Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

plodder wrote: »
    I think it's most unlikely that they will offer an open-ended license for 60 euros a year for it though. :)

Maybe not, they haven't been very forthcoming with its existence let alone the price

But thinking about it, the revenue generation model is that of the UK postcode, which as we know gives away free parts of the database that's needed for apps and navigation and the like, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for eircode to have a fairly low price for the App building data. It is after all in their interest to get as many app developers on board as possible to make apps using eircode to secure a faster adoption of the code and promote it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ukoda wrote: »
    Maybe not, they haven't been very forthcoming with its existence let alone the price

But thinking about it, the revenue generation model is that of the UK postcode, which as we know gives away free parts of the database that's needed for apps and navigation and the like, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for eircode to have a fairly low price for the App building data. It is after all in their interest to get as many app developers on board as possible to make apps using eircode to secure a faster adoption of the code and promote it.

One can only hope, though with anything public in Ireland, you wouldn't wonder because its designed by people with a grasp of money like Rain Man. The thought that people might frown at shelling out big bucks for an app that can look up postcodes vs Google maps won't even enter their heads, not paid to think about that side of it, not my job, etc...

One can only hope, though with anything public in Ireland, you wouldn't wonder because its designed by people with a grasp of money like Rain Man. The thought that people might frown at shelling out big bucks for an app that can look up postcodes vs Google maps won't even enter their heads, not paid to think about that side of it, not my job, etc...

I'm sure Google will be straight in their to embed eircode in their own apps tho.

I'm more thinking of the "what services are near me" type app using a customers eircode to bring back listings locally.

Google themselves will have zero issues shelling out whatever money they need to in order get eircode access. They will literally gobble up any data they can. I don't think we will have to wait long to be able to type our eircode into google maps and get a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

1st April, 2015

An Post have announced a new “Dublin 4E” postcode demarcation for the Ringsend and Irishtown areas.

The measure comes into force with regard to the new Eircode postcode markings system. Eircode identifies every household in the country with a unique postcode number.

The new Dublin 4E postcode is applicable from today. Ringsend and Irishtown will end its 98-year historical association with Dublin 4 and enter the new era of the “E”.

In more revelations it has emerged that certain Donnybrook residents lobbied Eircode for the new Ringsend and Irishtown 4E postcode to be created. One Ailesbury Road resident was caught remarking at the press conference announcement that “we’re going to make a roight lot of cash out of this, Bradley”, no doubt referring to more property price rises.

Some Ringsend residents were not too happy with the changes, with one local forcefully stating that this was a perfect opportunity for a “Dublin R” and that they wouldn’t be paying the charges. When reminded that there will be no charges for this new code, protester Carrie Oakey informed NewsFour, “oh yeah, so you think stamps are free then?”

The 4E move mirrors the Dublin 6W measure in the Terenure and Kimmage areas which sought to resist their inclusion in Dublin 12 zone. Although these residents wanted to stay in that particular zone, an attempt to kick a region “out” of a postcode has never been successfully completed until now, although Clontarf came close to removing East Wall from Dublin 3 in ’77.
    It is thought there will be a march to protest the new move. The Gardaí have informed NewsFour that there will probably be two marches. One march will protest against the changes, while another group will protest the missed opportunity for a Dublin R code. The two marches will have to be kept apart due the risk of throwing letters at each other. It will be a tough day for the new recruits of Irishtown Gardaí.

clewbays wrote: »
    7th May, 2015

An Post have announced a new “Dublin 4E” postcode demarcation for the Ringsend and Irishtown areas.

The measure comes into force with regard to the new Eircode postcode markings system. Eircode identifies every household in the country with a unique postcode number.

The new Dublin 4E postcode is applicable from today. Ringsend and Irishtown will end its 98-year historical association with Dublin 4 and enter the new era of the “E”.

In more revelations it has emerged that certain Donnybrook residents lobbied Eircode for the new Ringsend and Irishtown 4E postcode to be created. One Ailesbury Road resident was caught remarking at the press conference announcement that “we’re going to make a roight lot of cash out of this, Bradley”, no doubt referring to more property price rises.

Some Ringsend residents were not too happy with the changes, with one local forcefully stating that this was a perfect opportunity for a “Dublin R” and that they wouldn’t be paying the charges. When reminded that there will be no charges for this new code, protester Carrie Oakey informed NewsFour, “oh yeah, so you think stamps are free then?”

The 4E move mirrors the Dublin 6W measure in the Terenure and Kimmage areas which sought to resist their inclusion in Dublin 12 zone. Although these residents wanted to stay in that particular zone, an attempt to kick a region “out” of a postcode has never been successfully completed until now, although Clontarf came close to removing East Wall from Dublin 3 in ’77.
    It is thought there will be a march to protest the new move. The Gardaí have informed NewsFour that there will probably be two marches. One march will protest against the changes, while another group will protest the missed opportunity for a Dublin R code. The two marches will have to be kept apart due the risk of throwing letters at each other. It will be a tough day for the new recruits of Irishtown Gardaí.

You realise this is an Aprils fools joke? Not real

• Advertisement

Yes, but we will probably have some of it in real soon.

Yes, but we will probably have some of it in real soon.

What?

Once the post towns are released, there is bound to be lobbying for reclassification. Any changes would severely damage implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Once the post towns are released, there is bound to be lobbying for reclassification. Any changes would severely damage implementation.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wasn't D6W also an April Foll's joke that was taken seriously and implemented.

• Advertisement

You might want to take some time to educate yourself on the topic you're posting on, Instead of posting an Aprils fools joke from over a month ago and putting today's date on it.

No....is there a full moon tonight or something?! People have lost the run of themselves.

You might want to take some time to educate yourself on the topic you're posting on, Instead of posting an Aprils fools joke from over a month ago and putting today's date on it.

You may need to take some time off from lecturing and brush up on human psychology.

No....is there a full moon tonight or something?! People have lost the run of themselves.

I would not be surprised.
    There once was an old wife's tale that the number 13 was unlucky.
    The stupidity of the people who actually believed that was only surpassed by the government ministers who actually went along with this unbelievable pile of horsehsh*t and along came the 131/132 numberplates.
    Human stupidity is the only thing in existence that is truly limitless. The best examples seem to get themselves elected into government. The best way would be to have elections, shoot the people that win and give power to the next guy who walks past. I think the result can only be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ryanair are so stupid also, they've no row13 on their planes the fools!

That's not exclusive to Ryanair! In fact it's pretty common on most airlines

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

And in many US tower blocks. The air conditioning and other facilities are put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I wonder what are the chances someone would leak them early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're actually quite clever.

The row 13 thing isn't a big deal in the Irish market, but in certain markets they fly into it is, so it probably makes sense for them.

Remember, Ryanair's market is not primarily Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

You are talking about it all the same and advertising for them. Ryanair expanding every year. I'm not sure they are the stupid ones at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Maybe I should have added some extra smilies or sarcasm tags...

Anyway, anyone know what eircodes' eircode is? I'd like to write a letter to them. They have no "contact us" link or email address on the eircode.ie website...

I personally find that annoying. It's just silly.
    But I think there's a difference between not calling it a row 13 and re-jigging the vehicle licensing system of an entire country to avoid having the number 13 on the reg.
    Only 13 is still on the reg, adding a 1 doesn't change that. Just so silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I personally find that annoying. It's just silly.
    But I think there's a difference between not calling it a row 13 and re-jigging the vehicle licensing system of an entire country to avoid having the number 13 on the reg.
    Only 13 is still on the reg, adding a 1 doesn't change that. Just so silly.

That was nothing to do with avoiding the number 13, nor did it avoid it.

The motor industry wanted to avoid the end-of-year rush and split car sales into the summer and winter.

All their sales were happening ahead of the January rush to get a new reg.

SpaceTime wrote: »

The motor industry wanted to avoid the end-of-year rush and split car sales into the summer and winter.

So now it's a second hand banger after 6 months, rather than a year. :P

i just had a thought when eircode is in place all you would need to do is put the eircode on a envelope and it will get delivered as each building will be unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

irishgeo wrote: »
    i just had a thought when eircode is in place all you would need to do is put the eircode on a envelope and it will get delivered as each building will be unique.

'cept - the post man on the road would have no idea which house on his route its for.

..unless all postmen get new handheld computers - (unions will have a field day with the bonuses for training required on that) - or the sorting office handwrites the address for you.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    'cept - the post man on the road would have no idea which house on his route its for.

..unless all postmen get new handheld computers - (unions will have a field day with the bonuses for training required on that) - or the sorting office handwrites the address for you.

true , i forget about that. the postman already has a computer though. my mate done it and on his route he had to scan each roadside letter box as he opened it to show he opened it. he couldnt open the next one if he hadnt scanned the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

long_b wrote: »
    Thought I read on here that businesses will have to pay to have access to the database to get your location from your postcode?
    Can't see any free apps coming for small couriers etc if that's the case?
    Yup you pay for access if you're a business. Don't worry up until a few years ago you'd to pay for any access to the UK postcode and there was plenty of apps floating around, it's a return on investment scenario, spend the money and deliver a better service. And access to the database is priced to be well within the reach of any small business.

Surely that can't be right? If you're a small courier, and you have the eircode for an address, then you could just go online to their website or google or whatever, enter the eirocde and it would show you the location? Isn't that how it's meant to work?

So it would be very easy to develop an app with the codes and coordinates behind it that you could have on your phone, enter the code and it would show you the location? For a small business doing low volume of deliveries that would be the way to go. Or enter into your Garmin or TomTom satnav if they get the database of codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

SpaceTime wrote: »

<offtopic>
    So, what did they do? Only copy the UK (as usual). So, instead of one annual rush, we now have two. :) Putting the year on license plates is a stupid anachronism which created the whole snob effect in the first place. I don't think any other country does it apart from the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement