Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, what they are saying is that An Post increased it parcel traffic by 6% because of the eCommerce business growth. Also, they had free access to the database that competitors had to pay for, and paid for access was necessary because of the unstructured and random nature of the Eircode postcode system. This they claim is anti-competitive.

A point made many times here.

No claim was made as to prices of postal or parcel delivery, besides Eircode has yet to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No, what they are saying is that An Post increased it parcel traffic by 6% because of the eCommerce business growth. Also, they had free access to the database that competitors had to pay for, and paid for access was necessary because of the unstructured and random nature of the Eircode postcode system. This they claim is anti-competitive.

A point made many times here.

No claim was made as to prices of postal or parcel delivery, besides Eircode has yet to launch.

an post built and maintain the geodirectory. should they give it out for free to everyone. i dont see loc8 doing that. Hoestly the maoung of whinging the loc8 crowd have done.

loc8 codes are not sequential either which seems to be a bugbear of everyone about eircode. i honestly cant wait it to launch so people can get used to it and then 2 months later wonder how they lived with out it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

irishgeo wrote: »
    an post built and maintain the geodirectory. should they give it out for free to everyone. i dont see loc8 doing that. Hoestly the maoung of whinging the loc8 crowd have done.

loc8 codes are not sequential either which seems to be a bugbear of everyone about eircode. i honestly cant wait it to launch so people can get used to it and then 2 months later wonder how they lived with out it.

An Post are being paid for the geodirectory. Loc8 offered their code for free.

I know nothing about loc8, but all code have boundaries, but Eircode by design is random. No two adjacent Eircodes bear any relationship to the one next to it. That is what non-sequential means. Most loc8 codes (like most postcodes) are sequential with most of its neighbours, but clearly not all.

My only interest is to oppose the stupid design that is Eircode. I do not believe it is possible to design a more stupid code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

An Post are being paid for the geodirectory. Loc8 offered their code for free.

Loc8 offered their algorithm for free, which is only a bit of code that takes 1 set of numbers and converts it to another set of alpha numeric codes. its not a postcode and would not have saved any money. The idea that we could have had a "free postcode" if we used Loc8 is totally misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

My only interest is to oppose the stupid design that is Eircode.

By what's the point now? It's happening - everyone posting here against it will achieve nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MBSnr wrote: »
    By what's the point now? It's happening - everyone posting here against it will achieve nothing.

The only interest of some people is to be against everything and anything.
    New roads, law reforms, Irish water, gay marriage, abortion, divorce, the junior cert, Fina Gael, Fina Fail, any political parties, the Angelus, anything being built anywhere (*), pay increases, pay cuts, government, no government, daylight savings time, bananas, apples, oranges, the EU, multinationals, trains, planes, automobiles, it has become fashionable to have an all consuming cause and to protest and simply be against something. No matter what.

These people are called BANANAS, Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone

The only interest of some people is to be against everything and anything.
    New roads, law reforms, Irish water, gay marriage, abortion, divorce, the junior cert, Fina Gael, Fina Fail, any political parties, the Angelus, anything being built anywhere (*), pay increases, pay cuts, government, no government, daylight savings time, bananas, apples, oranges, the EU, multinationals, trains, planes, automobiles, it has become fashionable to have an all consuming cause and to protest and simply be against something. No matter what.

These people are called BANANAS, Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone

Yes armchair ranting on the internet. "I have a point and it must be communicated incessantly to those who I *think* don't understand or share my point of view..."

Looking forward to this thread having less and less posts from July onwards and perhaps being locked - being as they 'are introduced' and not 'to be introduced'.... :D

Yes armchair ranting on the internet. "I have a point and it must be communicated incessantly to those who I *think* don't understand or share my point of view..."

Looking forward to this thread having less and less posts from July onwards and perhaps being locked - being as they 'are introduced' and not 'to be introduced'.... :D

Was thinking about starting a thread "Eircode" for discussion on the actual code and its introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Does anyone know what happened to the legislation that was promised and was supposedly needed for this? Are they going ahead without it? Or did I miss it being enacted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No two adjacent Eircodes bear any relationship to the one next to it. That is what non-sequential means. Most loc8 codes (like most postcodes) are sequential
    Yes, and the precise terminology is "concatenated".

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    Yeah and putting small areas on a postcode is a stupid idea creating a snob effect. Stupid government never learn...oh wait we didn't do it that way this time.
    Large areas are what create the snob effect. If you were just outside posh area A and want to associate yourself with it, you might want the boundary redrawn to include you, because to a large extent the boundaries are arbitrary (in urban areas at least). Consider why has there been no maps showing the large areas outside of Dublin yet? Answer, because they will be controversial, with people finding themselves on the wrong side of arbitrary boundaries etc.

The original project board did not want a random/hidden code. It's a reasonable question that has never been answered satisfactorily as to why we are getting one. The argument about building new houses in between existing ones is bogus. The obvious reason is to protect the proprietary value in the code itself.

But, a few people here don't want this being discussed - looking forward to the thread being locked etc :):)

Was thinking about starting a thread "Eircode" for discussion on the actual code and its introduction

Ohhhhh it'll be a nay-sayers paradise....:rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

plodder wrote: »
    The argument about building new houses in between existing ones is bogus.

It makes perfect sense to me.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense to me.
    Why aren't house numbers random then?

having house numbers sequential means we end up with "5a" or people not using a numer at all and calling there house "Lovely Villa" making it awkward, it makes sense not introduce this issue with post codes, meaning you avoid having to recode every house on a street when a new build goes in

My house doesn't have a number.

having house numbers sequential means we end up with "5a" or people not using a numer at all and calling there house "Lovely Villa" making it awkward, it makes sense not introduce this issue with post codes, meaning you avoid having to recode every house on a street when a new build goes in
    So, house numbers should have been random then? Interesting..

Though we don't renumber streets when a new build goes in and I suspect An Post are happy to deal with the odd anomaly given that the vast majority of houses don't actually have to deal with another house springing up next door :)

And sure, lots of houses don't have numbers. But, I doubt a housing estate has ever been built that didn't have a simple sequential numbering scheme -- or ever will be built for that matter.

So, house numbers should have been random then? Interesting..

Though we don't renumber streets when a new build goes in and I suspect An Post are happy to deal with the odd anomaly given that the vast majority of houses don't actually have to deal with another house springing up next door :)

And sure, lots of houses don't have numbers. But, I doubt a housing estate has ever been built that didn't have a simple sequential numbering scheme -- or ever will be built for that matter.

You have a very urban-centric view on the issue.

Actually in some estates I hear they are slightly random and illogical as the numbers were assigned once the house was connected to the ESB.... Or so it's said.

Elements of Eircode are random. Seriously just use the thing and accept it isn't perfect but nothing is (after all it's Ireland we live in...). :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Doesn't matter, since only every 3rd street and 5th house in Ireland actually display a name, number or any identifying mark whatsoever, nobody cares about it. Postie just sees the name and knows it's your house. I still get letters sent to my old address. I moved out there 9 years ago. Since it's the same postie, he knows me and I get my letters.
    This only goes wrong when he's on holidays. The my mail usually ends up with any of the other 3 Germans living in my area. And I get theirs.
    Hopefully no more, IF this thing ever gets introduced.
    In Ireland (and I'm sure a lot of other places) you can usually double the time and triple the budget on any public projects.

• Advertisement

Actually in some estates I hear they are slightly random and illogical as the numbers were assigned once the house was connected to the ESB.... Or so it's said.

Elements of Eircode are random. Seriously just use the thing and accept it isn't perfect but nothing is (after all it's Ireland we live in...). :P

there are pro's and con's of every code, in my honest opinion Eircode is the most versitile for ALL things a postcode is needed for.

people cant get their head around this, they think "oh yeah we should have used loc8 because thats brilliant at location" but it would be to the detriment of all the other areas a code is needed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »

its only a "comprimise" in the eyes of a small few (altho they are very vocal) and those few are either people with a vested interest in another code, pure ignorant of postcodes, or just have an issue with anything the government does.

there are pro's and con's of every code, in my honest opinion Eircode is the most versitile for ALL things a postcode is needed for.

people cant get their head around this, they think "oh yeah we should have used loc8 because thats brilliant at location" but it would be to the detriment of all the other areas a code is needed for.

Exactly. I've sent 1000s of letters, looked for many a house, business or address in my time. I have never had to phone the mountain rescue. If I did happen to be on a mountain, I'd have a GPS no doubt.....

Exactly. I've sent 1000s of letters, looked for many a house, business or address in my time. I have never had to phone the mountain rescue. If I did happen to be on a mountain, I'd have a GPS no doubt.....

and the EU are already working on this solution for emeregncy services, it doesnt need any code, it just sends your phones location directly to emergency services when you call them, its called E112. much better than trying to download an app on the side of a mountain and generate a code and then remember the code and call it back to an emergency worker over the phone.

people just dont know what it can do yet, they've never had it so they dont know what they are missing.

No one knew they wanted an iPhone until Apple started marketing it. when phones were getting smaller and smaller in the 90's and if you took a poll to ask people back then "do you want a bigger phone screen" the answer would have been "no, sur what use would i have for it"

Wrong attitude perhaps (but Ireland doesn't do simple solutions - it's incapable) Coming on boards and telling us how wrong it is isn't going to help or change it either.

Hardly botched is it really? Also you're not going to accept Eircode? I seriously think you will use it at some point though....

• Advertisement

its a poll on the hypothetical, its not real to anyone yet, its bound to be a bit off, people arent thinking about it and then just asked out of the blue to comment, once it launches and people get tlaking about it and actually have a code, then it will dawn on them more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement