Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just normal Irish state incompetence. It's nothing new.

If the state were competent we'd have addresses with house numbers for hundreds of years like most normal places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

yuloni wrote: »

Nope, I don't work in the industry. I work for an ISP

Regarding loc8 on here, it's not really ok to discuss users who are sitebanned though, as they don't have the right to reply ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

They're a completely unprofessional outfit, I'm delighted that for once common sense prevailed and they didn't allow loc8 to submit a tender. FFS, their main form of marketing is for Delaney to spam the journal and boards (and previously pretend he had nothing to do with loc8 whilst doing so).

He's grasping at straws and just launching a smear campaign against Eircode. Yes, it has its problems, but to be honest, it has plenty of uses. If I'm ringing the emergency services, I'm not going to download the loc8 app to tell me where I am, so it has 0 benefit in this regard versus Eircode.

@Random... what absolute rubbish you write...
    Eircode is a lousy system, is not proven to work and will cost millions of euro..
    Loc8 is a brilliant system, proven to work and is free...
    Please do explain your logic in claiming that Eircode is a better system than Loc8 Code.... (this should be good)...

ukoda wrote: »
    If no system is going to have an impact without being the official state postcode, then why did they bother creating loc8
    Was it thier intention to pre create Ireland's postcode and assume the government would hand them a contract?

Loc8 launched 4 years ago as a private enterprise and have failed to gather public / consumer support for thier product. That's their fault. No one else's.

Loc8 Code has had over 100,000 downloads of individual Loc8 codes so your assertion that Loc8 Code has failed to gather public/consumer support is simply untrue

the point that I made, is that neither is suitable in the situation where you are calling the emergency services, unless you are in your own home.

I wont know the loc8 code for the random road I'm on if I'm in a car crash. The same way I won't know the Eircode for that location. Loc8 seem to think everybody is going to download their app before calling 999, what bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Loc8 Code has had over 100,000 downloads of individual Loc8 codes so your assertion that Loc8 Code has failed to gather public/consumer support is simply untrue

Downloads and usage are too completely different things!!! I've downloaded mine, have I ever used it? Nope

And you do realise that 100,000 out of 2.2 million addresses is about 4%?! Oh yeah it's super popular!

• Advertisement

You know perfectly well that capita aren't getting a cheque for €27m, go and look at the breakdown of the money

There is a difference between that and what I'd like to post

i knew he was doing that but i actually hadn't read any of the comments on the Journal until today. Its actually shocking what he's doing. Its disgraceful. i have absolutely no respect for him anymore.

And he's basically talking to himself when he posts as Himself and then replies to his comments under the Get Lost Eircode name. he's going to end up getting labeled as a crackpot.

As I understand it, the European Commission has found that Ireland did not conduct the Postcode tender correctly and by EU rules... so it is not true to say that what he is doing is shocking... unless of course you agree with Government corruption... Some people might believe what you are doing is disgraceful and shocking in your attempt to smear an individuals good name.

As I understand it, the European Commission has found that Ireland did not conduct the Postcode tender correctly and by EU rules... so it is not true to say that what he is doing is shocking... unless of course you agree with Government corruption... Some people might believe what you are doing is disgraceful and shocking in your attempt to smear an individuals good name.

As I understand it, the EU looked at it and closed the case without taking any actions.

The journal and other articles have been swamped by Gary and his supports arguing with people who call him out on some of his claims, if you take that out of the equation you're left with the usual moaners that post negitive comments on every single thing the government does. It's no different to any other article.

Don't be fooled into over estimating the publics negativity to eircode

The Journal did a poll on one article and it was very much in favour of having a postcode for Ireland, and like I've said the public will get an Eircode and start using it and will never know of this arguement on this thread, nor will they care

You are right about one thing there ukoda... the Journal is swamped by supporters of Loc8 Code, and no wonder it would.... no hardworking taxpayer wants to see millions of their hard earned taxes being wasted on Eircode when there is a proven and free (and better in mho) postcode system out there... sure even a child could figure out that one...

Remind me again why you believe that Eircode is the correct Postcode option?

You are right about one thing there ukoda... the Journal is swamped by supporters of Loc8 Code, and no wonder it would.... no hardworking taxpayer wants to see millions of their hard earned taxes being wasted on Eircode when there is a proven and free (and better in mho) postcode system out there... sure even a child could figure out that one...

Remind me again why you believe that Eircode is the correct Postcode option?

Swamped by a small minority

I'm not going to rehash the same arguments, go read back on my posts if you want my views

Do we? Or we know An Post attempted adding loc8 code and decided against it

Maybe you've just proven it wasn't workable in a database as it was never used or promoted by An Post and obviously the geo directory users weren't actually asking for it

ukoda, as I read through your comments it is clear to me that you are not just an 'ordinary' contributor, especially your 'insider' information/comment about An Post.
    For the purposes of good and fair discussion and full disclosure, who do you represent/work for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

I thought it was just a matter of running a computerised algorithm to convert the Geodirectory X/Y codes? Were there difficulties that made it become a huge effort?

Per An Post at the Oireachtas briefing last Wednesday they have also added eircodes as they tested tens of thousands of them through their automated sorting software and found significant efficiencies. They also stated that eircodes would result in substantial savings when temporary staff are manually sorting 2015 Christmas cards into the 139 postal areas.

Im a geo directory user, I've never seen or been offered loc8 code

You have never seen or been offered Loc8 Code? Do you know anything about Loc8 Code? because you seem to be offering an awful lot of opinions about Loc8 Code...

ukoda, as I read through your comments it is clear to me that you are not just an 'ordinary' contributor, especially your 'insider' information/comment about An Post.
    For the purposes of good and fair discussion and full disclosure, who do you represent/work for?

I've no insider info, I've only publicly available knowledge, I don't work for eircode or any of its associates, I have a dim view of capita as a company and I've already stated all that on this thread

I work for a private company nothing to do with eircode's, altho we will use them when they arrive

You have never seen or been offered Loc8 Code? Do you know anything about Loc8 Code? because you seem to be offering an awful lot of opinions about Loc8 Code...

As part of An Post's geo directory offering, never been offered or seen loc8 as an offering here

I do know about loc8 and I've done research on them

I've never made any 'insider' comment about An Post, I only comment on what I read or what I've seen from the debate last week

Also, if there are workers manually sorting post, it's usually because they failed OCR / OHWR. What difference does adding a postcode make here if your handwriting is sh1te?!

Isn't this obvious?! With a postcode you'll have less failed reads on their address scanning tech, so less manual work in the first place

the point that I made, is that neither is suitable in the situation where you are calling the emergency services, unless you are in your own home.

I wont know the loc8 code for the random road I'm on if I'm in a car crash. The same way I won't know the Eircode for that location. Loc8 seem to think everybody is going to download their app before calling 999, what bs.

Random, if you were in a car crash or broken down and needed the emergency services you would download the app and give the Loc8 Code, its easier than sending a text or making a phone call... there wouldn't be much point in making the phone call if you couldnt give the Emergency Services your location now would there...

To take your point further, what you are basically saying is that it is too much trouble, so I ask you. If you did not get the emergency service on your first call, would you make a second call? If you wouldn't then it wouldn't be much of an emergency!!

Random, if you were in a car crash or broken down and needed the emergency services you would download the app and give the Loc8 Code, its easier than sending a text or making a phone call... there wouldn't be much point in making the phone call if you couldnt give the Emergency Services your location now would there...

To take your point further, what you are basically saying is that it is too much trouble, so I ask you. If you did not get the emergency service on your first call, would you make a second call? If you wouldn't then it wouldn't be much of an emergency!!

E112 is the solution here. No one is going to download an app after being in an accident ffs

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just normal Irish state incompetence. It's nothing new.

If the state were competent we'd have addresses with house numbers for hundreds of years like most normal places.

And we certainly would not be spending millions to get something that is already free....

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement