Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

plodder wrote: »
    They wouldn't have to be assigned randomly or aggregated into larger units. They could be assigned automatically in some way so that neighbouring areas have similar codes. So, if one area has the code D3, then the area to the West of it, would have D2, and the area to the East would have D4. The area to the South would have E3.

Well it certainly won't be a letter and a number like E3 as postal towns can contain at least 700 small areas so you would have to use codes such as DG and DH. So just say we have coded them all from AA to ZZ, who is that helpful to?

Not to An Post as they will use their postal routes. Not to the ambulance as it just going to one address. So to parcel deliverers? Are small areas better than using parts of the text address like Naas and Newbridge?

Why not just put the Eircodes for the day's deliveries into an excel file and attach the X/Y to them. Some IT guy will have developed an algorithm that reads such an excel file, your depot location, and outputs an optimum delivery sequence that could take additional factors into account such as priority deliveries, preferred delivery time, etc. It should be straightforward to use the X/Y to calculate approximate road distance between deliveries and to combine this with travel speed to estimate reasonably accurate delivery times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The small areas are the basis of statistics, having the postcodes congruent with them would assist the compilation and application of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

The small areas are the basis of statistics, having the postcodes congruent with them would assist the compilation and application of data.

Did someone not say that the eircode database does contain smaller areas that can be queried? So anyone doing statistics could use this but it's not public to be used by individuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

ukoda wrote: »
    Did someone not say that the eircode database does contain smaller areas that can be queried? So anyone doing statistics could use this but it's not public to be used by individuals?

I think it was Ossian Smyth (Green Party) who posted a link to the Eircodes ECAD manual which contains a description of the contents of the ECAD file including the small area for each Eircode:

Small Area boundaries are sub-divisions of Electoral Divisions and offer a much greater level of detail in terms of analysing data spatially. A normal Small Area is comprised of approximately 80-120 dwellings created by the National Institute of Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA) on behalf of the Ordnance Survey Ireland (OSi) in consultation with the Central Statistics Office (CSO). CSO’s Census 2011 publishes SAPS at the Small Area level. There are 18,489 Small Areas in the ECAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The sort of thing postcodes are used for in countries would be related to demographics. Say I want to send a mailshot to high value districts, can I do this or is this postcode redlining and they are trying to stop me.

• Advertisement

The sort of thing postcodes are used for in countries would be related to demographics. Say I want to send a mailshot to high value districts, can I do this or is this postcode redlining and they are trying to stop me.

How would it stop you? You can send what you want to whoever you want via mailshot now and the introduction of eircode won't stop you.

Eircode won't tell you who is or isn't high value. That's down to your own statidical anaylsis or marketing segmentation to figure out who your demographic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

a65b2cd wrote: »
    Well it certainly won't be a letter and a number like E3 as postal towns can contain at least 700 small areas so you would have to use codes such as DG and DH. So just say we have coded them all from AA to ZZ, who is that helpful to?
    I don't see a problem with using AA to ZZ.
    Not to An Post as they will use their postal routes. Not to the ambulance as it just going to one address. So to parcel deliverers? Are small areas better than using parts of the text address like Naas and Newbridge?
    It's useful to organisations/individuals who don't want to/can't afford to license the databases. Any small business that needs to travel to where people live. The whole point of postcodes is to get away from ambiguous text addresses. Eg in the UK all local taxi firms will have a map on the wall of local postcode areas like this one. This should be public/free infrastructure up to a point. By all means, if you have a genuine need for the database, as many organisations will, then go ahead and license it. But, why force everyone to? This is just one more in the myriad of costs that Irish businesses face, that those in the UK (for example) don't.
    Why not just put the Eircodes for the day's deliveries into an excel file and attach the X/Y to them. Some IT guy will have developed an algorithm that reads such an excel file, your depot location, and outputs an optimum delivery sequence that could take additional factors into account such as priority deliveries, preferred delivery time, etc. It should be straightforward to use the X/Y to calculate approximate road distance between deliveries and to combine this with travel speed to estimate reasonably accurate delivery times.
    Yes, it's true that people will develop software like that. But, it won't be free because they will have to license the secret data behind it. Therefore it is a cost on Irish businesses which UK businesses don't face.

Yes, it's true that people will develop software like that. But, it won't be free because they will have to license the secret data behind it. Therefore it is a cost on Irish businesses which UK businesses don't face.

As per the requirement for it to be self financing

As per the requirement for it to be self financing
    Is the UK's postcode not self-financing, despite having some value for free?

Like the UK, I think it's clear a lot of businesses would still have a need to license the Eircode databases.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to look at small areas, you can see them on the CSO's website at http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/ you need to unclick the county option and click the small areas one, and you can zoom in then wherever you want.

Is the UK's postcode not self-financing, despite having some value for.

How is the UK one self financing, how does it generate revenue to cover the cost of its maintenance?

It's the same as eircode. Free for the public to use but charged for commercial purposes to be able to look it up in large quantities

• Advertisement

How is the UK one self financing, how does it generate revenue to cover the cost of its maintenance?

It's the same as eircode. Free for the public to use but charged for commercial purposes to be able to look it up in large quantities
    You have to pay for the PAF (Post code Address File)

http://www.poweredbypaf.com/licensing-centre/public/

.... to be 100% clear, the PAF must be licensed by commercial operators, but the hierarchical information in the postcode is completely free to use by anyone commercially or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

They wouldn't have to be assigned randomly or aggregated into larger units. They could be assigned automatically in some way so that neighbouring areas have similar codes. So, if one area has the code D3, then the area to the West of it, would have D2, and the area to the East would have D4. The area to the South would have E3. Small areas aren't regular shapes obviously, but some algorithm could be devised to allocate them in that general kind of way.

Have you ever looked at a map of small areas? Here's one:
    blakestown_Small_Area_DED.jpg

There is very little regularity to them, even in urban areas. I can't see a way of allocating codes to them that would be intuitive. The alternative is to aggregate them into larger areas, and then you're into snobbery territory.

The taxi map would be a useful example if this was 1973. Practically every taxi I see in Dublin has an in-car satnav or a driver using a phone with google maps.

I agree that small areas area great innovation for statistical analysis. They were never designed for ease of delivery in mind and this whole issue is a bit of a red herring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What are the areas in delineated in blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What are the areas in delineated in blue?

A big area :D

.........sorry.

Bray Head wrote: »

There is very little regularity to them, even in urban areas. I can't see a way of allocating codes to them that would be intuitive. The alternative is to aggregate them into larger areas, and then you're into snobbery territory.
    As far as I know, automated software was used to generate the small area map (perhaps with some manual oversight). What we're talking about here is an easier problem to solve than creating the areas in the first place. So, I don't think it's beyond the capabilities of mankind. Even if you did aggregate them as you're suggesting, there is still a hell of a lot of them (over 18,000). So, some kind of automated process is going to be used to number them.

What you've got there in blue looks like an ED and these do change regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

ED's (electoral divisions) don't change very much. (Electoral areas do, but they are different.)

It is a job to group these small areas in a way that makes sense, sure. You deal with any issues people have at local level by a process of public consultation in advance of a final decision.

It is a job to group these small areas in a way that makes sense, sure. You deal with any issues people have at local level by a process of public consultation in advance of a final decision.

You would have to have several hundred consultations nationwide. Essentially the question would boil down to: "Which of your neighbours do you not want to be grouped with forever?". I don't think I need to elaborate on how this would go down. Suggestions like this are a bit like correcting the address problem from scratch. Incredibly costly and would inevitably encounter local resistance.

Getting back to the proposal, small areas (SAs) are very useful to market researchers and demographers. But this is a small bunch of people, even as a share of those who will actively use eircodes. SAs were never designed to generate any kind of local identity and that's probably for the best. They are also of very little practical use to firms in the delivery business as they are too small, too many and too heterogeneous to memorise.

A very simple function will convert a postcode into an SA for the very small number of people who are interested in this. It would not be a manual delivery aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

Have you ever looked at a map of small areas? Here's one:

The taxi map would be a useful example if this was 1973. Practically every taxi I see in Dublin has an in-car satnav or a driver using a phone with google maps.

I agree that small areas area great innovation for statistical analysis. They were never designed for ease of delivery in mind and this whole issue is a bit of a red herring.

If a picture paints a thousand words, a map can sometimes say even more. The example map allows a perfect illustration of the problem of encoding areas into a postcode. If small areas were encoded, then every house in the large small area in the south west of the map would have the same small area identifier in their postcode. Imagine in five years time development has occurred equally in the four corners of the small area. This would result in new small areas being created that divide the existing small area into quarters. Then five years later we find a development has occurred that has effectively extended the town and we need to divide one of the newly created small areas again to take this into account. This may also cross over the newly created boundaries requiring a boundary change to a small area. So a mere six years after launch we will have houses that will have been assigned their third separate postcode (Census 2016 and Census 2021) if we want to encode small areas.

This is inevitable. This is demographics and geography. This is the negative by-product of encoding any hierarchy in the postcode. It is literally impossible to future proof unless you negatively affect the design of small areas themselves. Small areas were created and will be maintained for statistical analysis purposes. The postcode design cannot be a factor in determining how small areas are maintained, that would be the tail wagging the dog. In my opinion a lower cost random postcode that doesn't need to change is the better solution. I'll leave it as a exercise for the reader to ponder the problems associated with sequencing if that was built in as well.

I would agree with antoinolachtnai that any public grouping would require local consent. Where we may disagree is whether the cost and delay to the project would pass a cost benefit analysis test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Unfortunately that would cut through the middle of housing estates, group houses that are either side of rivers, railway lines, etc. that shouldn't be grouped together. It would not help An Post to sort mail manually. It is the worst solution on offer which is why it was rejected as early as it was in the process.

• Advertisement

You would have to have several hundred consultations nationwide. Essentially the question would boil down to: "Which of your neighbours do you not want to be grouped with forever?". I don't think I need to elaborate on how this would go down. Suggestions like this are a bit like correcting the address problem from scratch. Incredibly costly and would inevitably encounter local resistance.
    I think there would be problems with that too. But at the same time, I think it may be overstated, in order to justify the present design. Other countries have coped with this "problem".
    Getting back to the proposal, small areas (SAs) are very useful to market researchers and demographers. But this is a small bunch of people, even as a share of those who will actively use eircodes. SAs were never designed to generate any kind of local identity and that's probably for the best. They are also of very little practical use to firms in the delivery business as they are too small, too many and too heterogeneous to memorise.
    If we are to compare this with the UK, I think it would be reasonable to produce a dataset that contains the location of each SA, and release it for free. This happens under the OS Open Data program in the UK. There is a huge difference between data that is licensed at a low cost, and data that is completely free. Free data means you would have people writing software (eg a multiplicity of mobile apps) that are free as well. Premium versions might also exist based on the premium/licensed datasets.

I still maintain that SA's allocated in some kind of sequential order would be useful without software for all kinds of purposes, but if a rudimentary database of area co-ordinates is free, then there will be a plethora of software that does basic routing functions. People can even cook up their own useful "tools" such as entering lists of postcodes in a spreadsheet and just sorting them, giving you a rough order.

Organisations that need more sophisticated/detailed routing or identification capabilities will license the commercial products.

Even if we didn't release the data for free initially, we would have the possibility of differentiating between free data and commercial data some time in the future. With the current random code, it's all or nothing.

From tomorrow's Examiner:

111.jpg

And the story: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/group-warns-of-postcode-project-dangers-306869.html
    Joe Leogue wrote:
    A digital rights advocacy group has echoed the Data Protection Commissioner’s privacy concerns about the new postcode and has warned Communications Minister Alex White that his department is "taking a dangerous and needless step into the unknown" with the €27m Eircode project.....
    In a letter to Mr White, Antoin O’Lachtnain of Digital Rights Ireland said the group is “puzzled as to how the firmly conveyed views of the Data Protection Commissioner about individual house coding were put to one side when the requirements for the code were totally revised without consultation in 2010”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Even Hollywood couldn't make it up! Honestly to believe that postcodes are "taking a dangerous and needless step into the unknown" and bringing us into "completely uncharted waters". Man landed on the moon almost 50 years ago!

DRI don't seem much concerned about the 35% of households with non-unique addresses that currently have no privacy rights as service delivery people cannot find their houses without asking locals.

The journalist has written a very biased piece and it worries me, for the future of the paper, that the Examiner editor approved it.

"A digital rights advocacy group" so we know two or more people don't like the idea of Eircode, for all we know the group is just another voice of Loc8.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

clewbays wrote: »
    Even Hollywood couldn't make it up! Honestly to believe that postcodes are "taking a dangerous and needless step into the unknown" and bringing us into "completely uncharted waters". Man landed on the moon almost 50 years ago!

DRI don't seem much concerned about the 35% of households with non-unique addresses that currently have no privacy rights as service delivery people cannot find their houses without asking locals.

The journalist has written a very biased piece and it worries me, for the future of the paper, that the Examiner editor approved it.

That article has an almost complete absence of facts. What exactly are DRI complaining about ? What risks are they perceiving ? What dangerous scenarios do they envisage ?

As I understand it, the Eircode is an encoded version of your address. If you don't want someone to know your address, don't give it to them. Although they can probably find it out anyway, by one of the existing mechanisms (phone book, electoral register, ringing you claiming to be a courier trying to deliver something, following you home).

What's the incremental risk here ?

And I take,strongly, the point about unique addresses. I have a holiday home in West Cork that's being rented out for the winter. I registered the tenancy with the PTRB, and tried to look it up on their website, to be sure the registration had gone through. There are several possibilities, but I genuinely don't know if the house is listed or not. It has about 4 different addresses, and some of the possibilities could be variants of it's addresses, but I'm not sure. And this is a house I own.

I think you are misrepresenting the letter. DRI is not by any means opposed to a code that goes down to individual house level and this is clearly stated. There are privacy advantages to a code that goes down to the individual home.

The letter is at http://www.digitalrights.ie/dri/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/letter-re-eircode-to-minister.pdf . There is a shortened version at http://www.digitalrights.ie/761/
    "A digital rights advocacy group" so we know two or more people don't like the idea of Eircode, for all we know the group is just another voice of Loc8.

Can you stand this up? Or else withdraw it?
    What's the incremental risk here ?

It isn't really about risk. It's about uncertainty. It is very hard to anticipate what issues will arise because there is no benchmark to measure by. The uncertainty is needless.

One obvious issue is household-level targeting of web advertising.

A second obvious issue is accuracy. The plan to distribute eircodes to homes begs the question. A significant proportion of homes will get the wrong eircode and this has all sorts of safety implications.

No clear reason has been put forward not to follow at least something like international best and accepted practice in relation to a postcode.

Can you stand this up? Or else withdraw it?

You seem to be in a perfect position to tell us how many members the group have.

You said that DRI is a front for Loc8. Can you stand that up?

• Advertisement

You said that DRI is a front for Loc8. Can you stand that up?

No I didn't but I am interested in how many people the DRI as a lobby group speak for because they don't speak for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement