Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

yuloni wrote: »
    I don't send you abusive PM's over on the broadband forums so why would I send them to you here! My contribution to boards speaks for itself. Were I sending abusive PM's, I'd be banned?

No doubt, just a little excited by the latest twist in the whole eircode saga :)

Agreed, we'll keep on topic

There's no twist. Your head had created something that doesn't exisit.

And you wouldn't be banned if you created new reg accounts. For your sake I hope you can prove another way you found out that info. Otherwise I've proven you've created new reg accounts to abuse people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Incorrect once again ukoda

Multiple reg's are not allowed on boards and the mods detect and ban them all the time. Further, any mod is more than welcome to read my PM's if they so wish and lets hope they like talking about broadband networks, GPON, telecoms, VoIP and all that

See I know this is bugging you. I am wholly against eircode yet I'm not connected to anyone involved in this debacle, in fact I don't even work in the industry... and my 1,639 posts prove it if you still have doubts! Capita seem to be underestimating (amongst other things) the swell of dissent that will finally spell an end to their pipe-dream

Im pro eircode and have no connection to the project nor do I work in the industry either. im happy to debate the pros and cons of eircode but I draw the line when things get ridiculous and people make mountains out of molehills and drag the thread off topic for their own entertainment. I've been a user here since 2008 and have posted in many many other threads.

Theres a swell of hatred on this thread alright. But it doesn't spill much further into the real world.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, it does spill over. Look over the comments for any news article written about the subject and you get a taste of the public's opinion on eircode. And yes, I know you will come back and say, as in the past, well it's that guy in Cork who's posting all that... but come on!

Anyways, back on topic. Capita have the contract for a year now and yet there's nothing to show for it, not even a piece of sample data only a product guide that was then withdrawn. Until such time as you can make statements that eircode "has" or "is" instead of eircode "will", it's not happening

Yet you feel you have the right to say it IS a disaster before it even launches? But I can't use present tense. Haha.

And yeah it is that crowd in loc8 and other people with sour grapes. That's obvious from reading the comments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A few situations that might arise.

1. A person wants to move from 3, Eastwards St, Dublin 4, to 58, Westward Road Dublin 4. Will he be able to take his Eircode with him, as it will make life easier for him with regard to redirecting mail, etc.? The new occupier would get a new, randomised, code,

2. Surprise, surprise. A person finds that their Eircode has been accessed by a crook, and now he considers his privacy/security has been compromised. Will he be able to get a new, uncompromised, Eircode?

3. Will vanity Eircodes be permitted. For example, will RTE be allowed D04 RTE1, D04 RTE2, etc.? Or a pet shop be allowed D04 PETS? Or other inventive but sort of useful variations. [D01 CRO1 for the Companies Office; D02 TAX1, or D01 REV1 for the Revenue Commissioners; etc. etc.]

4. Will anyone be allowed to appeal their Eircode if they do not like it? [e.g. A01 B0LX, or B03 EJ1T]

Is there a regulator to sort these type of situations out or is it just Capita?

A few situations that might arise.

1. A person wants to move from 3, Eastwards St, Dublin 4, to 58, Westward Road Dublin 4. Will he be able to take his Eircode with him, as it will make life easier for him with regard to redirecting mail, etc.? The new occupier would get a new, randomised, code,

2. Surprise, surprise. A person finds that their Eircode has been accessed by a crook, and now he considers his privacy/security has been compromised. Will he be able to get a new, uncompromised, Eircode?

3. Will vanity Eircodes be permitted. For example, will RTE be allowed D04 RTE1, D04 RTE2, etc.? Or a pet shop be allowed D04 PETS? Or other inventive but sort of useful variations. [D01 CRO1 for the Companies Office; D02 TAX1, or D01 REV1 for the Revenue Commissioners; etc. etc.]

4. Will anyone be allowed to appeal their Eircode if they do not like it? [e.g. A01 B0LX, or B03 EJ1T]

Is there a regulator to sort these type of situations out or is it just Capita?

Eircode is your address.
    If you move you don't bring your address with you.
    If you don't like your address you don't get to appeal it for a new one.
    If a crook gets your address you don't get a new one.

What on earth kind of craziness are you diving into here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, a neighbour built a new house next door to his own and took his address with him. I still think there should be a regulator for Eircode - to sort out issues with the codes and to keep an eye on the prices to be charged for any aspect of the Eircode project.

@ UKODA You appear to have a large amount of information on how Capita operate - a lot more than is in the public domain. You also have a very strong interest in this topic. One might be forgiven for thinking you have a vested interest in Eircode or in Capita. 7 mins to reply to my post!

Actually, a neighbour built a new house next door to his own and took his address with him. I still think there should be a regulator for Eircode - to sort out issues with the codes and to keep an eye on the prices to be charged for any aspect of the Eircode project.

@ UKODA You appear to have a large amount of information on how Capita operate - a lot more than is in the public domain. You also have a very strong interest in this topic. One might be forgiven for thinking you have a vested interest in Eircode or in Capita. 7 mins to reply to my post!

if it was a rural area it was probably the same address anyway!

And what i said is my opinion, for all i know eircode could be planning a "bring your code/address with you" scheme. but if they are....its the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

One shall forgive you for mistakenly thinking i know more than anyone else on here.

I fully agree that there should be a regulator to keep an eye on things so eircode don't do anything stupid (like vanity codes or moving codes when people move)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are capita getting fined or is there any clawback due to their delay?

ukoda wrote: »
    if it was a rural area it was probably the same address anyway!

It was in Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ukoda wrote: »
    I fully agree that there should be a regulator to keep an eye on things so eircode don't do anything stupid (like vanity codes or moving codes when people move)

What's Wrong with "Vanity Code", they would be easier for people to Remember and an extra revenue stream.

What's Wrong with "Vanity Code", they would be easier for people to Remember and an extra revenue stream.

Personally I think it would be a waste of resources to manage it and open the door to huge amounts of people trying to buy "better" codes. Meaning more updates to the database required meaning more chance that codes wont be on sat navs or Google maps as they won't update them that regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Can't see vanity codes being a problem. If the damn thing is random anyway, why not?

It's one of the few advantages that a random code might have. Telephone companies allow "Golden Numbers". That's why you get taxi companies with memorable landline numbers.

No reason why you couldn't do similar with Eircode as they're no more specific to a given street than a phone number on a specific exchange.

I rather like the idea that RTE for example could get D04 RTE1 and D04 RTE2.

I think it could make the Eircode much more acceptable to businesses and to the general public - even sexy.

Might even encourage people to write letters again instead of emails.

Are capita getting fined or is there any clawback due to their delay?

Did they not say the hold up was to allow for legislation? The government can hardly fine them if the delay is caused by them, I'm not sure this is the case, but I thought that's what Liam Duggan said in his newstalk interview?

It was in Dublin 4

Then it was crazy to for An Post to allow this. I guess having them regulated doesn't stop them doing crazy things.

I rather like the idea that RTE for example could get D04 RTE1 and D04 RTE2.

I think it could make the Eircode much more acceptable to businesses and to the general public - even sexy.

Might even encourage people to write letters again instead of emails.
    Perhaps the head post office in each town could have the postcode, ATH POST for Athlone for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Perhaps the head post office in each town could have the postcode, ATH POST for Athlone for example.

Why though?
    Not very many people would be writing to the post office.

I can understand it for things that people may have to write to regularly. (Very few things these days)

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Why though?
    Not very many people would be writing to the post office.
    Vanity! Just like year numbers on cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Caita in trouble in Britain - claims of overcharging and making late payments under government investigation.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/britain-investigates-capita-complaints-312144.html

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Impetus wrote: »
    Caita in trouble in Britain - claims of overcharging and making late payments under government investigation.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/britain-investigates-capita-complaints-312144.html

Hmm its hard to not think that the Irish Examiner have a ulterior motive in publishing this news piece. I can think of about 50 examples of late payments by large companies, yet they are not newsworthy. Are they trying to imply something in context of Eircode?

Shock horror - the experts in Irish addressing and compilers of a national address database were consulted heavily. That explains why the Eircode design is the so good :pac:

Did they? Or do the other end users have demands that don't tackle the problem of designing a postcode for IRELAND? It seems they want their UK systems to work with little changes for their Irish markets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

It seems they want their UK systems to work with little changes for their Irish markets...

I doubt this is the reason, Eircode has little resemblance to the UK postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Wasn't there a complaint to the EC about the whole process? Any result?

The Capita piece is presumably because Capita owns SWS in Bandon/Clon who are presunably using local people?

B

• Advertisement

I doubt this is the reason, Eircode has little resemblance to the UK postcode.

That's what he's referring to. The freight companies are annoyed that eircode isn't the same as the UK system. So they have thrown their toys out of the pram that they will have to invest in a system for Ireland in order to be able to use eircodes.

The system they currently use for the UK has been claimed to be outdated and the freight company's have been accused of being too tight to upgrade their systems for both the UK and to include eircodes.

So they are anti eircode. Because they basically wanted us to use the same as the UK cos that would require no effort on thier part, so instead of investing in Ireland so they can use eircodes and reap the rewards. They are just b*tching about it "being useless"

EDIT: it's only the UK freight companies btw that have an issue. An Post and Nightline (the 2 companies that deliver more packages in Ireland than all the others combined) fully back eircode.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement