Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ukoda wrote: »
    I've been around since 2008 on here and post in other threads. I'm just sick of people like you flogging a dead horse. The time for debate is over. Every party has had their day in the oireachtas and repeatedly asking the same old stuff over and over again on an Internet forum is of absolutely no use to anyone.

What are you hoping to achieve with your debate? This isn't the dail. This isn't the oireachtas. This isn't an open letter to eircode. This isn't a government feedback forum. This is an Internet thread that's full of dragged out arguments against a design that's already been signed off and it's becoming tiresome
    If you don't want to be part of the debate, feel free to leave.

But don't tell other that they can't take part or what they should or shouldn't debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

A locate me service for emergency response

http://afloat.ie/safety/rescue/item/27495-new-locateme112-service-helps-locate-emergency-callers-via-smartphone

Quite rightly neither a postcode or a Loc8 app in sight, a proper solution instead. This is the final nail in the coffin for Loc8 as a concept.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Still needs a smartphone with data coverage. How does it send back the location infomation? Is it all SMS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Sounds like LOC8 are involved with that app name?

Solutions aren't difficult when you actually try to think of them rather than simply wave your hands in the air. Input postcode into "privacy" app, output Small Area, give to market survey person. Alternatively data protection requirements may make this standard practice on behalf of the receiving company, take postcode but don't store it, store the Small Area instead.

How could the receiver use the eircode to write to the customer or make a service visit if they have deleted the eircode? Will house number be deleted as well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Sounds like LOC8 are involved with that app name?

Solutions aren't difficult when you actually try to think of them rather than simply wave your hands in the air. Input postcode into "privacy" app, output Small Area, give to market survey person. Alternatively data protection requirements may make this standard practice on behalf of the receiving company, take postcode but don't store it, store the Small Area instead.

How could the receiver use the eircode to write to the customer or make a service visit if they have not stored the eircode? Will house number be deleted as well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

http://afloat.ie/safety/rescue/item/27495-new-locateme112-service-helps-locate-emergency-callers-via-smartphone

Quite rightly neither a postcode or a Loc8 app in sight, a proper solution instead. This is the final nail in the coffin for Loc8 as a concept.

Similar to the E112 service that the EU are working on. Good to see Ireland ahead of the game with something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Similar to the E112 service that the EU are working on. Good to see Ireland ahead of the game with something like this

112 does not work in Ireland as intended. They are still confusingly advertising "999" over a decade after 112 was introduced.

By all means keep 999 working by diverting calls to 999 to 112. But stop advertising 999.

I am sure that many, perhaps most Irish people stuck in an emergency in another country/state would not have 112 at the top of their mind. They would if 112 instead of 999 was advertised on every Garda car etc. A change would not require any expensive spend on advertising, or anything else.

The same goes for the call progress tones. Ireland changed to ITU/T international dial tone and information tones (when digital PSTN switching was introduced around 1980 - ie 35 years ago), but kept the old British ringing tone/cadence used on the electromechanical switches (which are now all gone). The British ringing tone sounds like a broken busy tone or wrong number, to much of the rest of the planet when they call an Irish number.

Off topic you might say..... but it seems to me that the Irish "public service" works long and hard to do things in a second rate manner - which includes Eircodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'm ABL, anyone but Loc8. Solely due to Gary Delaney and the way that he has conducted his pathetic anti-eircode propaganda campaign. Looks like he's spent so much time on postcodes he missed out on providing emergency services a location solution. Thank you Jesus.

Impetus wrote: »
    112 does not work in Ireland as intended. They are still confusingly advertising "999" over a decade after 112 was introduced.

By all means keep 999 working by diverting calls to 999 to 112. But stop advertising 999.

I am sure that many, perhaps most Irish people stuck in an emergency in another country/state would not have 112 at the top of their mind. They would if 112 instead of 999 was advertised on every Garda car etc. A change would not require any expensive spend on advertising, or anything else.

The same goes for the call progress tones. Ireland changed to ITU/T international dial tone and information tones (when digital PSTN switching was introduced around 1980 - ie 35 years ago), but kept the old British ringing tone/cadence used on the electromechanical switches (which are now all gone). The British ringing tone sounds like a broken busy tone or wrong number, to much of the rest of the planet when they call an Irish number.

Off topic you might say..... but it seems to me that the Irish "public service" works long and hard to do things in a second rate manner - which includes Eircodes.

It's this that I was referring to

http://www.gsa.europa.eu/news/how-enable-better-location-emergency-calls-galileo-and-112

Would hope it would work even if they called 999,

I've posted this link before when people make the argument that in an emergency you'd download the loc8 app and generate a code and then call 112, to show how ridiculously cumbersome and outdated the idea of using a code like that for emergency services location actually is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If only the public service did things in a second rate manner - they appear to seek out the worst possible solution in all matters. If there is a good suggestion, it gets shot down immediately, but a stupid suggestion gets full investigation to make sure it is stupid enough to be implemented, and if it is, they will set a few 'consultants' to investigate it further, and if they agree it is very stupid, then it will be funded double the amount it needs and will be given a target date of the 5th of never, and an over-run budget contingency, just in case.

Oh dear, that sounds like PayPars, Irish Water, eVoting, Eircode, and plenty more projects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The 112 / 999 thing is taking too long but then again I know a guy who in an emergency tried to dial 911 which didn't work on an Irish landline!
    999 has been in use since the 1930s, so it's very very firmly brunt into the brains.

The British also don't advertise 112 at all which adds to the confusion here.

The Irish network actually never used anything other than the European style dialing and busy tones. The reason is most likely that we've never used British switching equipment. P&T used Ericsson crossbar exchanges from the mid 1950s onwards (all built in Athlone). Those systems set our current standards for tones. There was no standard in Europe for tones until much later though.

Digital exchanges arrived in Ireland in 1980 and basically just used similar tones to the Ericsson ARF crossbars. Again we didn't buy British exchanges as they didn't even have anything much more than a protype of their System X at that stage and it was already relatively obsolete technology as it had been designed by a bureaucratic mess of committees in the 70s to a political agenda. It never managed to get any export sales at all!

They used two systems here. Ericsson AXE (Ireland had some of the very first fully digital versions of it ever used) and a French system which was the only well proven digital exchange in existence in the early 80s - Alcatel E10. It also suited Ireland's population scatter as it's totally distributed design. You could immediately serve tiny places.

Basically, we just used the British style ringing tone as it was familiar to most users.

Most calls to and from Ireland are still to the UK and other English speaking countries. All of those use either the UK or US style ring tone.
    To many Anglophones the continental ring sounds like a busy tone as it doesn't warble.

I used to live in France and US relatives used to ring and hang up thinking the phone was faulty!

The logical thing for Ireland might be a North American ring. Warbles, same on/off pattern as the continent and everyone recognises it from movies.

We adopted UK type plugs and sockets as we needed compatibility with Northern Ireland and there wasn't a de facto EU standard when we did. The old continental systems had a mess of different earthing pins, clips etc. We had used a mixture of old British round pin and German sockets until then. When the UK introduced a modern system in the 1950s we also adopted it as it deliberately didn't have backwards compatibility and forced the use of earthed plugs. Also the idea of a portable appliance in the 1950s was a vacuum cleaner! People didn't have mobile phones or devices to take on holiday.

The Irish road signs are just different for the sake of being different though. I've no idea why we use symbols in red circles to mean something is permitted. Our parking signs mean no parking to every other EU driver.
    We also use North American warning signs (yellow diamonds). Basically our signage is in line with Australia and NZ not the EU.

There are other oddities like using imperial "Irish" pipes when even Britian stopped using them and when no fittings (taps etc) are produced to fit them!

However,
    There is absolutely no EU standards for addresses or postal codes. Some follow similar patterns, others don't. Some are more accurate than others too.

Maybe the EU should have a standard to be moved towards giving a pan-EU geographical location code eventually?

But as it stands there's no system to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Oh dear God. I knew you didn't understand much about how postal routes are organised and post delivered but I didn't think it extended this far. Honestly, for your own sake, stop posting about this issue until you've read An Post's plan, you lose credibility with each post. What you have written is complete and utter nonsense.

What is An Posts plan?
    Can you provide a url?
    Can you provide a document title?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The 112 / 999 thing is taking too long but then again I know a guy who in an emergency tried to dial 911 which didn't work on an Irish landline!
    999 has been in use since the 1930s, so it's very very firmly brunt into the brains.

The British also don't advertise 112 at all which adds to the confusion here.

The Irish network actually never used anything other than the European style dialing and busy tones. The reason is most likely that we've never used British switching equipment. P&T used Ericsson crossbar exchanges from the mid 1950s onwards (all built in Athlone). Those systems set our current standards for tones. There was no standard in Europe for tones until much later though.

Digital exchanges arrived in Ireland in 1980 and basically just used similar tones to the Ericsson ARF crossbars. Again we didn't buy British exchanges as they didn't even have anything much more than a protype of their System X at that stage and it was already relatively obsolete technology as it had been designed by a bureaucratic mess of committees in the 70s to a political agenda. It never managed to get any export sales at all!

They used two systems here. Ericsson AXE (Ireland had some of the very first fully digital versions of it ever used) and a French system which was the only well proven digital exchange in existence in the early 80s - Alcatel E10. It also suited Ireland's population scatter as it's totally distributed design. You could immediately serve tiny places.

Basically, we just used the British style ringing tone as it was familiar to most users.

Most calls to and from Ireland are still to the UK and other English speaking countries. All of those use either the UK or US style ring tone.
    To many Anglophones the continental ring sounds like a busy tone as it doesn't warble.

I used to live in France and US relatives used to ring and hang up thinking the phone was faulty!

The logical thing for Ireland might be a North American ring. Warbles, same on/off pattern as the continent and everyone recognises it from movies.

We adopted UK type plugs and sockets as we needed compatibility with Northern Ireland and there wasn't a de facto EU standard when we did. The old continental systems had a mess of different earthing pins, clips etc. We had used a mixture of old British round pin and German sockets until then. When the UK introduced a modern system in the 1950s we also adopted it as it deliberately didn't have backwards compatibility and forced the use of earthed plugs. Also the idea of a portable appliance in the 1950s was a vacuum cleaner! People didn't have mobile phones or devices to take on holiday.

The Irish road signs are just different for the sake of being different though. I've no idea why we use symbols in red circles to mean something is permitted. Our parking signs mean no parking to every other EU driver.
    We also use North American warning signs (yellow diamonds). Basically our signage is in line with Australia and NZ not the EU.

There are other oddities like using imperial "Irish" pipes when even Britian stopped using them and when no fittings (taps etc) are produced to fit them!

However,
    There is absolutely no EU standards for addresses or postal codes. Some follow similar patterns, others don't. Some are more accurate than others too.

Maybe the EU should have a standard to be moved towards giving a pan-EU geographical location code eventually?

But as it stands there's no system to follow.

Most of the population of this planet is familiar with the normal Continental ringing tone which is in use in Russia, South America, much of Africa, etc. Probably 90% of the world uses the ITU-T tones. 65 million in GB and 4.5 million in Ireland recognise the British tone + outposts like Gibraltar. The US tone is based the pre-semiconductor era - and was generated by electromechanical relays. It is only found in the US, CDN and colonies.

While Europe varies between 4 and 5 digit postcodes for the most part, the system is totally standard in terms of address layout and OCR stuff.

eg

Person and/or company
    Street and house number
    00000 and Town

No mention of counties, provinces is ever used. Putting an all numeric postcode before the town name on the last line provides 98% recognition by machine.

I was in Ireland today, in Cork and had to make a visit to a business in the area. There was no street address on their card or website. There was no building number on a street. The name of the business park did not exist in my Dec 2014 updated GPS. Totally screwed up in terms of access ease, convenience and efficiency.

It is the same or worse in most of the country.

Ireland is a third world country when it comes to signage, telecommunications, logistics, and many other essentials for doing business.

Due mainly in my view to political and administrative ineptitude and corruption.

You haven't been to many 3rd world countries then!
    Yes the addressing is a little obsolete and chaotic, many other things aren't though. Rural broadband's an issue everywhere (I lived in and have connections to quite a few countries). Telecommunications wise, Ireland seems pretty much similar to most of Western Europe and North America. I have more broadband speed options here than I do in the UK, particularly with UPC but even eircom's VDSL (efibre) is pretty good.

Also, ALL telecommunications tones originate in the pre-digital era. They were generated using rotating 'tone generators', relays and switches, including the continental ones. There's nothing unusual about that.

The reality is that *ALL* English-speaking countries use those warbling tones for ringing. We'd be the only English-speaking country not to use them if we changed. Also, it makes no particular difference as they're widely understood on the continent and elsewhere too. I've never encountered anyone having a difficulty with them.

The North American and British tones just developed in parallel to the ones used in continental Europe. They're all digitally generated and have been for decades, by very similar / identical equipment.

Without completely changing our entire addressing system and naming roads, we couldn't move to a continental style addressing system as it wouldn't work.

Poncyville,
    Ballygobackwards 90210

Would be totally useless as all 90210 tells you is that it's in Ballygobackwards.
    Almost all (except the Dutch and British) postal code systems in Europe just tell you the town/suburb.

We could make a start at addresses that make sense to humans.

Urban areas that have street names should assign numbers to the houses where they do not exist or are ambivalent. That would be simple. It should be required that people have a house number clearly readable from outside the property.

Rural areas could start by putting up signs for townlands, and getting road names sorted out. It is not rocket science. If there is only one road in the townland then that is also the name of the road - Townland Road. It there are two then one is Townland Road East, and the other one is Townland Road West. If there are rural housing developments, then the development gets a name and the houses are numbered.

You then get the local Authority to put up signs - or maybe the local tidy town group.

It is necessary to have addresses that can be read by humans not equipped with a computer in their pocket connected to the internet.

It is necessary to have addresses that can be read by humans not equipped with a computer in their pocket connected to the internet.

i would say this is actually getting less and less important, whats critical now, and will be in the future is something than can be put into a smartphone and guide you where you need to go, smartphone use has skyrocketed in Ireland in the last few years and none of the next generation kids will be without one, nor will they ever be leaving the house without their smartphone in toe. It would still be nice to have proper signage and names though, i accept that point, i just think its less of an issue now and will become even smaller in 5/10 years.

i would say this is actually getting less and less important, whats critical now, and will be in the future is something than can be put into a smartphone and guide you where you need to go, smartphone use has skyrocketed in Ireland in the last few years and none of the next generation kids will be without one, nor will they ever be leaving the house without their smartphone in toe. It would still be nice to have proper signage and names though, i accept that point, i just think its less of an issue now and will become even smaller in 5/10 years.

That is nonsense. If you insist that everyone has a smartphone in order to get about, why bother with road signs at all. Everyone will have a satnav - not so.

That is nonsense. If you insist that everyone has a smartphone in order to get about, why bother with road signs at all. Everyone will have a satnav - not so.

I didn't insist that anyone has to have a smartphone. All I said was that most people do. And all the next generation will. I agreed that signage would be good to have. All I said was its becoming less important and will continue to become less important. If I'm going somewhere now, I either already know the way and if I don't google maps comes out. That's the way the world is going. It is not nonsense.
    There isn't a need to be hostile about everything I say. I did actually agree with you.

Signage has massively improved in the last decade+

However, the addressing really doesn't help. Especially the old favourite (happens in England too btw)

Joe Blogs
    15 Boards House,
    Long Mile Road,
    Dublin 24

Or Joe Blogs,
    Unit 15a Boards Technology Park
    Athlone
    Co Westmeath

They never bother with a street address for the building or the technology park.

An Post know where it is, but visitors and couriers don't have a clue.

The whole system assumes intimate local knowledge is available to everyone. It's a sort of weirdly parochial attitude that seems to be unaware or uncaring about how a "blow in" or "stranger" might find anything.
    "Sure everyone knows Joe Blog's house... Tiz the one by the big tree next to Murphy's be gorrah!"

While Europe varies between 4 and 5 digit postcodes for the most part, the system is totally standard in terms of address layout and OCR stuff.

eg

Person and/or company
    Street and house number
    00000 and Town

No mention of counties, provinces is ever used. Putting an all numeric postcode before the town name on the last line provides 98% recognition by machine.
    The 4-5 digit postcode only identifies the town, so the street and house number still needs to be found.
    I was in Ireland today, in Cork and had to make a visit to a business in the area. There was no street address on their card or website. There was no building number on a street. The name of the business park did not exist in my Dec 2014 updated GPS. Totally screwed up in terms of access ease, convenience and efficiency.
    Did the business park exist in reality, not your virtual version?
    If it did, then your poor maps caused you the problem there.
    If it was in a business park, then it wouldn't be on a street, it might be on a road.

• Advertisement

The 4-5 digit postcode only identifies the town, so the street and house number still needs to be found.

Did the business park exist in reality, not your virtual version?
    If it did, then your poor maps caused you the problem there.
    If it was in a business park, then it wouldn't be on a street, it might be on a road.

To be fair to the poster this is a regular annoyance in Ireland.
    You've often got difficulty finding smaller business parks on even accurate maps.
    Street (road) address would be very very useful.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    To be fair to the poster this is a regular annoyance in Ireland.
    You've often got difficulty finding smaller business parks on even accurate maps.
    Street (road) address would be very very useful.

You've often got difficulty finding smaller streets on even accurate maps too.

They're not very accurate then!

The problem with business parks is often that they're not officially on any OSI map and they're sometimes known by multiple names. I've come across this a few times where you get something like:

Postcode Geek Technological Park
    Postcode Geek Business Park
    Postcode Geek Park

and so on.

There's a huge problem in so far as nobody seems to be in charge of addressing here. It's a total free-for-all.
    For example, houses seem to just stick a name up on the gate (if they're bothered), or just start using a house name and it becomes accepted by An Post eventually. There's no actual process where by you send a form off to register this address or anything like that from what I can see.
    There's no enforcement of use of numbers on buildings, meaning that in a lot of cases they become totally illogical or replaced by pompous house names in urban areas or they're not displayed, or unclearly displayed.

Local authorities should really be given a role in organising this, which is the case in pretty much every other country I've been in.

We really do need a situation where you're given an "official address" for a building by the city/county council.

I get stuff addressed to me as:

The Hon. Spacetime,
    1 My Street,
    Suburb,
    Cork

The Hon. Spacetime,
    1 My Street,
    Suburb,
    Cork 1

The Hon. Spacetime,
    1 My Street,
    Suburb,
    Co. Cork
    (In accurate as Suburb ≠ a town)

The Hon. Spacetime,
    1 My Street,
    Suburb,
    Cork,
    Co. Cork.

(as if we didn't know Cork was in Cork?)

On a lot of forms, you can't actually select "Cork" (i.e Cork City) and have to select county Cork so often end up with something like:

901 Patrick's Street
    Co. Cork

The whole thing is just completely illogical nonsense controlled by absolutely nobody.

Would it not make more sense to solve this problem - starting now.

It could be done as part of the introduction of postcodes, before the introduction of postcodes, or instead of postcodes.

It would be sensible to give responsibility for Official Addresses to either Local Authorities (through the planning dept) or to the Revenue (as part of Local Property Tax).

Would it not make more sense to solve this problem - starting now.

It could be done as part of the introduction of postcodes, before the introduction of postcodes, or instead of postcodes.

It would be sensible to give responsibility for Official Addresses to either Local Authorities (through the planning dept) or to the Revenue (as part of Local Property Tax).

its a mammoth task though to assign every road/street a name and every dwelling a number. It would take years and be met with a lot of resistance from the crowd that decide to make up their own addresses and now have to be told its not right, it would also be very difficult to enforce the rule of having to number your house, i agree it should be done, but i highly doubt it ever will, and like i say, when we do get postcodes that are unique to every property the appetite to completely overhaul our addressing system will be very much diminished

It should be done and it should be started now. The urban problem is easy to solve, the rural one less so.

The first step should be to make someone responsible for official addresses. I would think Revenue are the most obvious as they are responsible for LPT and they are very efficient at what they do.

If they start with the urban addresses and sort those out, it would be a pointer towards the willingness of this state to drag itself into the twentieth century. We might make the twenty-first century before it is half over.

It should be done and it should be started now. The urban problem is easy to solve, the rural one less so.

The first step should be to make someone responsible for official addresses. I would think Revenue are the most obvious as they are responsible for LPT and they are very efficient at what they do.

If they start with the urban addresses and sort those out, it would be a pointer towards the willingness of this state to drag itself into the twentieth century. We might make the twenty-first century before it is half over.

Urban would be ok, rural would be a nightmare, as an example...

my parents live in rural Ireland on a road with no name. Their address is something like this:

BallyNice
    Nearest Town
    County

However 'BallyNice" is a "pet" name that has been adopted locally for over 100 years, the official name is "BallyOk" but no one locally would have a clue where you meant if you used it. the post man knows it as "ballyNice" and so does everyone else, now to try and suddenly make this "ballyOk" would cause a lot of confusion in the area, the local people and the postman would have never heard of this area and wouldn't know where it was even if they were standing in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is certainly a big task, and I think 'user consent' is a big part of it.

I would suggest numbering the small areas, then numbering the road segments within the small areas and then finally numbering the houses along the road segments.

(so the code would be province, county, small area (three digits), street segment within small area (2 digits) house on street segment (2 digits).

I would allow people a fair bit of flexibility in what they put in their address. If they want to put down that their address is Glenegeary when they actually live in Ballybrack, I would leave them at it.

Royal Mail has a 'flexible' system along these lines: http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/How-do-I-address-my-mail-correctly . You can choose what to put on the middle line of the address.

I would get rid of this crazy business of 8-line long addresses (now 9 lines with eircode added, and 10 lines with an addressee included) that the Irish system occasionally throws up. Look at this for a classy address from Geodirectory:

SEWERAGE WORKS
    LOUTH COUNTY COUNCIL
    LURGANGREEN SEWERAGE WORKS
    MOORETOWN LANE
    DUBLIN ROAD
    LURGANGREEN
    DUNDALK
    CO. LOUTH

It should be enough to give a four line address:

LURGANGREEN SEWERAGE WORKS or LOUTH COUNTY COUNCIL
    LURGANGREEN or MOORETOWN LANE or, (not so good) DUBLIN ROAD
    CO. LOUTH - 12345 or 12345-6789

The role of the middle line should be to disambiguate the whole thing. It should not be prescribed as it currently is. It is useful for confirming the address for sure.

Urban would be ok, rural would be a nightmare, as an example...

my parents live in rural Ireland on a road with no name. Their address is something like this:

BallyNice
    Nearest Town
    County

However 'BallyNice" is a "pet" name that has been adopted locally for over 100 years, the official name is "BallyOk" but no one locally would have a clue where you meant if you used it. the post man knows it as "ballyNice" and so does everyone else, now to try and suddenly make this "ballyOk" would cause a lot of confusion in the area, the local people and the postman would have never heard of this area and wouldn't know where it was even if they were standing in it!

I presume you are talking about Charleville/ Rath Luric Which had road signs for Rath Luric and was on the OS map as Rath Luric, with no signs for Charleville, but everyone referred to it as Charleville. Impossible to find unless you asked a local. A bit like the situation I think will happen with Eircode.
    Tourist 'Where is A08 GHYT?'
    Local 'No idea.'
    T 'Where is here?'
    L ' A08 ZFHW'
    T 'So it is not near here?'
    L 'Could be.'

Eircode will not be much use for finding places based on local knowledge - you will need a computer in your pocket that is connected to the internet.

Recently, Dingle became An Dangan, much to the annoyance to the locals - but they sorted it.

• Advertisement

I presume you are talking about Charleville/ Rath Luric Which had road signs for Rath Luric and was on the OS map as Rath Luric, with no signs for Charleville, but everyone referred to it as Charleville. Impossible to find unless you asked a local. A bit like the situation I think will happen with Eircode.
    Tourist 'Where is A08 GHYT?'
    Local 'No idea.'
    T 'Where is here?'
    L ' A08 ZFHW'
    T 'So it is not near here?'
    L 'Could be.'

Eircode will not be much use for finding places based on local knowledge - you will need a computer in your pocket that is connected to the internet.

Recently, Dingle became An Dangan, much to the annoyance to the locals - but they sorted it.

No different county to cork, which tells me it's probably a situation that happens in many counties, at least with eircode they can find the property with this "computer in their pocket" you keep referring to? I assume you mean a sat nav or smartphone? You talk like its a rarity and calling it a computer in a pocket is an effort on your part to make it seem unlikely. Yet hard facts show "computers in pockets" are owned by nearly 70% of Irish people and a tourist is likely to have hired a car complete with sat nav (again very high figures of this happening)

The use of the term "computer in your pocket" is not going to take away from the fact that there are less and less scenarios each year where someone doesn't have a "computer in their pocket"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement