time stressing how useful eircodes were going to be to An Post, how they had created tens of thousands of mail items with eircodes and tested them through their software, how it would give rise to savings for both automated and manual sorting, how they would use it to sort at delivery level, how they will be 100% ready for the launch in May 2015, etc. etc. When the transcripts are available you can read through them or if you watch the 123 minutes of televised coverage.

Many of the Committee had obviously been well briefed beforehand (particularly Deputy Colreavy) on what questions to ask and hence they really tested the Department and Capita but in the end it was a very convincing victory for eircodes.

Capita stated that they have met many individual FTAI members on a bilateral basis in the last two weeks and that those companies now have a clear understanding of the benefits of eircodes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement