Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Browsing the comments and theres a lot of positive ones, "badly needed" "can't wait" and the likes

And appearing on TV shows is part of "thier own" marketing, it's called PR and as a result 700+ people (so far) have shared this to their Facebook newsfeed, meaning eircode have reached 1000's (probably 10,000's) of people with a pro eircode message... Yeah they really made a bollix of it didn't they....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

recedite wrote: »
    Is Daithi keeping one of the tablets for himself, because he says you get a chance to win ONE of them.
    These guys are really pulling out all the stops now, no expense spared :D

There'll be a half an hour segment on the Late Late next. Which is probably more entertaining than the usual bile they have on there. It's slowly turning into the Krusty the Clown show without the funny bits. Why am I saying slowly? It has been dire for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

He said notification to addresses starting early June and completed by end June, imminent now :)

Was just thinking that the 2 presenters basically reacted to eircode the same way the rest of the country will

Yay I'll be easier to find
    Great no more entering 00000 in the postcode field on Amazon/eBay etc
    No more embarrassment I don't have a postcode
    Emergency services will find be faster

Etc etc.

Like I predicted before. No one will give a flying **** if its hierarchical or not. They'll be told this is your postcode and away they'll go using it wherever they can.

Sorry lads but your doomsday prediction of the code failing and no one using it is falling apart.

ukoda wrote: »
    Was just thinking that the 2 presenters basically reacted to eircode the same way the rest of the country will

Yay I'll be easier to find
    Great no more entering 00000 in the postcode field on Amazon/eBay etc
    No more embarrassment I don't have a postcode
    Emergency services will find be faster

Etc etc.

Like I predicted before. No one will give a flying **** if its hierarchical or not. They'll be told this is your postcode and away they'll go using it wherever they can.

Sorry lads but your doomsday prediction of the code failing and no one using it is falling apart.

Unless the letter of notification gets lost in the post. :P
    On a personal note, yay! Postcodes! I might finally get my letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

I have published the latest versions of the technical spec for the Eircode Address Database and the Eircode Address File for you to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pro eircode propaganda piece on RTE 1 television now saying it will be the best in the world blah blah blah

Seriousy what's with the negative posting.

Whether you like the code or not , its not in crisis like you doomsayers like to make out that it is and it's normal that they would go on TV to promote the launch and make people aware of it as the launch time nears. Unlike the anoraks on here (with their hoods up of course to protect their precious privacy that Eircode is going to destroy!) the majority of people are not aware they are getting a postcode.
    Is Daithi keeping one of the tablets for himself, because he says you get a chance to win ONE of them.
    These guys are really pulling out all the stops now, no expense spared :D

As an entrant can only win one tablet and not both so there will be two winners....simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

murpho999 wrote: »
    As an entrant can only win one tablet and not both so there will be two winners....simple really.
    Unless Daithi enters the competition under a different name, and then awards himself the tablet. Then there is only one winner.

A bit like like the way those who designed the government postcode tender were also bidding for it, and against all odds managed to win it ;)

But as they said afterwards, it would have been a pity to let all their "expertise" be wasted, just because of a minor conflict of interest.

Unless Daithi enters the competition under a different name, and then awards himself the tablet. Then there is only one winner.

A bit like like the way those who designed the government postcode tender were also bidding for it, and against all odds managed to win it ;)

But as they said afterwards, it would have been a pity to let all their "expertise" be wasted, just because of a minor conflict of interest.

And let's just hope that another brand of tablet dont throw their toys out of the pram and start a hate campaign because their tablet wasn't picked for the competition.

Launch seems to be ramping up, good few news articles today about "you'll be gettin your postcode soon"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

long_b wrote: »

'But Joe....My postcode's got the letter F in it and I don't like the letter F. This is disgraceful. It needs to be changed...'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Scrub Eircode.... This

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32444811

:eek:

Looks like a version of LOC8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Looks like a version of LOC8
    I think someone mentioned it on this thread already. it's like loc8 and all the other ones that are based on encoding of geo-coordinates. What's novel about this one is the recognition that words have enormous variety, but a high level of memorability as well, But it would never work as a postcode given the hassle of writing them down on envelopes and as with loc8 et al, it doesn't work as a unique property identifier.

plodder wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned it on this thread already. it's like loc8 and all the other ones that are based on encoding of geo-coordinates. What's novel about this one is the recognition that words have enormous variety, but a high level of memorability as well, But it would never work as a postcode given the hassle of writing them down on envelopes and as with loc8 et al, it doesn't work as a unique property identifier.

That's the key drawback of loc8, I really truly believe a postcode needs an address database attached to it to work across all indistries that have need for postcodes, a national postcode just can't work with a different code for every 3m squared patch of land, it needs to be attached to the address database.

It's funny how loc8 have been pushing the "no database needed" element of loc8, yet the first thing they did when ECAD came out was add their codes to that database....

It would really be a messy nightmare to have both a freely generated loc8 and one assigned to an address, each house could have multiple codes and businesses would have a nightmare trying to use address validation and unique identifiers.

Loc8 has a use for the times you might want to pin point something on a map. But definitely not as a national postcode.

It would really be a messy nightmare to have both a freely generated loc8 and one assigned to an address, each house could have multiple codes and businesses would have a nightmare trying to use address validation and unique identifiers.
    Not really, because only one code would be designated as the official unique identifier for the house or main building.
    A farmer could then generate any additional codes which would facilitate deliveries to barns or milking parlours. A hotel could give guests the location code for the car park entrance round the back, instead of just a code linked to a "centroid" (being some notional point on the centre of the roof).

Not really, because only one code would be designated as the official unique identifier for the house or main building.
    A farmer could then generate any additional codes which would facilitate deliveries to barns or milking parlours. A hotel could give guests the location code for the car park entrance round the back, instead of just a code linked to a "centroid" (being some notional point on the centre of the roof).

Messy. Dealing with numerous codes for one address, farmer gives the wrong code on the phone to a company "sorry this code doesn't validate" "erm hold on so, try this one, wait hold on, I wrote it down somewhere" Call centre takes a code from a customer thinking it's their house, happens to be the next square over and not their offical validated code, now they have a wrong code on file and if they try validate these codes against a database it'll be "no match found" they'll be sending out letters with unofficial codes, etc etc it would get extremely messy!! Insurance company looking to see if multiple claims from the one address...can't do it because one house could have loads of codes, in one application I give one code, in the next I give another code, I can validate one, but not the other, messy messy messy. Should be 1 address 1 code. Easy. And if I can find the hotel I'll be able to find the entrance to the car park, it's never been an issue for me

It's just saying "No, I don't want to use the official codes, i want to make up my own codes!".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Interesting way to sabotage the whole Eircode project - protesters simply put random codes into their address. Simples.

• Advertisement

Interesting way to sabotage the whole Eircode project - protesters simply put random codes into their address. Simples.

they'd only be causing themselves hassle while the rest of the country benefits. The An Post scanners are being adapted to read the code, so they risk delays in delivery and people not being able to find them. Parcel delivery delays etc, pretty silly idea to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I ordered my shopping between 2 and 4. Where the hell is it.

Ans. Was sent up to Caven as you requested Mr Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

You're back to having a database of all the official codes then. Though you wouldn't need the database for satnav navigation purposes which is a benefit, but there would be potential for confusion between the official and non-official postcodes.

plodder wrote: »
    You're back to having a database of all the official codes then. Though you wouldn't need the database for satnav navigation purposes which is a benefit, but there would be potential for confusion between the official and non-official postcodes.
    There is going to be a database anyway for the official "unique identifier" codes. That is a political decision, the govt. will need to keep track of each taxable property entity (or letterbox I think is the preferred terminology) for water charges, property tax, rental income, inheritance taxes etc..

In addition to that, the system could have been made flexible enough to be user friendly for navigation and other purposes, but it wasn't.

"Eircode; better than nothing"

There is going to be a database anyway for the official "unique identifier" codes. That is a political decision, the govt. will need to keep track of each taxable property entity (or letterbox I think is the preferred terminology) for water charges, property tax, rental income, inheritance taxes etc..

In addition to that, the system could have been made flexible enough to be user friendly for navigation and other purposes, but it wasn't.

"Eircode; better than nothing"

Every taxable home already has a Unique Property ID. For the Local Property Tax, they also have PPSN and tax reference numbers. revenue don't need any help from another code to know who to tax.

and even if eircode was solely for that purpose (which it's not) ...Wouldn't it be just awful to have a government being more efficient in collecting taxes and catching tax dodgers. The absolute horror, imagine the government making savings in expenditure of my tax money. Who the hell do they think they are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I 100% guarantee you though that UK companies will be saying "I'm sorry that postcode isn't valid." and "computa says no!" for many years to come.

I had a call centre agent yesterday telling me that 00 353 85 isn't a mobile number and that my mobile number needed to start with 07

Every taxable home already has a Unique Property ID. For the Local Property Tax, they also have PPSN and tax reference numbers. revenue don't need any help from another code to know who to tax.
    As you well know, that "unique ID" assigned to everyone who registered for property tax is simply a reference number and cannot be linked to a particular house by an inspector on the ground.
    For the same reason, Irish Water are asking people what colour their front doors are painted.
    And when they start inspecting septic tanks, it will be the same story.

Houses inspected and assessed for BER certificates are matched to the MPRN numbers because currently MPRN numbers are the nearest to a unique identifier.
    MPRNs are also checked by the solicitor during conveyancing as part of the "search" to establish title and ID

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

they'd only be causing themselves hassle while the rest of the country benefits. The An Post scanners are being adapted to read the code, so they risk delays in delivery and people not being able to find them. Parcel delivery delays etc, pretty silly idea to be honest.

I am not thinking of this for helpful uses, but for the likes of Irish Water and other unpopular gatherers of data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I am not thinking of this for helpful uses, but for the likes of Irish Water and other unpopular gatherers of data.

It could also make legal complications around property sales much cheaper and more straight forward and should avoid confused deliveries.

• Advertisement

It would be the same as sending the wrong PPS number in to Revenue.
    Whats the point? Its just going to come back to you. And then they will put a little note on your file; "watch this guy extra closely".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement